Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon) by Dan…

Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon) (original 2000; edition 2003)

by Dan Brown

Member:usmanilyas
Title:Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon)
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Atria (2003), Edition: 1st Atria Books Hardcover Ed, Hardcover, 592 pages

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (2000)

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (dezert)
    dezert: It's the sequel
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (craigim, JoK)
    JoK: Delved the enigma of the Illuminati a decade before (and in more detail) than Dan Brown.
    The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea (craigim, CarlosMcRey)
    CarlosMcRey: About as historically accurate but much more fun.
    The Fire Gospel: The Myth of Prometheus by Michel Faber (2810michael)
    2810michael: Necessary to read after Dan Brown...
    The Fire by Katherine Neville (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Both works feature mystic orders carrying secret information. Both are founded on just enough history to leave you wondering if really could be true.
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The probably broach is a story of government secrecy, and cover ups. Its the story of a adventure so filled with wonder it can only be called Science Fiction. It's a mystery that needs to be solved. You need to read this book
    Darkness Left Undone by Carl Henegan (Alexandria_annex)
    Alexandria_annex: Darkness Left Undone is the second book in a series with Bartender Mike who gets caught up in international intrigue. I found Dan Brown's books and Carl Henegan's books both share similar themes and energy intensities and I like both authors styles very much.… (more)
    The Hidden Ones by Nancy Madore (Freddul)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: This award-winning bestseller is a Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    The Moses Legacy by Adam Palmer (Farringdon)
    Farringdon: Same genre
    The Rozabal Line by Ashwin Sanghi (JuliaMaria)
    The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (VictoriaPL)
    The Seville Communion by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Alixtii)
    The Pope's Assassin by Luís M. Rocha (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Conspiracy at the highest levels of the Church.
    Hard Whispers by Pamela Martin (Alexandria_annex)
    Alexandria_annex: I thought Hard Whispers had the same not stop action feel that kept me on the edge of the seat.

English (647)  Dutch (17)  Spanish (7)  German (7)  French (6)  Italian (5)  Danish (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (1)  Tagalog (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (706)
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. It was a great read a real page turner. Looking forward to reading more books by Dan Brown. ( )
  CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |
I’ve always found the conspiracy and the theology and the science in Angels and Demons fascinating. It’s been over a decade since I have read the book, so most of what I remembered of it comes from the movie (which, in all fairness, I still think is a fantastic interpretation). It seemed time to revisit, so here I am!

Most of this is still very good. The pacing keeps you on your feet the whole time. The treasure map through Rome is fascinating – even though there’s murder, Dan Brown has done a fantastic job making the reader excited for the next stop. As a historian, this part is what I gobble up, even though the situation in which Vittoria and Robert Langdon find themselves following the markers is horrible. There is an ancient beauty to Rome and the Vatican that Dan Brown manages to bring to life, despite the grisly circumstances. Following the Path of Illumination is, to me, the most incredible part of this story and it is situated so well in the middle of the book that it makes a great deal of the story fly by.

All that said, there’s some aspects here that I don’t like as much. I’ve reviewed very little of the Robert Langdon series on the blog because most of it, I’ve read while I’ve been on (sometimes year-long) hiatus. Nevertheless, there’s this running theme that Dan Brown introduces a “strong female co-star”, then uses none of her skill and lets her be a ride-along for Langdon. It happens in every single book and in this world of strong female heroes, it’s a constant pet peeve. Vittoria is one of the most glaring in this respect – she’s a renown scientist who knows a great deal about the anti-matter technology explored in Angels and Demons and yet, she is constantly shut down and out by the men. All the men – not just Langdon. Vittoria’s biggest moment in Angels and Demons is when she is bound and gagged and about to be raped and BAM! In runs Langdon to save the day! This scene had absolutely no significance to the greater storyline, and just gave Langdon a bit of a hero moment. It’s… exasperating. Plus now we have a rape trigger warning and there’s no point in this scene existing. Period. Adds nothing, belittles the woman, and we already have plenty to be disgusted about in the Hassassin, thanks.

Which brings me to the next frustration here – the Hassassin. Really, Dan Brown could have chosen anyone to be the criminal in this story, but instead, he went with a grossly damaging stereotype and created a brutish African man to be the unenlightened, virtue-less assassin. Time and again, the Hassassin is portrayed more as a scruple-less animal than a man, taking joy from murder and raping and killing women effortlessly. This is just… so disappointing. I mean, it’s just… between Vittoria and the Hassassin, it feels very much like this is just another book written by a Typical Racist Sexist White Male Author and it’s disappointing because outside of some terrible characterization choices, this book is interesting. Beyond Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, I do feel like Brown has been more careful in casting his villains, but in these first two books… this is cringy.

It’s funny to me that The Da Vinci Code was the one that blew up, because to me, the story in Angels and Demons is so much more interesting. It’s difficult, even now, for creative types to take on religious themes without receiving significant criticism. The secret history behind the Catholic Church and the conversation about some of its darker dealings are all reflective on true history, and it’s part of what lends me to be so fascinated in these novels. I applaud Brown’s ability to balance the virtues of science and religion in this novel, showing both good and bad sides to each and generally being respectful to both institutions. That takes some nuance, and he’s done it well.

So many fans of the Robert Langdon series start with The Da Vinci Code and never look back, so to you I say, please read Angels and Demons! The discussions of creationism and the marriage of science and religion and the chase around Rome are all fascinating! There are some issues at its core, but generally speaking this is very much a book worth reading and if you enjoy thrillers, especially scientific thrillers, this is a great book. Plus it’s a historical treasure hunt and has some great theological conversations and it’s altogether a good intellectual experience with lots of thrills and twists and turns. I definitely recommend it. ( )
  Morteana | Jun 3, 2019 |
El mayor enemigo de la Iglesia amenaza con destruirla desde sus cimientos.Robert Langdon, experto en simbología, es convocado a un centro de investigación suizo para analizar un misterioso signo marcado a fuego en el pecho de un físico asesinado. Allí, Langdon descubre el resurgimiento de una antigua hermandad secreta: los illuminati, que han emergido de las sombras para llevar a cabo la fase final de una legendaria venganza contra su enemigo más odiado: la Iglesia católica.Los peores temores de Langdon se confirman cuando los illuminati anuncian que han escondido una bomba en el corazón de la Ciudad del Vaticano. Con la cuenta atrás en marcha, Langdon viaja a Roma para unir fuerzas con Vittoria Vetra, una bella y misteriosa científica. Los dos se embarcarán en una desesperada carrera contrarreloj por los rincones menos conocidos del Vaticano.Ángeles y demonios, la primera aventura del carismático e inolvidable Robert Langdon, es un adictivo y trepidantethrillersobre la eterna pugna entre ciencia y religión. Esta lucha se convierte en una verdadera guerra que pondrá en jaque a toda la humanidad, que deberá luchar hasta el último minuto para evitar un gran desastre
  Haijavivi | Jun 2, 2019 |
Prequel to the Da Vinci Code. I found this book to be even better than the Da Vinci Code. Lots of historical locations & artifacts are included in this book along with references to the Knights Templar. One of my favorite books of all time. ( )
1 vote d1amondg1rl | May 13, 2019 |
One of my favourites :) ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
Pitting scientific terrorists against the cardinals of Vatican City, this well-plotted if over-the-top thriller is crammed with Vatican intrigue and high-tech drama... Though its premises strain credulity, Brown's tale is laced with twists and shocks that keep the reader wired right up to the last revelation.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (May 1, 2000)

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hernandez, RodCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poe, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Blythe...
Physicist Leonardo Vetra smelled burning flesh, and he knew it was his own.
Do NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs or other video formats) with the book.

World-renowned Harvard University symbologist Robert Langdon recieved a summons to the Swiss CERN research facility to investigate the murder of one of their physicist. His murder was at the hands of the thought-to-be dead society known as the Illuminati. After his death, it is revealed that the Illuminati has stolen a very crucial piece of technology the physicist has invented, and they threaten to vaporize Vatican City during conclave. They also claim that they have kidnapped the four cardinals most likely to be elected pope and threaten to kill them. With the Swiss Army's hands tied as they attempt to keep this situation away from the media, Robert Langdon teams up with the physicist's daughter, Vittoria Vetra, to travel to the Vatican to end the chaos before midnight strikes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027360, Mass Market Paperback)

It takes guts to write a novel that combines an ancient secret brotherhood, the Swiss Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire, a papal conclave, mysterious ambigrams, a plot against the Vatican, a mad scientist in a wheelchair, particles of antimatter, jets that can travel 15,000 miles per hour, crafty assassins, a beautiful Italian physicist, and a Harvard professor of religious iconology. It takes talent to make that novel anything but ridiculous. Kudos to Dan Brown (Digital Fortress) for achieving the nearly impossible. Angels & Demons is a no-holds-barred, pull-out-all-the-stops, breathless tangle of a thriller--think Katherine Neville's The Eight (but cleverer) or Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum (but more accessible).

Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is shocked to find proof that the legendary secret society, the Illuminati--dedicated since the time of Galileo to promoting the interests of science and condemning the blind faith of Catholicism--is alive, well, and murderously active. Brilliant physicist Leonardo Vetra has been murdered, his eyes plucked out, and the society's ancient symbol branded upon his chest. His final discovery, antimatter, the most powerful and dangerous energy source known to man, has disappeared--only to be hidden somewhere beneath Vatican City on the eve of the election of a new pope. Langdon and Vittoria, Vetra's daughter and colleague, embark on a frantic hunt through the streets, churches, and catacombs of Rome, following a 400-year-old trail to the lair of the Illuminati, to prevent the incineration of civilization.

Brown seems as much juggler as author--there are lots and lots of balls in the air in this novel, yet Brown manages to hurl the reader headlong into an almost surreal suspension of disbelief. While the reader might wish for a little more sardonic humor from Langdon, and a little less bombastic philosophizing on the eternal conflict between religion and science, these are less fatal flaws than niggling annoyances--readers should have no trouble skimming past them and immersing themselves in a heck of a good read. "Brain candy" it may be, but my! It's tasty. --Kelly Flynn

Look Inside the Motion Picture Angels & Demons (Sony Pictures, 2009)
Click on each image below to see a larger view

Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca with College of Cardinals

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon and Ayelet Zurer as Vittoria Vetra

Armin Mueller-Stahl as Straus and Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon, Ayelet Zurer as Vittoria Vetra, and Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca

Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

A collection of some of the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright's most definitive works includes "All My Sons," "Death of a Salesman," "The Crucible," "A View from the Bridge," and five additional plays.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible