Angels & Demons: A Novel (Robert Langdon) by…

Angels & Demons: A Novel (Robert Langdon) (original 2000; edition 2006)

by Dan Brown

Member:BerndS
Title:Angels & Demons: A Novel (Robert Langdon)
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Washington Square Press (2006), Ausgabe: Reprint, Paperback, 496 Seiten

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (2000)

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (dezert)
    dezert: It's the sequel
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (craigim, JoK)
    JoK: Delved the enigma of the Illuminati a decade before (and in more detail) than Dan Brown.
    The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea (craigim, CarlosMcRey)
    CarlosMcRey: About as historically accurate but much more fun.
    The Fire Gospel: The Myth of Prometheus by Michel Faber (2810michael)
    2810michael: Necessary to read after Dan Brown...
    The Fire by Katherine Neville (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Both works feature mystic orders carrying secret information. Both are founded on just enough history to leave you wondering if really could be true.
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: This award-winning bestseller is a Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    Darkness Left Undone by Carl Henegan (Alexandria_annex)
    Alexandria_annex: Darkness Left Undone is the second book in a series with Bartender Mike who gets caught up in international intrigue. I found Dan Brown's books and Carl Henegan's books both share similar themes and energy intensities and I like both authors styles very much.… (more)
    The Hidden Ones by Nancy Madore (Freddul)
    The Rozabal Line by Ashwin Sanghi (JuliaMaria)
    The Moses Legacy by Adam Palmer (Farringdon)
    Farringdon: Same genre
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The probably broach is a story of government secrecy, and cover ups. Its the story of a adventure so filled with wonder it can only be called Science Fiction. It's a mystery that needs to be solved. You need to read this book
    The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (VictoriaPL)
    The Seville Communion by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Alixtii)
    The Pope's Assassin by Luís M. Rocha (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Conspiracy at the highest levels of the Church.
    Hard Whispers by Pamela Martin (Alexandria_annex)
    Alexandria_annex: I thought Hard Whispers had the same not stop action feel that kept me on the edge of the seat.

English (641)  Dutch (17)  Spanish (7)  German (7)  Italian (5)  French (5)  Danish (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (1)  Tagalog (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (699)
My first Robert Langdon book, and perhaps the best one in the series. I flew through it and couldn't put it down! ( )
  inguyen | Nov 30, 2018 |
Even though the movie featured legendary Tom Hanks, the book still does a much better job of portraying the story than the movie did. Robert Langdon is the character neither very close to nor very far from the reader. Throughout the story, you neither develop an affinity nor a resentment to his existence. He just comes across as a fluid protagonist, caught in a situation, dealing with it as it comes. Suspense and thriller are very well maintained throughout the book. The Illuminati angle does raise a lot of expectations but is a bit of downer at the end. ( )
  Varun.Sayal | Nov 15, 2018 |
Robert Langdon , professor of religious symbology at Harvard is called to CERN to investigate the murder of reputed scientist Dr. Vetra accompanied by Vittoria (the daughter of Dr. Vetra . In order to find the truth the clues led them to sacred Vatican city and the secret place of illuminati which leads a connection with the four missing cardinal and a hint by villain to murder them in the name of science ... Robert Langdon , professor of religious symbology at Harvard is called to CERN to investigate the murder of reputed scientist Dr.vetra whoes chest is engraved with the long lost symbol of Illuminati "a group who oppose superstition " . Langdon was accompanied by our heroine Vittoria daughter of vetra . In order to find the truth the clues led them to sacred Vatican city later they found out that the murder is done by a hassain (our assassin ) who leaves clues about the missing cardinal and how he us going to murder them in name of science . . .
Brown combines spirituality, mystery,art,history,science in a way that it become an international best seller .
I wanted to read this book after my friend kept suggesting me to read it . so I borrowed this book from her and surprised to find out that the story revolves around church , Renaissance painting, its perfectly piloted with twist and shocks and kept reader engaged till last .
This book created a spark in me to read more about Renaissance paontings,sculpture and all those sites places churches which Dan browed depicted in a very beautiful manner . and I was kind of lucky enough because my one main paper is all about Rome and Renaissance and this book inspired me to learn more about it .
Like every book of Dan brown the chapter is short ,cliff hanger , a page turner . you cannt leave it without finishing .What I really loved about this book is how Brown used history , art,symbols,sculpture to twist and plot the scene and linked it with the scert of iilumati hiding place , the four elements how its linked with most famous chruces and monuments of Renaissance period and which aost linked to the famous sculpturist painter who are secretly linked with illuminati. And how our villain uses those spots to make murder more remembrable.
Most intrestingly which I liked about this book is how Dan brwon uses words to depict the whole murder scene which can create goosebumps totally evil and related to four elements.
Though I don't like some graphics , I think it gives a negative impression of religion like the way he use hassain (Muslim ) and his lust towards girls .
But over and all its a good read but if u want an actual fact with thriller about catholic arena then I would recommend you to read " The name of Rose by Umberto eco" . ( )
  anjedahs | Nov 1, 2018 |
This is a near-future thriller about an Illuminati plot to destroy the Vatican, or maybe something else entirely is going on, but saying anything else would be a spoiler. The plot is exciting, the characters are very good; indeed, it's a tribute to how good these things are that I kept reading despite all the times I got kicked out of the plot by the author's own startling ignorance on things that could have been easily checked--some of them in any decent desk dictionary, such as the meaning of the word "canonization". At some points, Mr. Brown appears to think that it means "ordination". At other points, that's not a possible reading of his usage of it, but neither is the correct meaning a possible reading. He has notions about how papal elections work which are wrong, and which are clearly wrong just from an examination of the results of the last few, and which are important to the plot. There are other instances where he's assuming a general ignorance that seems improbable to me, although, given that Mr. Brown clearly has no clue what "canonization" means, I may be overly optimistic. The instance of this that hit me over the head at the beginning of the book: Our Hero, Robert Langdon, is a Harvard professor, who has written a book that makes him a magnet for conspiracy theorists whose obsessions center around the Illuminati. He has a website on which he has no contact information, in the interest of making it a little bit harder for the kooks to find him in the real world. He gets a phone call from someone who has found him through his website and wants him to come immediately to consult on a matter relating to his specialty, religious symbology--but the caller doesn't say where he's calling from. He does say that he has already sent a plane to pick up Langdon, and he can be at the destination in about an hour. He also says that he located Dr. Langdon through his website, and when Langdon says that's not possible, he says that he's from the laboratory where the Web was invented.

At this point, of course, a little bell went "ding" and I said, "But CERN is a lot more than an hour away from Boston."

Dr. Langdon does not say this, or think it, or anything similar. He does not realize until he's disembarking from the spiffy new space plane that the mysterious caller sent that he's not in North America anymore. (The space plane is a CERN invention, too.) There follows a discussion of how Americans all think that the Worldwide Web is American technology. Unfortunately, the content of the discussion leaves me in some doubt as to whether Mr. Brown realizes that there's a difference between the internet and the web, and that the internet is American technology.

The yawning factual errors in this book left me wondering how many yawning factual errors I was missing because I don't know enough about, say, anti-matter, or Renaissance art. Don't read it if you're feeling at all sensitive to such errors. If you're in the mood for a good brain-candy thriller, though, and prepared to slide over the factual errors, it's great fun. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Good book! You get way more details about the illuminati than you do from the movie. Good read. ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
Pitting scientific terrorists against the cardinals of Vatican City, this well-plotted if over-the-top thriller is crammed with Vatican intrigue and high-tech drama... Though its premises strain credulity, Brown's tale is laced with twists and shocks that keep the reader wired right up to the last revelation.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (May 1, 2000)

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hernandez, RodCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poe, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Blythe...
Physicist Leonardo Vetra smelled burning flesh, and he knew it was his own.
Do NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs or other video formats) with the book.

World-renowned Harvard University symbologist Robert Langdon recieved a summons to the Swiss CERN research facility to investigate the murder of one of their physicist. His murder was at the hands of the thought-to-be dead society known as the Illuminati. After his death, it is revealed that the Illuminati has stolen a very crucial piece of technology the physicist has invented, and they threaten to vaporize Vatican City during conclave. They also claim that they have kidnapped the four cardinals most likely to be elected pope and threaten to kill them. With the Swiss Army's hands tied as they attempt to keep this situation away from the media, Robert Langdon teams up with the physicist's daughter, Vittoria Vetra, to travel to the Vatican to end the chaos before midnight strikes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027360, Mass Market Paperback)

It takes guts to write a novel that combines an ancient secret brotherhood, the Swiss Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire, a papal conclave, mysterious ambigrams, a plot against the Vatican, a mad scientist in a wheelchair, particles of antimatter, jets that can travel 15,000 miles per hour, crafty assassins, a beautiful Italian physicist, and a Harvard professor of religious iconology. It takes talent to make that novel anything but ridiculous. Kudos to Dan Brown (Digital Fortress) for achieving the nearly impossible. Angels & Demons is a no-holds-barred, pull-out-all-the-stops, breathless tangle of a thriller--think Katherine Neville's The Eight (but cleverer) or Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum (but more accessible).

Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is shocked to find proof that the legendary secret society, the Illuminati--dedicated since the time of Galileo to promoting the interests of science and condemning the blind faith of Catholicism--is alive, well, and murderously active. Brilliant physicist Leonardo Vetra has been murdered, his eyes plucked out, and the society's ancient symbol branded upon his chest. His final discovery, antimatter, the most powerful and dangerous energy source known to man, has disappeared--only to be hidden somewhere beneath Vatican City on the eve of the election of a new pope. Langdon and Vittoria, Vetra's daughter and colleague, embark on a frantic hunt through the streets, churches, and catacombs of Rome, following a 400-year-old trail to the lair of the Illuminati, to prevent the incineration of civilization.

Brown seems as much juggler as author--there are lots and lots of balls in the air in this novel, yet Brown manages to hurl the reader headlong into an almost surreal suspension of disbelief. While the reader might wish for a little more sardonic humor from Langdon, and a little less bombastic philosophizing on the eternal conflict between religion and science, these are less fatal flaws than niggling annoyances--readers should have no trouble skimming past them and immersing themselves in a heck of a good read. "Brain candy" it may be, but my! It's tasty. --Kelly Flynn

Look Inside the Motion Picture Angels & Demons (Sony Pictures, 2009)
Click on each image below to see a larger view

Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca with College of Cardinals

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon and Ayelet Zurer as Vittoria Vetra

Armin Mueller-Stahl as Straus and Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon, Ayelet Zurer as Vittoria Vetra, and Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca

Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

A collection of some of the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright's most definitive works includes "All My Sons," "Death of a Salesman," "The Crucible," "A View from the Bridge," and five additional plays.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,851,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible