Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book: A Primer for…

Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book: A Primer for Adults Only (edition 1985)

by Shel Silverstein

Member:xydexx
Title:Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book: A Primer for Adults Only
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Info:Fireside (1985), Paperback, 80 pages

Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book: A Primer for Adults Only by Shel Silverstein

this book isnt the typical alphabet book. it is intended to amuse an older group of readers, rather than educate younger ones.
  nkertz | Dec 4, 2011 |
I just bought this book for the third time. Possibly the fourth. I don't know what happened to the copies I used to have, but I hope they've found good homes.

Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book is utterly brilliant. It is among the funniest books I have ever read, and may well be the funniest, full stop. But it is also a litmus test for people with a warped sense of humor. This is for those who like their comedy dark. Those in that camp will be rolling in the aisles; those who don't either won't find it funny or will find it outright offensive.

(I love that this is from the same guy who brought us The Giving Tree. Uncle Shelby was large; he contained multitudes.) ( )
  Shmuel510 | Jul 25, 2011 |
I can't say I found this book fun. I found the potty humor a bit annoying. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jun 8, 2011 |
This is NOT for children - and unless you like very dark humor ("B is for Baby....Mommy loves the baby more than she loves you"), skip this one.

I found this awesome and disturbing, and immediately ordered copies for myself and for my younger brother, who also enjoys truly messed-up jokes.

Recommended for adults who like their humor sick and wrong! ( )
  kayceel | Aug 31, 2009 |
Negative Stars! I realize this book is for adults only. I am sure there is a market out there for this type of humor but it is definitely not up my alley. I do not find it funny or amusing in any way. I was shocked that the author of one my favorite childhood books, "The Giving Tree", could have written such a disturbing book. On a side note, I gave the book to my Dad who thought it was great and that I should read parts of it to my 5 year old daughter to teach her that not everything in life is as it seems at first. I could see where perhaps a few of the pages might work out that way but for the most part I would like to stay far away from the book.
  mcarper | Jul 19, 2009 |
Uncle Shelby is here to teach the kids the alphabet (mostly -- his alphabet goes abzdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyc) with a series of nasty, laugh-out-loud funny exercises and misinformative advice that nearly cost me a keyboard, as I happened to be drinking water while reading it.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 9, 2009)

A humorous alphabet book for adults, teaching ABC lessons parents would never want their children to learn, such as I is for ink (which rhymes with drink) and K is for kidnapper (who has a lollipop and a keen car).

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,699,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible