Blue is for Nightmares (Stolarz Series) by…

Blue is for Nightmares (Stolarz Series) (edition 2003)

by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Member:yrizaria
Title:Blue is for Nightmares (Stolarz Series)
Authors:Laurie Faria Stolarz
Info:Llewellyn Publications (2003), Paperback, 283 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Rating:**
Tags:paranormal

Blue is for Nightmares (Stolarz Series) by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Sixteen year old boarding school student Stacey Brown suffers from nightmares, but they aren't the typical sort; these nightmares are about her best friend Drea being in serious danger. And Stacey isn't typical either; she is a witch, and in the past has had psychic dreams before. So when she has these nightmares, Stacey is certain that they are premonitions, and she has to save Drea, who the two find out is being stalked.

This isn't the kind of book one in a series that drags out. Things conclude in the very same book. I appreciated that. I also appreciated Stacey's creepy nightmares, the way Stolarz's writing could easily transport me into the scene, and any time Stacey performed a spell or ritual. The Magic and darkness are the best part, and it was difficult to do anything else but read just to find out who the stalker is.

Beyond that, I struggled. I liked Stacey. Stacey is a good girl, and she means well, even though she is seriously crushing on Drea's on again-off again boyfriend Chad. My problem is with Drea. For being Stacey's best friend, she sure gave a lot of attitude, and was quite mean to her throughout most of the book. Drea is a brat, and there was really no camaraderie between the two girls, making the friendship unbelievable, and causing me to have no sympathy for Drea's stalker situtation.

Throughout the book, Stacey, Drea, and their also difficult to like friend Amber try to deal with the stalker mostly on their own, and There are a lot of moments where the characters get distracted and make a lot of jokes, causing Stacey to have to get them back on track and take things seriously. This is something I felt perhaps mostly younger readers wouldn't mind, but for me it could be irritating.

Most of the characters are clichés, but I found that actually worked to balance out all the darkness. It was just so difficult to get past what an awful friend Drea is. This did improve a bit past the halfway mark, and it was then I really couldn't put the book down.

While not the best book I've read in a while, Blue is for Nightmares has a pretty good whodunnit, and if you can get past the bad, unbelievable friendships, the darkness and magic might actually be worth it. ( )
  imagiphantaria | Oct 16, 2016 |
Stacy starts having nightmares about her friend Drea being kidnapped. She knows that they mean something because this has happened to her before. In the past she ignored them and lost someone she loved because of it. This time Stacy plans on preventing the murder. There were a couple things in this book that struck me as false; it doesn't seem to take place now, it has kind of a mid 90s feel, which is weird. It seems unbelievable that only one student at this wealthy prep school has a cell phone. Also everyone is catty and bitchy, it seems as though no one is nice to each other, even best friends. I am not saying people have to be nice to each other all the time, but best friends usually have boundaries they wont cross with each other and that doesn't seem to exist here. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Although this book says it is the first in the series, I felt like I came in the middle of something and it took me most of the book to catch up. I'm going to give the next book a try but I'm questioning??? ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 21, 2013 |

Sixteen-year-old hereditary witch Stacey Brown has nightmares of her roommate being murdered and hopes that her magic will be enough to protect Drea--unlike the last person whose death Stacey dreamed.

"I Know Your Secret . . ."

Boarding school junior Stacey Brown has nightmares too real to ignore.  Her nightmares come true. This time they're about Drea, her best friend who's become the target of one seriously psycho stalker. To  try and protect her, Stacey's working with what she knows-candles, cards, incantations, and spells...

In this Deluxe Spellbook Edition you'll find:

Spells created by You and other keepers of secrets-poems, spells and meditations contributed by fans of this popular series. Extras also include an interview with the author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:02 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old hereditary witch Stacey Brown has nightmares of her roommate being murdered and hopes that her magick will be enough to protect Drea--unlike the last person whose death Stacey dreamed.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,668,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible