Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Going in to Spellbound I truly had no idea what I was in store for. I rather like going into a book with little to no knowledge about what's inside. I feel like it makes the book that much more of an experience. So, when I opened up to the first page I had no expectations other than to read a good story.

As a character, Emma is a sweetheart. Really and truly. She wants to blend into the background, but her bubbly personality just won't let her. As a result she attracts a lot of attention, both good and bad. Emma is spunky, outspoken, and just a lovable character. The fact that she isn't afraid to stand up for herself made me dance around the room. A female character who isn't a shrinking violet? Yes please! Add in her friendship with her younger cousin, and you have a character that I really fell in love with.

Sadly, that's where the love affair ended for me. Emma's interactions with the characters around her were fun, but those characters were kind of one-dimensional to me. Even Brendan, who she is inexplicably drawn to, didn't really come to life. In fact I sometimes found myself annoyed with him. I won't spoil, but the way he reacts to their attraction rather bothered me. I just felt like their story was so contrived. Girl meets boy, is inexplicably drawn to boy, unforseen circumstances keep them apart, cue ending that I won't spoil. That's it.

To be honest, I think I was just expecting a little bit more from these characters, and so Spellbound was a "just so" book for me. I liked it, but I didn't fall in love with it. Like all books that fall into this category for me, it just didn't have that spark that will keep me coming back. I'm fully willing to admit I might be a bit jaded due to all the books in this genre I've read lately. I can see a lot of people falling in love with Emma and Brendan's story.

Recommended to those looking for a sweet read, with a paranormal twist.
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
So honestly I feel sorry for any book i read right now. I have just not been able to enjoy any of the ones I've picked up in the last few weeks. I hate insta-love.... you know what makes insta-love even worse? when it's riddled with unnecessary angst (a la Twilight)

I should have known by the description that this wouldn't have been my cup of tea but I gave it a shot anyway and that's my fault. I liked Emma she seemed pretty relatable at the beginning, but the whole paranormal aspect was just off it almost seemed like two stories taking place at once. ( )
  NerdyHousewifey | Feb 1, 2019 |
It started good but after Emma meets Brendan, her whole life revolves around him. ( )
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |
First read: April 4, 2012
Initial rating: 4/5

Re-read: September 11, 2016
Rating: 3/5

Holy hell, I didn't realize I've already read this, not until I checked in Goodreads.

...it just means the story was not really memorable...?
---
"Is it too soon?"

Yes, I say it's too soon to say 'I love you'.

But I was still kilig.

*same old tropes ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Sep 11, 2016 |
After her alcoholic step-father endangers her one too many times, Emma goes to stay with her aunt on the Upper East Side. She's nervous about her fancy new private school, but quickly finds friends and a crush--the mysterious Brendan. Based on popping streetlights and a few dreams, Emma convinces herself that she's the reincarnation of Brendan's ancestor's long lost love. I was too bored by the paint-by-numbers YA love story and basic writing (which is bad when relating the present day but DIRE when it talks about the past) to push through this. If there'd been more attention to the magical parts of this story, maybe I'd have persevered, but there's only the barest brush of the supernatural here--just enough to give Brendan and Emma immediate crushes on each other and a star-crossed reason to stay apart. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
It's always embarrassing to have someone take you to school.

Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.

When prep school newcomer Emma Conner meets the rich, charming Brendan Salinger, she is instantly attracted to him, but strange visions of her past lives begin warning her to stay away or face a cursed prophecy that she will die.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,563,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible