Burning for Revenge by John Marsden

Burning for Revenge (1997)

by John Marsden

Series: The Tomorrow Series (5)

Burning for Revenge by John Marsden is the fifth book in his Tomorrow series, my current favorite YA adventure series. The small group of teenagers are continuing to battle against the invaders but their biggest hope is that they can be reunited with their families and find a place of safety. More by accident than with any deliberate planning they manage to infiltrate an important air base and deliver a colossal amount of damage. Once again they are being hunted and are on the run. They decided to lie low for awhile and choose Ellie’s grandmother’s place which although abandoned and derelict makes a great hide-out.

While all the relationships within the group are constantly evolving, Ellie and Lee seem to be growing apart. Lee starts to take himself out alone at night and Ellie fears that he is continuing to wage war and will bring the soldiers down on them. When she follows him and finds him meeting with a young woman, Ellie is devastated but she also sees that this young woman is setting Lee up to be captured. She manages to thwart the soldiers and she and Lee escape. This book ends with the group having to decide once again whether to stay in their country and continue their fight or allow a helicopter to come and lift them out. Of course, they decide to stay and fight.

Although there wasn’t anything new to this story, I still enjoyed spending time with these now familiar characters. There was a nice blend of character development and out-and-out action that kept the pages turning. There were a couple of incidents in this book that I suspect will come into play in the next book and so, the journey continues for these guerrilla fighters. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 3, 2017 |
READ IN DUTCH

My first book in the Tomorrow series for almost a year, as I've been trying to hunt down the second book that combines books 5-6-7. (The first one obviously contained numbers 1-4). I never meant it to take this long, but when I finally started it was as if I had never left Australia in the midst of their war.
As I've said a number of times before, I really liked this series. I'm a fan of dystopian stories and even if it is debatable that this is completely dystopian rather than war, I still like to think about this books as one of the first YA Dystopian novels, some sort of role model for all the rebelling (mostly) strong femaly characters to come. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
261 pages. Fiction. This book is the best of the series so far. The book looks seriously at how the war affects the characters. This book is for the older teens due to the subject matter. I found it worth reading
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
I feel that this is the best book in the Tomorrow series so far. It has so much action and intensity, yet it doesn't fail to deliver on the emotional side either. I'm glad to see the author explore not only the emotional effects of war on our protagonists, but also on others who are not directly involved in the fighting. A very action packed and thought provoking novel. Loved it and can't wait to read book six! ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dougherty, SuziNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Molly vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister Louise Marsden
with much love
The summer storms are the wildest.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439858038, Paperback)

Ellie has started to believe she won't survive the war. Their band of eight teenage guerrillas is down to five now--Robyn and Corrie and Chris are dead, and only she and Homer and Kevin and Lee and Fi are still trying to sabotage the enemy who has taken over their country. They're growing numb and soul sick from the violence, because they've been fighting for a long time--through four previous novels, actually: John Marsden's Tomorrow: When the War Began, The Dead of Night, A Killing Frost, and Darkness Be My Friend. At the same time, they are normal teens who kid around, fall in and out of love, and think long thoughts about the meaning of life.

It is this poignant human dimension that lifts Marsden's series above the run-of-the-mill spy action novel--that and the fact that nobody is better at writing about things blowing up. And his scenes leading up to the explosion create tension so powerful it is almost unbearable to keep on reading--but impossible not to. In Burning for Revenge, the five have been abandoned in enemy territory when the New Zealand general decides that they are not valuable enough to send a rescue helicopter. Without any definite plans, they sneak into the back of a truck, only to find themselves at the end of the ride deep within the enemy's airfield. How they battle out of the situation and leave the enemy's air power in ruins makes a breathlessly exciting story that will not disappoint the many teen fans of this excellent series. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:10 -0400)

Having been separated from the New Zealand rescue troops they were guiding, five Australian teenagers continue their resistance against the unknown enemy invading their homeland.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,515,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible