Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects

by Gillian Flynn

3,1032131,825 (3.73)1 / 287
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)

English (209)  Dutch (3)  All languages (212)
Poignant, vivid, and tragic, this tale of a series of child murders in a small Missouri town manages to haunt you even after the book is closed. It twists you heart and your gut, but holds you, fastened, in a morbid sort of curiosity. You know the truth will be grisly, but you have to know, and Flynn does a fantastic job in both her portrayal of a pastoral community gripped in horror, and the fundamentally flawed protagonist who must wrestle with her past and the blossoming truth that is her reality.

This book is a must, especially if you prefer gritty, hard-hitting stories in touch with human emotion in a non-exploitative sort of way. I recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in serial killers, and anyone who enjoyed the films Mystic River, Girl Interrupted, the Machinist, and also anyone who enjoys the television show Dexter. I'd equate this book with another if only I could think of any other thriller I've read that even comes close to Sharp Objects in quality. ( )
  Illise_Montoya | Sep 28, 2014 |
This book was truly amazing !
It had me on the edge of my seat almost the whole time. It's thrilling, creepy and a little sad.
I adore Gillian Flynn's writing style and her endings are always so darn good !
  lisa.isselee | Sep 26, 2014 |
I liked this book even better than Gone Girl (and yes I liked that one). It was interesting to see the relationships that the main character had grown around herself, and how being back in her childhood stomping ground reignited the same bad habits she'd developed during her teen years. The plot developed at a nice relaxed pace, but never so slow that you'd lose interest.
Very enjoyable. ( )
  kathay | Sep 26, 2014 |
I read it in one sitting. Not necessarily because it was so enthralling, but because it was an easy read. Almost all of the characters in this story were sick in some way. (Little girls can be bitches.) And the "twist" did make me cringe. Good read, but not if you are expecting something mind blowing. ( )
  KatieEmilySmith | Sep 23, 2014 |
The Basics

Camille is a reporter working out of crappy newspaper, and for once her editor wants to be on top of a story. In her hometown, young girls are being murdered, and it’s starting to look like a serial killer. Camille says she’s on the job, but she’s not entirely equipped for what going home dredges up.

My Thoughts

I got onto a real Gillian Flynn kick. Gone Girl started me out. Dark Places propelled me forward. And I ended here, with Sharp Objects. Not to spend the whole review comparing her books, but I have to say that this being her first published novel, it’s clear the sort of stories Flynn wants to tell. It’s also clear the type of women she wants to showcase. The deeply damaged Camille. The mood-swinging Amma. The hypersensitive, cringe-worthy Adora. None of them overtly likeable (though an argument could definitely be made for our heroine, Camille), and therefore all the sides of womanhood that no one wishes to acknowledge or explore. I’m glad to see Flynn exploring them, though this being her first outing, it wasn’t perfect.

There was an entire section of the book wherein she tries to explain the events taking place as being partly the fault of Camille’s dependency on Amma liking and respecting her. It took a character that, despite everything, I still liked and sent her straight into a state so pathetic I lost touch with her for a couple chapters. Others might not feel so suddenly repelled, but keep in mind that Camille is around thirty and Amma is thirteen. No matter how compelling Amma is to her, it was still an unbelievable moment for me as a reader. “Likeable” wasn’t even really the problem here. It was more a case of me clutching the book and willing her to snap out of this sudden stupidity she’s found herself in, and I didn’t like that feeling.

Otherwise, I bought the story entirely. The characters, too. It did take about fifty pages to hook me in, but once I reached that mark, I read like a speed demon. I will say that this book pissed me off royally. Not in any bad way. Typical of Flynn, it was beautifully written. It was engaging. I wanted to solve the mystery.

The ways it angered me are the ways in which a book like this should anger you. Injustice. Evil. Someone enduring a horrible thing that makes your skin crawl. Someone in pain who is being subjected to the harsh judgment of people who can’t begin to understand what they’ve been through. It’s a masterpiece of human suffering, and it pulls out all the stops, but that’s half warning, as well.

Final Rating

4/5 ( )
  Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,399,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible