Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects

by Gillian Flynn

3,4162371,583 (3.74)1 / 300
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.
    Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.

English (233)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (237)
I started this book thinking that the story was not that interesting. I was painfully aware that the author, who is from Missouri, chose to make her main character a writer from Missouri. But I fully admit that once the story took hold, it consumed me. I got lost in the narrative and that is my favorite way to read a work of fiction. Some elements of the story were predictable but there were enough twists and surprises to keep me reading until the bitter end. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Awesome read, but greatly disturbing. Very dark story and not for the weak at heart. ( )
  AMKee | Apr 12, 2015 |
Brilliant!.. 5 Stars.. Daughters - Read!.. Mothers.. Awesome!.. Great, Book - Enjoy!.. ( )
  TimNewey | Apr 2, 2015 |
Pretty disappointing, reason being I don't feel like Flynn hid the solution to the crime, the "whodunnit," well enough. It took me about a quarter of the book to figure it out. The main character, Camille, was very daft about the whole thing. Furthermore, sometimes I felt like Flynn was trying too hard with the language. It seemed like she was really going after that perfect figure of speech or metaphor and it sounded a little too polished, a little too artificial. Definitely a first novel. A good one, a promising one, and one I didn't regret reading, but still definitely a first novel. ( )
  Ginnywoolf | Mar 22, 2015 |
As with Gone Girl, this was a fast and compelling read. Flynn is a master of narrative tension, and I appreciate that in a thriller. I raced through this book. If not for work and the need to drive morning carpool I think I would have stayed up all night to finish in a single sitting. The desire to keep reading was despite the fact that I absolutely knew the identity of the killer from the very first time we met that person (no spoilers.) You may suspect a "but" coming on, and if you are, your suspicions are about to be rewarded.

There is a bitterness and ugliness about Flynn's books that exceeds those of other psychological thrillers I have read. By their very nature, books of this genre are going to include a lot of evil characters. But everyone in Flynn's books is loathsome. Really, everyone is hateful. I do not mean that these are fleshed out characters, who defy the black hat/white hat clichés. I prefer that to the old fashioned good versus evil. These characters are malignant. I felt sorry for some people, but liked none of them, rooted for none of them. I didn't even like the family members of the murder victims. Even the "nice" guys have creepy ulterior motives and some seriously damaged moral compasses. For me, I come out of Flynn's books feeling not entertained but rather soiled and sad, both weary and wary. Anyone who stays connected to the world is barraged with data which makes one feel that way. I really don't want it from my fiction. ( )
  Narshkite | Mar 9, 2015 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,708,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible