Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects

by Gillian Flynn

4,840338956 (3.73)1 / 339
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)

English (331)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (337)
GILLIAN FLYNN HAS DONE IT AGAIN.

Sharp Objects was everything I expected it to be: gritty, acerbic, twisted and entirely unpredictable.

Surprisingly, I really liked Camille as a character, something which I can't really say for any of Flynn's other protagonists. She is definitely the most likable of all of them, despite having some serious flaws. Her tenacity in the face of all her unrelenting personal demons was really commendable, something which I genuinely appreciated while reading. As for the other characters, Sharp Objects's were definitely the most... tolerable out of all of Flynn's novels, which isn't really saying much since a lot of them were still pretty perverted, just less so than Dark Places and Gone Girl.

What else can I say? Sharp Objects was superb and written with the same characteristic flair that Flynn employs in all her books. I completely devoured it.

(That ending though. I was whisper-shouting WHAT THE HELL for the entirety of the last 5 pages. JEEZ THESE PEOPLE ARE CRAZY) ( )
  fatmashahin | Sep 23, 2017 |
Where.To.Begin.

Gillian Flynn should stick to writing for Entertainment Weekly. This book sucked. I know the protagonist doesn't have to follow Webster's definition of a clean-cut "good person", but this chick (Camille Preaker) was just awful. And everything that happened was so unrealistic, I just couldn't get into it. It read like some misguided, messed up sexual fantasy that's not based on the real world.

Total waste of time. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
By the author of Gone Girl. I actually liked this one better. I thought I had a lot of things figured out, but knew there would be a surprise twist at the end. I was right. The book, told from the viewpoint of Camille, a reporter who is sent back to her hometown in Missouri to cover two recent murders of teenage girls, is very, VERY dark. Camille, by the way, is a mess, and makes some very bad decisions, but once you know her story, you sort of begin to understand why. None of the characters have very redeemable qualities, except maybe Camille's boss, Frank Curry. But you are drawn into them, and the central mystery--as well as the past mysteries that are also revealed. And yeah, I couldn't put it down. ( )
  cherybear | Jul 24, 2017 |
Gillian Flynn's first book happened be my last one but I have to say her typical dark mood is already fully grown here. A journalist traveling back to her birthplace to write about some horrible child murders. Here she has to cope with her own problematic family as well. And every day becoming more strange and sinister.... ( )
  TheCrow2 | Jul 10, 2017 |
Never in my reading life have I ever been so creeped out, generally disgusted, or had so many heebie jeebies than I did reading this book. I loved every minute of it. I would highly recommend this book to any lover of horror or murder mysteries. The best part? Didn't figure it out till the very end ( )
  JillKenna | Jul 9, 2017 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,967,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible