Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects

by Gillian Flynn

5,5413801,158 (3.74)1 / 364
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Secret Place by Tana French (wandering_star)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (373)  Dutch (5)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (380)
Read this. A great 'beach book.' I couldn't put it down! ( )
  MeeshN_AZ | Oct 18, 2018 |
(47) I am told the Netflix series is great and so of course, I need to read the book too. This is the weakest of hers that I have read. I believe it is her first. The character of Camille was not believable to me and I pretty much sussed out the plot twists in advance. A troubled young reporter goes back to her hometown in rural Missouri to get a scoop on an evolving serial murderer case for her second rate paper in Chicago. She is a local girl so maybe she can get a real human interest piece. But the pathologic patterns of her dysfunctional family and the broken woman she became re-emerge and intertwine with the story of the two murdered little girls. I will not spoil and say more.

The last 1/3rd of the novel was written rather disjointedly. It was hard to tell dream from reality and the dramatic tension rather dropped off. I wish we had spent more time on Marion and less time with the present day, Amma, who was incredibly unlikable and unbelievable. Really all of the characters were, which detracted from an otherwise good story. I mean really, what 30 something year old woman would go drinking with her 13 year old sister?

So 'Gone Girl' and 'Dark Places' are significantly better in my opinion. But I am looking for something to watch on Netflix, so here we are. A decent escapist airplane read. ( )
  jhowell | Oct 5, 2018 |
This is an extremely unpleasant book. Deliberately unpleasant, I mean. It centers on Camille Preaker, a journalist who is sent back to her home town to report on the recent murder of one young girl and the disappearance of a second. Camille, as it happens, is a deeply fucked-up person -- sorry, but there's really no other way to put that -- from a deeply fucked-up family in a town that seems to encourage fucked-upeness. The whole novel is basically a cavalcade of human awfulness, from the petty to the grotesque. (Seriously, consider this a trigger warning for just about anything you can think of.) And there are almost no characters who are entirely decent or remotely likable.

But that doesn't mean it's a bad book. Well, to be honest, for much of it I was thinking that Flynn just wasn't quite making it work. She has a great eye for realistic details, including the details of how people can be cruel to each other, but her characters, perhaps, feel just a bit too much to be entirely convincing. She did a much better job of pulling off unlikable characters and unpleasant events in Gone Girl, I was thinking, and there is clearly a reason why that was her breakout novel, and not this one.

And yet, somehow, by the end, I found myself feeling quite compelled by it, drawn into the messed-up dynamics of Camille's life and even becoming more sympathetic towards her, as well as experiencing a sort of uncomfortable train-wreck fascination with the whole thing. I am thinking, perhaps, that this is the sort of book one has to really be in the mood for, and that I wasn't when I started it, but it dragged me there by the end, whether I wanted it to or not.

Rating: Somewhat to my surprise, I think I'm giving this one a 4/5. Even though it's not something I'd go around recommending to most people. Or possibly anybody. ( )
  bragan | Sep 30, 2018 |
Camille Preaker, a Chicago reporter fresh out of rehab for cutting herself, is assigned a new story to follow -- the serial killing of young girls in a small town in Missouri. Problem is, this isn't just any small town -- it is Camille's hometown, where she has to come to terms with her own past history and that of her family.

This psychological thriller grabs you from the first pages and keeps you hooked. The characters were very interesting and the story is tightly wound. For audio readers, the narrator was fantastic with pacing, character voices, etc. There are some uncomfortable parts in the book so it's not for the squeamish, but otherwise I would recommend it. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Sep 7, 2018 |
Picked this up solely due to the tremendous HBO miniseries starring Amy Adams. Would recommend to anyone who enjoyed the show and would like a little more of the Crellin family backstory. Can honestly say that the TV show is better, and that goes against my normal view whenever I compare a book to it's adaptation. ( )
  5hrdrive | Sep 5, 2018 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,620,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible