Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects

by Gillian Flynn

3,6492541,448 (3.74)1 / 314
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (249)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (253)
Having read and enjoyed Gone Girl, I decided to pick up an earlier novel by Gillian Flynn. This was an easy and involving read, mostly because of the choice of narrator. Camille is a thirty something reporter for a Chicago paper who is sent home to cover a story about the dissapearence and possibly the second murder of a teenage girl. Since this is the small Missouri town that she fled, her editor felt it would be a good angle for her to get invovlved. But Camille left Wind Gap for a reason, it was a town that left scars. Her less that happy childhood, raised by her considerably less than maternal mother sent Camille to years of therapy and much self abuse. During the course of this return visit, Camille has to re evaluate the death of her own sister and try to understand the behavior of her younger sister Amma. This saga takes the idea of a dysfunctional family to a new level. Flynn delevers a good amount of action and readers that liked the most sinister parts of Gone Girl will not be disappointed. ( )
  novelcommentary | Sep 29, 2015 |
So because I loved Gone Girl and Dark places so much, I just had to read Sharp Objects and I am so glad I did. It was true to Gillian's MO, it was great! The ending wasn't as twisty as I thought, I had the killer figured out, but the murders didn't happen in a way I expected.
The protagonist in this book is a mentally unstable journalist (she is a cutter) and she is sent back to her home town to investigate murders of young girls. She must stay with and get to know her dysfunctional family, including her never met little sister Amma. Sadly this trip home brings up new facts and memories regarding her dead sister.
I really like Flynn's writing, she draws you in with these dysfunctional and potentially unlikable characters, but yet you keep returning because you NEED to know what happened.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 5, 2015 |
Camille, a third rate paper news reporter is assigned her hometown to investigate serials murders of young girls. In doing so she relives some of her own past mysteries. This is the author of GONE GIRL. Her writing is good but I found some of the subject matter disturbing: cutting, promiscuity in young girls, emotional and mental abuse by parents a little too much for one novel. I will not read this author any more . I recognize the fact this was her first book. ( )
  LivelyLady | Sep 4, 2015 |
Camille, whose childhood left her so damaged that she carved words all over her body, returns to her hometown as an adult journalist to report on two murders of young girls and is thrust back into her very dysfunctional family: a distant mother, a seriously disturbed half-sister, and the specter of a dead younger sister.

This is my favorite of Flynn's books, a seriously twisted thriller that takes the "unlikable female character" to a new level. Ineffective men, banality of evil, fairy tale allusions, the meanings of the words Camille carves into her own flesh, mothers and daughters, and the societal roles of women--there's a lot to unpack here. It's also a compelling read with a nice twist.

Read in 2015 for the HorrorKIT. ( )
  sturlington | Aug 24, 2015 |
Dark and disturbing. It was somewhat of a page-turner, but I did not think it was quite as compelling as Gone Girl. I was able to predict most of the twists in this one. Still, I stayed up way too late reading it! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,755,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible