Teerbemind by Gillian Flynn

Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:
Tags:misdaadroman, verenigde staten

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Recently added byChrisWay, private library, laney619, owlgirl, sarahblue, PriPri77, edelweissken, imahorcrux, Glire
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (304)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (310)
Damn. Another twisted story from Flynn. Not as good as the other books (I was actually able to call this one a both midway through), but still pretty freaking good. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Este libro es muuucho mejor que Gone Girl. Siento que tenía que decir eso por si hay alguien que, como yo, leyó Gone Girl, no le gustó y ahora cree que Gillian Flynn "no es su tipo". Si te gustan las buenas historias, Gillian Flynn definitivamente puede ser tu tipo, no tengas miedo de darle otra oportunidad. Con este libro.

Una vez aclarado eso debo admitir que estoy sorprendida. No importa cuantos programas de asesinatos vea (y debo decirles que tuve una fase en la que prácticamente lo único que veía era Investigation Discovery, así que han sido muchos programas de asesinatos), la maldad humana no deja de sorprenderme. Y este libro es todo acerca de la maldad humana, así que sí, me sorprendió.

La historia es retorcida, pero para nada pesada, por el contrario, es tan fácil de leer. Una vez que comencé no pare hasta terminarlo. Y a pesar de que ya sabía quien era el asesino (cortesía de unas reseñas sin advertencia de spoilers), la historia nunca perdió la emoción para mí. Sí claro, supongo que hubiese disfrutado más el final con el elemento sorpresa, pero aún sin eso me pareció genial.

Una historia remarcable, que ha redimido a Gillian Flynn para mi. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Sick, sick, sick. The writing was really good, but this is one twisted story. I didn't want to stop reading, but I dreaded reading it, too. It was beyond anything I could ever imagine. Not something I would read again. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
What an amazingly disturbing book. Brilliantly written but not an easy read during the stressful holiday season, especially when one comes from a strongly dysfunctional family.

The main character is a reporter, nicknamed Cubby" by her editor, of the third-tier newspaper in Chicago, and while she is smart and driven we eventually find out why she is fitted for such a tier. The initial travel she undertakes to her hometown in the boot heel town of Wind Gap, Missouri, certainly resonates for anyone who has fled from what caused them grief and has to return. Her mother is a strange woman and her younger half-sister is by turns creepy and scared. Camille begins her beat reporting investigating the deaths of two local young girls and is not really welcomed by the townsfolk - after all, why would a former resident want to come back, especially after living for so long in the metropolis of Chicago? Camille doesn't understand the reasons, either, but her mind is made up and she is a driven (not necessarily intrepid) reporter who has a need to find out why. And not just to please her boss, either.

The trail leads around the homes where the girls lived and there goes cold. And not every parent of a murdered child wants to see their names and their pain in print, and the mother of one girl makes this clear as she can. But when the police have no leads, and Camille's early childhood and adolescent trauma begin to flare up, there is every reason to stay and try to find out the whys and the wherefores of what happened. Camille's deceased sister enters the story and becomes an important character in her own right.

Definitely good, definitely disturbing, so if you have a tendency to immerse yourself in books and they creep into your mind, be mindful when you read this great first book by Gillian Flynn." ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
What can I say about Sharp Objects? You know that feeling you get when you're reading a book and you have to stop, put it down, and breathe for a second but it's all too much? That happened to me more than once with this novel by Gillian Flynn. I'd never read any of her books before, but I'd heard so much about the success of Gone Girl, that I wanted to see what she was all about.

Two little girls have been murdered in the small town of Wind Gap, Missouri. Camille Preaker is a reporter for a small newspaper in Chicago. Her boss finds out about the murders, and wants to get the lead scoop. Camille is from Wind Gap, so naturally he asks her to go back home and write a piece on it. Problem is, Camille hasn't been home in years, and she's not looking forward to going back. She will have to stay with her mother and to say they don't get along is an understatement. She initially refuses, but her boss, Curry, persuades her to go.

Once in town, she talks to locals, the police, and others to gain information on what is happening in the town. She sends a report back to Curry, but he wants her to dig deeper. As she does, the mystery slowly begins to reveal it's solution to Camille. Will she be able to discover who the killer is before the police? Before the murderer strikes again? Will she herself become a target?

Overall, I liked this book. It grabbed my interest right from the beginning. I wanted to know what happened and I kept picking it up to read again. My biggest problem with the book is that, in my opinion, there is a very big tell near the beginning of the book, that pretty much suggests who the killer is. That being said, there is enough crazy in this book to make up for it. At least there was for me. If you're in to mystery thrillers, I don't think you'll be disappointed by this book, but be forewarned, there are some very heavy topics throughout it. ( )
  pennylane78 | Jun 6, 2016 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,871,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible