Teerbemind by Gillian Flynn

Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:
Tags:misdaadroman, verenigde staten

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)

English (200)  Dutch (3)  All languages (203)
Five words to describe “sharp objects” dark, disturbing, twisted, raw, and awesome! There is something about this book that made me want to finish it asap. This is not a good read for people with faint hearts and emotional people. It’s a tough read, but I love every single word and sentence of this book. There were times when I feel like a psychopath while reading this book, because I found myself very entertained even though there are very brutal details about the 2 girls that were murdered. I am a fan of dark novels and psychological thrillers ever since, and maybe it helped me finish this book. Every character is very well portrayed by the author. You will feel strong emotions for each one of them, and in my case I felt such strong emotions with “Camille” the narrator and “Adora” the mom.

I don’t think I will ever look at a knife or a blade the same without thinking about the book. This book has a way of making you feel so gross at times because it is satisfying in a dark twisted way. And I had to watch a comedy after I read the book because I felt somber and gloomy. Highly recommended! Very very entertaining and just awesome! ( )
  ladyangelica | Jul 14, 2014 |
Wow. That's the best I can come up with. This is my second Flynn novel--there's one more out there and I (at the same time) want to read it right now, and want to save it, because who knows how long I'll have to wait for another!

It is very refreshing to find an author who can write different types of books--and make them as hard hitting and thrilling as the first one (first I read that is).

This is the story of a woman who goes back home to investigate a story happening in her small town--a town she couldn't get away from fast enough and that proves to be as venomous now.

So good. Go read it! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Disturbing, creeping, sad. Read this after 'Gone Girl' and would not have believed it was the same author ( )
  PIER50 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Thought I had the ending figured but totally got it wrong! ( )
  LeeFishman | Jul 1, 2014 |
TRUST NO ONE!!!

Sharp Objects hovers between a gritty, dark 3 1/2 - 4 stars for me. Flynn is great with wicked twists and plots. Definitely disturbing but in that disturbing way Gillian Flynn does all too well.
  MaryEvelynLS | Jun 25, 2014 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,550,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible