Teerbemind by Gillian Flynn

Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:
Tags:misdaadroman, verenigde staten

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (323)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (329)
Not surprised that this novel has won awards. Damaged Camille returns to her small home town as a journalist to investigate child killings. And Gillian Flynn dissects the characters with a a cool scalpel. Assured, with vivid, claustrophobic characterisation. ( )
  LARA335 | Jan 15, 2017 |
Boy, does Gillian Flynn have ISSUES.

Camille Preaker is a journalist in a small newspaper in Chicago and has just been sent back to her hometown to cover the disappearance of two small girls. She accepts, but she's not too thrilled about it because she hasn't been back for a while, she has barely been in touch with her neurotic mother and she has hardly seen her 15-year-old half sister. Also, Camille has just gone through a brief stay at a psychiatric hospital, and coming back home may not be the best thing right now.

This is the second book I read by Gillian Flynn and I must say I admire her talent. I admire her talent for depicting a dark and twisted scenery, but most of all, I admire her talent for making me like her books even when I dislike most of the characters. Every main character in this book is incredibly flawed, but also, incredibly interesting. The only "normal" one was the visiting FBI agent on whom I may have a crush, but that may have been because he strongly reminded me of my beloved Agent Cooper in the TV Show Twin Peaks [On a side note, this book reminded me A LOT of Twin Peaks. A small town where a few terrible things have happened, weird characters with dark secrets and a visiting FBI agent who falls for the blond girl who just came back to her hometown with psychiatric issues. Oh well].

Even though I guessed the end, I still think this was a very good book and I hope to be reading more from this author. Four stars! ( )
1 vote Danyspike | Jan 14, 2017 |
Let me first start of by saying that this book was one of the craziest books I have ever read. That being said, it was also one the best one I have ever read. This is a story about a woman named Camille Preaker, a journalist from a small-time Chicago newspaper. She is assigned a story in her hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri, where some little girls are missing. The thing that surprised me the most about the story is the relationship between her and her horrible mother. Sadly, it reminded me of my own relationship with my mom. This book made me reflect on my own life and my own psyche. Camille is a woman with a dark past and is very strong because of it, but she has moments of weakness which tends to cause her problems with her family and local acquaintances. This book is definitely a must read for people like me who suffer from some sort of a mental illness/disorder or someone with sound mind and body, as a way to better understand what its like to deal with those types of problems and find a way to function in the real world still. ( )
  BingeReader87 | Jan 14, 2017 |
This book was pretty dark, but it made you keep reading until you reached the end. I read it all in a 24 hour period, because I couldn't put it down for more than a couple hours at a time.
The only downfall I found with this book, was that I guess the bad guy almost from the beginning. I've read Gillian Flynn's other books and they both kept you guessing until the very end, which was what I found lacking in Sharp Objects. Sure, there was a red herring or two, but it was clear (at least to me) who committed the crime from very early on.
All in all it was a great read and I would definitely recommend it to those who enjoy mysteries. I wouldn't recommend to the faint hearted. ( )
  JocelynHess | Dec 16, 2016 |
Surprise Ending! ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,622,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible