Teerbemind by Gillian Flynn

3,7292601,401 (3.74)1 / 315
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Tags:misdaadroman, verenigde staten

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (sturlington)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (250)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (256)
Another great book from Gillian Flynn.

This story focuses on the murder of two little girls in the narrator, Camille's hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri. I loved Camille! I loved the fact she was a cutter and just utterly f**ked up.

Camille's observations of the people of Wind Gap were refreshingly brutal and honest. Focusing on the harsher, filthier side of life. She gives the reader a portrait of the seedier side, such thirteen year olds doing drugs amongst other things.

I did guess who the initial murderer was but have to admit was stunned by the final twist.

I love the fact that Gillian Flynn creates female characters that feel real. They don't conform to any generic 'female protaganist' category, and I always have mixed feelings about them.

I hope Flynn continues to write books such as this and Gone Girl. ( )
  4everfanatical | Nov 26, 2015 |
Achei tudo muito exagerado e ás vezes óbvio. Verdade que me divertiu, quase como se eu estivesse, em alguns momentos, lendo uma fantasia. É intenso, sempre que cita os porcos me arrepia com as descrições e é gostoso de ler. ( )
  MarthaNunes | Nov 2, 2015 |
Stonkingly good psychological thriller which manages to conceal its damage and its gothic undertones beneath a slick, witty narrative voice, so that what begins as a serial killer chiller turns into a portrait of family at its most malignant.

Camille Preaker is a second-rate reporter at a second-rate Chicago newspaper. After a second girl goes missing in her old hometown of Wind Gap she is sent to investigate and finds herself living with her mother, step-father and half-sister. The second girl turns up dead and Camille and a special investigator from Kansas City begin to peel back a little bit of Wind Gap's facade. Her relationship with her mother brings ugly psychological problems to the surface, many of them tied up with the death of a younger sister twenty years before. But Camille has more scars than she is willing to show, and even as she is deeply troubled by the behaviour of her young half-sister, cracks begin to appear in the surface of her own psyche and she springs more than one shock on the hapless reader before the truth begins to emerge.

A terrifically readable book, for all its shocks and disturbances. It's not terribly gruesome by the standards of this sort of thing, but for what it lacks in blood it makes up for in vomit. Don't let that put you off. After the first thirty pages or so, I couldn't put the book down. Riveting. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
Having read and enjoyed Gone Girl, I decided to pick up an earlier novel by Gillian Flynn. This was an easy and involving read, mostly because of the choice of narrator. Camille is a thirty something reporter for a Chicago paper who is sent home to cover a story about the dissapearence and possibly the second murder of a teenage girl. Since this is the small Missouri town that she fled, her editor felt it would be a good angle for her to get invovlved. But Camille left Wind Gap for a reason, it was a town that left scars. Her less that happy childhood, raised by her considerably less than maternal mother sent Camille to years of therapy and much self abuse. During the course of this return visit, Camille has to re evaluate the death of her own sister and try to understand the behavior of her younger sister Amma. This saga takes the idea of a dysfunctional family to a new level. Flynn delevers a good amount of action and readers that liked the most sinister parts of Gone Girl will not be disappointed. ( )
  novelcommentary | Sep 29, 2015 |
So because I loved Gone Girl and Dark places so much, I just had to read Sharp Objects and I am so glad I did. It was true to Gillian's MO, it was great! The ending wasn't as twisty as I thought, I had the killer figured out, but the murders didn't happen in a way I expected.
The protagonist in this book is a mentally unstable journalist (she is a cutter) and she is sent back to her home town to investigate murders of young girls. She must stay with and get to know her dysfunctional family, including her never met little sister Amma. Sadly this trip home brings up new facts and memories regarding her dead sister.
I really like Flynn's writing, she draws you in with these dysfunctional and potentially unlikable characters, but yet you keep returning because you NEED to know what happened.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 5, 2015 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,944,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible