Teerbemind by Gillian Flynn

Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:
Tags:misdaadroman, verenigde staten

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Recently added bythosliot, private library, laurasue87, Nickidemus, gabsy4127, setherfan91, sheinz19
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)

English (205)  Dutch (3)  All languages (208)
Sharp Objects is a good book, I probably would have given it five stars if I had not read Gone Girl first. It's darkly disturbing, which is a good thing. It holds the interest of the reader and there is a compelling need to finish the book. I don't understand why the author didn't explore the relationship between the protagonist and her father. The fact that she never knew her father was said early on, but then when she visits her mother's best friend and she mentions that her father came to town once I thought there would be some resolution. I was left hanging on that one. Good but not as good as her later book, but then again, every author has to start somewhere. I still highly recommend it. Her books continue in your mind for a long time! ( )
  DianneDHarman | Sep 14, 2014 |
This was my least favorite of the three books I've read by Ms. Flynn. The premise of this book is that girls are being murdered in a small town and a reporter who grew up there has to go back to get the story of the murders. I truly truly hated all the characters and especially Camille.

For the rest of the review, including a spoiler alert, go to my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/77981.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Sep 2, 2014 |
Really interesting storyline in this novel...I do enjoy how Flynn makes girls and women so multi-dimensional and evil! I couldn't guess up until close to the end who the bad guy/girl was. :) ( )
  Tina417 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Camille is a reporter in Chicago, but is sent to the town in Missouri where she grew up to cover the murders of two little girls. While there, she stays with her mother, with whom she has never had a very good relationship.

This book was more than just the murder mystery of the two little girls; it delved into the relationship between Camille and her mother, as well as her 13-year old half-sister, Amma, who has a number of her own behaviour problems. I really liked it. There were some surprises at the end, where I thought it picked up. I listened to the audio, which I thought was well-done. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 31, 2014 |
Creepy, this book is creepy... I love how Flynn leads you down one path and then jerks you over to another before throwing you onto a final path that you never saw coming. There is a real psychological element to this book as well - both with Camille and with her half-sister. Overall, for me, this wasn't as good as Gone Girl but I enjoyed it more than Dark Places. ( )
  janeycanuck | Jul 27, 2014 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,738,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible