Teerbemind by Gillian Flynn

Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:
Tags:misdaadroman, verenigde staten

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (sturlington)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (300)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (306)
Review: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

I find this a challenging book to review. I liked the story and characters but also found the book too much on the gloomy side. There were no upbeat scenes or cheery characters. Flynn taps into the psychological distress by creating a twisted and dysfunctional family, an over-the-top small morbid town, two thirteen year old girls sullen deaths, and a reporter as the main character who has no control of what really is going on and having emotional misjudgment throughout the story. I believe the theme of the book gravitates around the pleasure of hurting, being hurt, hurting oneself, and hurting others. There is also a healthy quantity of evil lurking beneath the towns social serenity and an invasion of a haunting past keeps meddling and stirring up bad habits for the main character which is a little too much. Other characters were also flawed as; an evil mother, simple-minded husband, mean high-school buddies, depressed forty year old wives, and a spoiled dysfunctional teenager. However, after all this I still liked/disliked the book….This book for some strange reason latched on to me and would not let me go….

In Wind Gap, Missouri, a small town, two young girls who went missing and later found dead, and missing their teeth. The police had no clues and local people had their own suspicions traveling through the gossip around town. As the story unfolds, a Chicago newspaper editor, Frank Curry, hears about the murders in Wind Gap and remembers he has a reporter, Camille Preaker that grew up in that small town. Camille was asked by her editor to return to her hometown of Wind Gap to cover the disappearance and murders of the two young girls. Camille accepts the assignment even though she hasn’t been home for over nine years and when you meet her family, you will know why. The longer Camille stays in Wind Gap her habits of the past with sharp objects will start a revolution of urges and show how strong her impulses were affecting her.

Camille’s mother, Adora Crellin has many problems herself but she carries on like she owns the town and the people living there. Camille’s step-father stands by doting when Adora whines and believes everything she says. He even asked Camille to leave town because she was up-setting her mother but Camille stood her ground, hesitantly. Then we have little Miss Amma, thirteen years old, Camille’s half-sister. A very smart deceiving girl who thinks she owns the high-school and everyone in it. (takes after her mother but wiser) She puts on a good show throughout the story. There are many events that will baffle the reader along with the many strange characters. As far of the mysteries of the two girls death gets investigated and solved within the shadows of the story making it secondary where as Camille behavior over-rides with psychological deficiencies exhibited in the story. All the characters seemed to be emotional and flawed. Sometimes, I liked so and so but sometimes, I hated so and so. In fact, as I read I liked the idea that I hated/loved the characters and I think that is the reason it held my interest. Most of the story was sad and gloomy, almost gothic. A strange story that left me emotional and flawed…..

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I cannot say that I enjoy Gillian Flynn's stories, but they certainly are compelling. I usually have trouble reading books with unlikeable characters, but found that I had to finish this one just like "Gone Girl". And there are some seriously unlikeable characters in "Sharp Objects" - in fact, a whole townful. In fact the whole town of Wind Gap exists in an environment of sexual violence, deceit and insanity, largely perpetrated by murderous and predatory females. At times I felt horribly uncomfortable, but the unpredictability of the plot and the fascinating characters compelled me to finish it. This is an accomplished first novel, but not for the faint-hearted. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
This was bleak, depressing, and on top of it, downright predictable. I knew who the killer was as soon as the character was introduced. Stick with Gone Girl and Dark Places. I'm glad I started with her later works, otherwise I wouldn't have read them based on Sharp Objects. ( )
  shatomica | May 26, 2016 |
Packed full of deeply disturbed characters, Sharp Objects reveals the dark undercurrents of a quaint Southern mannered town - and the protagonists childhood. Camille Preaker, cub reporter for a fourth rate Chicago newspaper, has spent her adult life unsuccessfully trying to distance herself from her sister's childhood death and the cold home she grew up in. Sent back to cover the disturbing murder of two children in her home town, it quickly becomes clear that what Camille remembers of her time in her mother's home and what actually happened there might be two entirely different things.

The term page-turner has become an overused cliche, but it's hard to think of a better word to sum up this book. A gripping story from start to finish, it felt at times as though it was compelling me to finish it even when the writing was on the wall and I didn't want to. That's not to say this book is without it's faults. The plot is a little simplistic, though engaging, and the use of Camille's point of view does manage to cast a bit of doubt on the easily guessed ending. Even having figured out early on where the story was heading, getting there was an interesting journey I would recommend to other fans of the genre. ( )
  midnightbex | May 26, 2016 |

It could be easy to dislike what Flynn has to say about women. But it's clear she's merely showing these things to us, not creating them: her women do exist. I've felt the treachery of Amma, witnessed the cruelty of Adora, been dumbfounded by the complicity of Camille in her own abuse. I've been to Angie's Pity Party, heard women define themselves & their place in society with a combination of words that left me feeling like I must have just had a stroke: I know the language, I understand the individual meaning of each word, but what I just heard is incomprehensible to me. It's jarring to be in a room full of your kind, & feel like a different species.

Forget Gone Girl. I want to see THIS movie. I want to see Camille & Adora & Amma in action.

I've read Flynn in reverse order, and what a pleasant surprise, to find that even after the masterpiece that is Gone Girl, I've enjoyed her earlier two works just as much.

In fact, Camille is the first character of hers that I've liked, that I've rooted for. Amy & Nick earned their mutual disdain. Libby Day discredits herself, causing the reader to revoke any sympathy. But Camille... Camille is a mess of pain, which would make most people uncomfortable. But it's clear Camille does what she does to alleviate her own suffering, rather than to inflict her needs on another. I like that.

None of Flynn's works are breezy reads. The darkness seeps out of every seam. But each one is worth every last word.
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,005,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible