Teerbemind by Gillian Flynn

Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:
Tags:misdaadroman, verenigde staten

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.

English (219)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (223)
Not my normal read. I read Gone Girl first and had to have another taste and see if the author could "wow" me twice. This book did just that! The twisted ending fit and I had to read who did it twice. Raw, disturbed and calculated is the bottom line. An awesome book. The characters are as screwed up as the title suggests. Crime and betrayal are just a couple words to describe this story! ( )
  Ahopkinsbibliomaniac | Jan 10, 2015 |
Troubled reporter returns to her hometown to cover the murder of two young girls and uncovers the secrets of dysfunctional family. ( )
  lovelybeans | Jan 9, 2015 |
Good book but at moments with was too long before something good happened ( )
  dom76 | Jan 7, 2015 |
As with Dark Places, another sad and barely functional protagonist moved to some kind of action by the need to come to terms with tragic events of her past. This book is more interesting and less predictable than the author's best-selling "Gone Girl," but is not as well structured or as convincing as "Dark Places," and lacks, too, the breath of hope "Dark Places" leaves with the reader. The characters are not completely persuasive despite a core of reality and the book is often just depressing -- but it is seductively interesting. ( )
  NatalieSW | Jan 1, 2015 |
This is the debut novel of Gillian Flynn, author of the best seller Gone Girl, but it reads like the work of a seasoned veteran, full of dark twists, perverted pasts and the threatening claustrophobia of an untenable situation married to the humid heat of the America small town south.

Camille Preaker is the illegitimate daughter of Adora, Wind Gap royalty, born when she was just 17, father unknown. Her position in the town protects her from a scandal that would destroy many others: instead she inherits a fortune and marries a millionaire. Daughter Camille however has a disturbed and unhappy childhood and after the death of a younger sister, starts cutting herself until she has barely an unmarked spot on her body.

Camille is working as a reporter in Chicago when her editor sends her back to Wind Gap to look into the murders of two adolescent girls: it's back to her cold mother Adora, her vague and distant stepfather Paul, and her half sister Amma, a manipulative and disturbed brat some 17 younger than she is.

Her investigation brings confronts her with her past, with perversions and secrets, with deep unhappiness and a malfunctioning community. Sharp Objects is an exciting read by an assured writer. ( )
  adpaton | Dec 31, 2014 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Current discussions

Sharp Objects in Missouri Readers

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,064,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible