Sharp Objects: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects: A Novel (edition 2007)

by Gillian Flynn

Info:Broadway (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 254 pages
Collections:Your library, Audio
Tags:Mystery, Audio

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.
    Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.

English (244)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (248)
Camille Preaker is a reporter for a small Chicago newspaper. Her boss asks her to head to her hometown to cover a story about two young girls who have been murdered. She dreads returning to the small town and the family she left behind.

The story was dark, disturbing, and gritty. It was a page turner, and it made my skin crawl. I really liked it. Is that bad?!? :)

I don't want to give anything away, so instead I will suggest that if you like a good mystery/psychological/suspense story, you could try this one. I think you'll like it.

Read Nov 2013 ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
Very easy reading - suspenseful, shocking, couldn't put it down. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn is a 2006 publication.

I have had this book in my TBR list for years, have checked it out of the library twice, only to have to send it back unread due to my review schedule. So, finally, I just pushed everything aside and checked it back out of the library and refused to pick up another book until this one was finished.

Well, after such a long wait, the build up and hype left me with an anti-climatic feeling. However, the book was still quite absorbing and all the reviews you've read warning of very dark subject matter, are true and then some.

Since twenty thousand plus people have left a review for this book on Goodreads, so I don't think you need another detailed opinion from me. But, I will say it's not for the faint of heart and one should be prepared for some very graphic depictions, super evil and demented characters, and a tightly woven story that will keep you guessing all the way to the end. So, if you enjoy truly twisted psychological thrillers and haven't read this one yet, I hope you will find a way to work it into your reading schedule. But, beware, once you finish this one you will definitely want to read something with a lighter tone in order to cleanse away the residue the story will leave in your brain.

Over all 4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jul 11, 2015 |
This book left me feeling slightly unwell. I've read a few murder mysteries whose grisliness was enough to turn the stomach, but in this case it was the sheer unsavouriness of the entire cast. Even the protagonist Camille - a journalist with a penchant for self-harming - I couldn't warm to. All the characters in the fictional Missouri town where the novel is set (I'm assuming it's fictional - no real location would stand for being portrayed like this) come across as grotesque caricatures. The whole thing made me want to take a shower. ( )
  jayne_charles | Jul 6, 2015 |
This book kept me guessing. Early on I thought I knew who the killer was but was surprised at the very end. The book is a little bit twisted, but entertaining. ( )
  boredness | Jun 9, 2015 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,497,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible