Sharp Objects: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects: A Novel (edition 2007)

by Gillian Flynn

Info:Broadway (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 254 pages
Collections:Your library, Audio
Tags:Mystery, Audio

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (sturlington)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (275)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (281)
audio

dysfunctional family relationships.....psychological thriller...debut novel...disturbing...dark...murder...(2006)

This novel left me disturbed, sad, unsettled.....
The audio was well executed and really gave one the feel of the backdrop of "horror".

I thought it was well written but am not really able to comment on the authenticity of the challenges.
I'm happy the April challenge had me read a Gillian Flynn novel but the intensity of this particular one is enough for the moment.

UNRATED
  pennsylady | Feb 11, 2016 |
Sharp Objects is, unmistakably, from Gillian Flynn. It was her first novel. If you've enjoyed either of her other two novels, I promise you that you will enjoy this one. It exemplifies her writing style which is a real, sometimes brutally honest look at people and their short comings. Her protagonists are often more of the antihero rather than the altruistic, unshakable lead characters found in other books. Her characters are real, possessing the same fundamental problems from which most humans suffer. In short, they're less than perfect, and often deeply flawed.

Sharp Objects is the simple story of a reporter sent back to the small southern town of her birth to cover the brutal murder of a young child. Not only is the crime she is investigating horrific, she is forced to relive her own childhood and the root cause of her personal demons. The story is dark, and the subject is not pleasant. But the book is so damn good I couldn't put it down.

I'm not ashamed to say it, I'm a big fan of Gillian Flynn. I enjoy reading her books. It has taken me more than a year and a half to read her three novels for no other reason than to purposely ration my reading pleasure. To give me something to look forward to. And I'm sad, very sad, when I finish any of her novels. Isn't that the true mark of whether you have enjoyed it, if your sad when you've finished? I'm doubly sad since there are currently no additional books from her on the shelves.
  baggman | Feb 11, 2016 |
Another great book from Gillian Flynn.

This story focuses on the murder of two little girls in the narrator, Camille's hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri. I loved Camille! I loved the fact she was a cutter and just utterly f**ked up.

Camille's observations of the people of Wind Gap were refreshingly brutal and honest. Focusing on the harsher, filthier side of life. She gives the reader a portrait of the seedier side, such thirteen year olds doing drugs amongst other things.

I did guess who the initial murderer was but have to admit was stunned by the final twist.

I love the fact that Gillian Flynn creates female characters that feel real. They don't conform to any generic 'female protaganist' category, and I always have mixed feelings about them.

I hope Flynn continues to write books such as this and Gone Girl. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
I didn't care for this book. Too much weird cutting and killing. Not a satisfying ending.
  morsch | Feb 4, 2016 |
This was as engaging as any of her other novels, but it wasn't my favorite. The characters were almostly comically sinister to the point that they weren't believable. The twist ending in this also wasn't much of a surprise. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,253,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible