Sharp Objects: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects: A Novel (edition 2007)

by Gillian Flynn

Info:Broadway (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 254 pages
Collections:Your library, Audio
Tags:Mystery, Audio

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

2007 (12) 2012 (12) 2013 (33) American (12) audio (14) audiobook (13) crime (46) crime fiction (15) cutting (66) dysfunctional family (26) ebook (26) family (17) fiction (280) horror (20) Kindle (20) library (13) Missouri (66) murder (56) mystery (199) novel (20) psychological thriller (14) read (45) read in 2013 (18) self-mutilation (12) serial killer (28) suspense (53) thriller (106) to-read (89) unread (17) wishlist (12)
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (190)  Dutch (2)  All languages (192)
This is Gillian Flynn's first novel, and my second favorite (out of a total of three). This one was a thrilling read, and creepy as hell for its psychological accuracy. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could. ( )
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
An interesting tale with a protagonist readers will be conflicted to like or hate. ( )
  KWellnotGood | Apr 14, 2014 |
Well, I was convinced that I had the book figured out from about 30 pages in. In the last 20 pages, I felt silly for thinking I was so smart. A sharp book with breezy but beautiful language, compelling characters, and a great twist. ( )
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
This book is a total page turner and very well written. I would read anything by Gillian Flynn, she's that good. I love her cunning, sick and evil characters, how she works them in to everyday situations with everyday people and how the manipulations are so sly. Great stuff from a very talented writer. ( )
  erinclark | Apr 8, 2014 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible