Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects (edition 2007)

by Gillian Flynn

4,3513171,134 (3.74)1 / 327
Title:Sharp Objects
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:W&N (2007), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:2013, ebook

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (311)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (317)
Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects is a dark and disturbing novel that’s filled with creepy, mentally ill characters and fantastic psychological suspense. Gone Girl may have earned the popularity vote and a movie deal, but I think Sharp Objects is more suspenseful and better written.

This character-driven story is told in the point of view of Camille Preaker, a Chicago reporter who returns to her hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri to cover the disappearances and murders of two preteen girls. Camille is reluctant to take the assignment since she’ll have to face her troubled past, a past that caused her so much emotional pain that she turned to cutting. Her mother is a “neurotic hypochondriac” and she has an equally unhinged, half-sister, Amma. The town is populated with gossipy, shallow residents, many who were Camille’s former classmates that love to blather about Camille’s promiscuity, binge drinking and send her murder investigation into a hundred different directions. The more she unravels the truth about the murders, the more mentally unraveled Camille becomes, but she won’t leave town until the murder is caught.

The characters are brilliantly developed and complex with richly descriptive personalities, especially their mental states. I love novels like Sharp Objects that have haunting, mentally disturbed characters as it’s my favorite type of novel. The characters’ behaviors are spine-chilling and they hold your mind hostage until you finish the story. Camille is a beautiful, intelligent woman, but she’s the type of character that you pity. I wanted to save her, not only from her family, but from herself. Her mother and half-sister are the type of characters that you love to hate because they’re fascinating and twisted.

This page-turner had me so engrossed in the storytelling that I wanted to read it in one sitting. It’s engaging and suspenseful throughout. I had a hunch about the ending that I dismissed because the misdirects in the plot were so convincing. My suspicions were correct, but it didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the novel. The ending still had a shocking, unpredictable quality.

I recommend this novel to readers who love psychological thrillers.

Jenny's Book Bag Sharp Objects review. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I tend to be somewhat leery of reading an established author's debut novel; mainly I worry, will it pale in comparison to a newer book that's received lots of hype and hooplah? Well I'm happy to report that I enjoyed Sharp Objects more than Gone Girl. Surprise, surprise.

Like with Gone Girl, I absolutely hated having to set the book aside before I was finished. Thankfully, I only had to stop reading once, so I was done in two sittings. But unlike with Nick and Amy, I was 100% on Camille's side right from the start...until she went into full victim mode, shut off her brain, and started swallowing the Kool-Aid; or, in this case, dropping Oxy and Ecstasy with a thirteen year old. After that I was a little distant, but I still enjoyed the twist (predictable), the climax (meh), the second twist (also predictable), and the ending (satisfying).

Recommended to anyone looking for a fast-paced thriller especially if they're new to the genre. Be warned, though, there are graphic descriptions of self-harming behavior, underage sexuality, factory farming (pigs), and brutality involving children.

3.5 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Sep 13, 2016 |
Seemed to be evolving until halfway through than it sped up to the end. The entire thing was unremarkable and predictable. If I had read this before Gone Girl I might have never read it. ( )
  pgtrnr | Aug 18, 2016 |
  pgtrnr | Aug 18, 2016 |
Oh my God, this book is just so sick. Every single thing about it is disturbing: fucked-up adults, fucked-up children, fucked-up sex, fucked-up small-town setting. As I finished each chapter I would think to myself, "Things can't possibly get any worse." Oh, but they can. Gillian Flynn shows you they totally can. ( )
  doryfish | Aug 15, 2016 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,701,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible