Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects (edition 2007)

by Gillian Flynn

Info:W&N (2007), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, ebook

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.
    Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.

English (238)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (242)
All that I will say is that I read it, and I wonder why I read it? I should have listened to my inner voice from the beginning which told me that I would hate the book. In my opinion it's depraved and vicious. Not my genre at all - so that is why I don't think that I can't review it objectively. ( )
  Romonko | May 14, 2015 |
Who can resist reading a Gillian Flynn after her runaway success with Gone Girl? Not me! I listened to it on audio and enjoyed it. I don't understand why someone would "cut", but it was an interesting element. The damage parents do... Lots of different stories running through made for a interesting read. Glad I picked it up. Won't be long before it is a movie too. ( )
  sharlene_w | May 7, 2015 |
I read it in one sitting. Not necessarily because it was so enthralling, but because it was an easy read. Almost all of the characters in this story were sick in some way. (Little girls can be bitches.) And the "twist" did make me cringe. Good read, but not if you are expecting something mind blowing. ( )
  katherineemilysmith | May 4, 2015 |
I picked this off the shelf because I needed something mindless and absorbing to read in between some other long, dense books I've been reading. In that sense, it fit the bill. Unfortunately, I didn't think it was very good in any other sense.

Gillian Flynn is, of course, the author of the much-read and talked about novel [Gone Girl]. Though I didn't think Gone Girl was a great book, I enjoyed the shifting points of view and plot twists. [Sharp Objects], Flynn's debut thriller, doesn't measure up to her later work. In Sharp Objects, Camille, a reporter living in Chicago, returns to her tiny hometown in Missouri to report on a second child murder that is still flying under the radar nationally. We quickly realize that Camille is very damaged - cutting herself and drinking excessively - and that this damage extends from her relationship with her mother.

To me, this book didn't work because the killer was extremely obvious from early on in the book, but I don't think was meant to be. Also, I don't really like reading about people who so excessively abuse their bodies. It fit the story, so it might not bother everyone, but I didn't like it.

Even though it's a short, fast read, I'd skip this one. ( )
  japaul22 | May 4, 2015 |
Gillian Flynn has a sick mind but I like it! I actually liked this one better than Gone Girl. Page turner for Suarez! ( )
  lindseyrivers | Apr 27, 2015 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,257,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible