Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects (edition 2007)

by Gillian Flynn

Info:W&N (2007), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, ebook

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (sturlington)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (298)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (304)
This was bleak, depressing, and on top of it, downright predictable. I knew who the killer was as soon as the character was introduced. Stick with Gone Girl and Dark Places. I'm glad I started with her later works, otherwise I wouldn't have read them based on Sharp Objects. ( )
  shatomica | May 26, 2016 |
Packed full of deeply disturbed characters, Sharp Objects reveals the dark undercurrents of a quaint Southern mannered town - and the protagonists childhood. Camille Preaker, cub reporter for a fourth rate Chicago newspaper, has spent her adult life unsuccessfully trying to distance herself from her sister's childhood death and the cold home she grew up in. Sent back to cover the disturbing murder of two children in her home town, it quickly becomes clear that what Camille remembers of her time in her mother's home and what actually happened there might be two entirely different things.

The term page-turner has become an overused cliche, but it's hard to think of a better word to sum up this book. A gripping story from start to finish, it felt at times as though it was compelling me to finish it even when the writing was on the wall and I didn't want to. That's not to say this book is without it's faults. The plot is a little simplistic, though engaging, and the use of Camille's point of view does manage to cast a bit of doubt on the easily guessed ending. Even having figured out early on where the story was heading, getting there was an interesting journey I would recommend to other fans of the genre. ( )
  midnightbex | May 26, 2016 |

It could be easy to dislike what Flynn has to say about women. But it's clear she's merely showing these things to us, not creating them: her women do exist. I've felt the treachery of Amma, witnessed the cruelty of Adora, been dumbfounded by the complicity of Camille in her own abuse. I've been to Angie's Pity Party, heard women define themselves & their place in society with a combination of words that left me feeling like I must have just had a stroke: I know the language, I understand the individual meaning of each word, but what I just heard is incomprehensible to me. It's jarring to be in a room full of your kind, & feel like a different species.

Forget Gone Girl. I want to see THIS movie. I want to see Camille & Adora & Amma in action.

I've read Flynn in reverse order, and what a pleasant surprise, to find that even after the masterpiece that is Gone Girl, I've enjoyed her earlier two works just as much.

In fact, Camille is the first character of hers that I've liked, that I've rooted for. Amy & Nick earned their mutual disdain. Libby Day discredits herself, causing the reader to revoke any sympathy. But Camille... Camille is a mess of pain, which would make most people uncomfortable. But it's clear Camille does what she does to alleviate her own suffering, rather than to inflict her needs on another. I like that.

None of Flynn's works are breezy reads. The darkness seeps out of every seam. But each one is worth every last word.
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
I liked this book. Someone recommended it to me, and I had enjoyed Flynn's Gone Girl (movie), so I thought I'd give this a try.

There are some uncomfortable parts in the book when she talks about cutting, but other than that, it's a solid creepy murder mystery. ( )
  meowism | May 17, 2016 |
Well that was a bit predictable and boring. Just hope that Dark Places and Gone Girl are better. ( )
  GwenMcGinty | May 13, 2016 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,878,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible