Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects (edition 2007)

by Gillian Flynn

3,7242591,403 (3.74)1 / 315
Title:Sharp Objects
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:W&N (2007), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:2013, ebook

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (sturlington)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (254)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  All languages (259)
Like everyone else has said, I found this book very disturbing. Perhaps a little too disturbing to say I actually enjoyed it but I still read it in 1 or 2 days and couldn't put it down. Perhaps it's like a car crash at which you can't stop staring. ( )
  beckyface | Nov 22, 2015 |
Achei tudo muito exagerado e ás vezes óbvio. Verdade que me divertiu, quase como se eu estivesse, em alguns momentos, lendo uma fantasia. É intenso, sempre que cita os porcos me arrepia com as descrições e é gostoso de ler. ( )
  MarthaNunes | Nov 2, 2015 |
Stonkingly good psychological thriller which manages to conceal its damage and its gothic undertones beneath a slick, witty narrative voice, so that what begins as a serial killer chiller turns into a portrait of family at its most malignant.

Camille Preaker is a second-rate reporter at a second-rate Chicago newspaper. After a second girl goes missing in her old hometown of Wind Gap she is sent to investigate and finds herself living with her mother, step-father and half-sister. The second girl turns up dead and Camille and a special investigator from Kansas City begin to peel back a little bit of Wind Gap's facade. Her relationship with her mother brings ugly psychological problems to the surface, many of them tied up with the death of a younger sister twenty years before. But Camille has more scars than she is willing to show, and even as she is deeply troubled by the behaviour of her young half-sister, cracks begin to appear in the surface of her own psyche and she springs more than one shock on the hapless reader before the truth begins to emerge.

A terrifically readable book, for all its shocks and disturbances. It's not terribly gruesome by the standards of this sort of thing, but for what it lacks in blood it makes up for in vomit. Don't let that put you off. After the first thirty pages or so, I couldn't put the book down. Riveting. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,875,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible