Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects (edition 2007)

by Gillian Flynn

Info:W&N (2007), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, ebook

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (sturlington)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (292)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (298)
Camille Preaker is haunted by childhood memories of a cold mother and the devastating loss of her sister, Marian, who died when Camille was only 13. Having escaped from the clutches of a cloying family environment, Camille is being sent back home, this time as a reporter for a newspaper to cover the gruesome murders of two local girls. The more involved she becomes in the mystery, the more she uncovers about her town, her family, and herself. The discoveries are anything but pleasant.

This book will stay with you long you have read it. ( )
  Hanneri | Apr 28, 2016 |
Sharp Objects is by far my favorite Gillian Flynn book. I felt that both Dark Places and Gone Girl were not as surprising as Sharp Objects. This book is in the same genre, following the murders of young girls in a small town in Missouri. The ending was definitely not what I was expecting. For those who like to keep guessing throughout a book, I highly recommend this title. ( )
  kelseymorgan88 | Apr 22, 2016 |
I was really hoping that this would be as good as Gone Girl. It wasn't/ However, I do like Flynn's writing style. She is dark! ( )
  kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |
An enthralling first novel that grabs you right from the start and doesn’t let go until the final page. You can feel the heat and humidity of Wind Gap, which reflects the claustrophobic atmosphere, as Camille Preaker returns to her home town from Chicago to investigate the murders of two young girls for her newspaper. During her time there she uncovers fresh information and understanding of her own childhood and that of her sister as she tries to unravel these crimes. At the same time, her own health is threatened by her new knowledge and you fear for her ability to cope with all the combined pressures from her family, police and editor.
  camharlow2 | Apr 12, 2016 |
I love all of Gillian Flynn's books but I think this one was my favorite.
  Blondie539 | Apr 7, 2016 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible