Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects (edition 2007)

by Gillian Flynn

Info:W&N (2007), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, ebook

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

2007 (12) 2012 (12) 2013 (33) American (12) audio (14) audiobook (13) crime (46) crime fiction (15) cutting (66) dysfunctional family (26) ebook (26) family (17) fiction (280) horror (20) Kindle (20) library (13) Missouri (66) murder (56) mystery (199) novel (20) psychological thriller (14) read (45) read in 2013 (18) self-mutilation (12) serial killer (28) suspense (53) thriller (106) to-read (89) unread (17) wishlist (12)
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (186)  Dutch (2)  All languages (188)
This book is a total page turner and very well written. I would read anything by Gillian Flynn, she's that good. I love her cunning, sick and evil characters, how she works them in to everyday situations with everyday people and how the manipulations are so sly. Great stuff from a very talented writer. ( )
  erinclark | Apr 8, 2014 |
Sharp objects cut, hurt and wound. Gillian Flynn’s novel, Sharp Objects, is no exception. It’s filled with dark, disturbing images, cruel memories, and layers of pain. It invites the reader into the mind of a young woman trying to rebuild her life, and in so doing, it slowly reveals how her life was broken. All this is done with stark, convincing prose, as newspaper reporter Camille Preaker returns to her home town, assigned to produce a few simple pieces about the family of a missing girl.

Of course, going home is never simple, especially when that home drove you to need psychiatric help. And revisiting the scene of her misery doesn’t offer the sort of healing Camille will need. Caught between the call of adult sanity and teen surrender, struggling against the lure of drugs, sex and alcohol, longing for the acceptance and love she’s missed, and desperate to help her sister escape the cycle of destruction, Camille walks a path filled of clever deduction, hopeless quests, and wounded memories. Meanwhile the author offers classically powerful descriptions of people and place, shadowed by what’s guessed, implied, kept hidden and eventually revealed.

Sharp Objects is a sharply observed tale of modern-day evil, told with a reporter’s strengths, a wounded woman’s weaknesses, and a heart for hope. It’s not an easy read. It’s graphic and its words cut and wound. But it’s beautifully told, and ultimately offers the promise that healing might be real.

Disclosure: I wanted to read something by Gillian Flynn and this was the book I chose to get for my birthday ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Apr 4, 2014 |
This author is amazing. Both this and her other book Dark Places made me feel as if I were the character, this is bad in a way because her characters are very dark. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
The town of Wind Gap is definitely not Mayberry. It seems to be filled with dysfunctional families, particularly ones with idle wives who rely too much on alcohol and drugs, and there is a big line between the haves and have-nots. Plus, about once a generation, the town seems to spawn a gang of rich, promiscuous, angry middle-school girls. Now two children have been murdered and Camille Preaker returns to her hometown of Wind Gap to report on the murders and perhaps unpack some of the considerable emotional baggage she is carrying.

This is a well-plotted, well-told, dark mystery with memorable characters. Flynn lays bare even her protagonist's darkest corners to produce a deep psychological story as well. This was a quick read for me because I kept having to read "just one more chapter" to see what happened next. ( )
  glade1 | Mar 10, 2014 |
Wonderfully weird. ( )
  Marssie | Mar 2, 2014 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,417,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible