The Winters in Bloom: A Novel by Lisa Tucker

The Winters in Bloom: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Lisa Tucker

Member:pdebolt
Title:The Winters in Bloom: A Novel
Authors:Lisa Tucker
Info:Atria Books (2011), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, BookPage recommendation

The Winters in Bloom by Lisa Tucker

Not my favorite Lisa Tucker book. Too many disfunctional characters....long drawn out with a quick conclusion. ( )
  emkemi23 | Aug 23, 2013 |
When I picked up The Winters in Bloom by Lisa Tucker I was definitely in the mood for some family drama reading. I got chills with the opening section and felt immediately connected to this small, 5-year old child named Michael. Then, he was whisked away and the story began to unfold.

The Winters in Bloom is a novel that explores not only the disappearance of Michael, but the past histories of his parents. Both are overly cautious for reasons of their own. For David Winter, it was tragedy of one kind, and for Kyra, tragedy of another. And both their pasts intersect in a twisting, winding turn of events that had me guessing until the end of the book.

While I enjoyed very much the "unputdownable" nature of The Winters in Bloom, I do have a bone to pick with it, however. The introduction of the book gave me this awesome, fantastic character in Michael and, aside from a few moments here and there throughout the story, there really wasn't much more time spent with him. As a result, what time there was spent with him seemed a bit gimmicky - like he was fairly one-dimensional and, as a result, the end of the book came off as a bit fake. I wanted to feel a powerful emotion of some sort when I got to the ending pages, but instead, I found myself speeding up my reading just because I wanted to finish and had lost that momentum of caring about Michael after the big reveal of who did it happened.

With that said, the rest of the book leading up to the reveal? Kept me guessing and was highly entertaining. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | May 17, 2013 |
I loved this book. I have enjoyed all of [a:Lisa Tucker|8025|Lisa Tucker|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1304452283p2/8025.jpg]'s books, although [b:The Promised World: A Novel|6407756|The Promised World A Novel|Lisa Tucker|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1256099022s/6407756.jpg|6596667] has been my least favorite. I love the references to Philadelphia and the surrounding areas. At first I thought it was someone else who took Michael before I figured out who it was. It was a quick read but very enjoyable. ( )
  JenniferLynn | May 13, 2013 |
When I started reading my e-galley of The Winters in Bloom, I noticed first the page at the beginning where the publisher was talking about how much she loved this book and how it was the best one of the year. Her praise was so high that I kind of rolled my eyes, thinking that she loves it because it will make her money. I am happy to report that the book really was that good. From the absolutely incredible first chapter, I was totally involved in the story.

My one previous experience with Lisa Tucker proved disappointing (The Song Reader), perhaps because my expectations were really high. I own a couple of her other books, but haven't gotten to them yet. I am now super glad that I have them.

So yeah, I mentioned how mindblowing the first chapter was. The book opens from Michael's point of view (although in third person) and you can see how much he has been affected by his parent's worries. Young as he is, he has already inherited their fear of everything, as evidenced in the first line: "He was the only child in a house full of doubt." Five years old and he looks around thinking about the many ways he could get injured. This is what he was doing in his time in the backyard by himself when the nice lady came and asked him if he wanted to go on a ride. Wow. Just wow.

While the rest of the story was not as dramatic and intense as this one, the story definitely maintained its beautiful simplicity. I loved finding out what had happened to the various characters to make them into who they now were. There are a lot of hints as you go along, allowing you to make your own suppositions (I was right about David/Courtney, but wrong about Kyra).

If you like stories of family drama and broken people, this is one that is not to be missed. What a completely beautiful, depressing, uplifting story! ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
This book had me wrapped up in the characters from the very beginning. When David and Kyra's son, Michael disappears, both contemplate who from their past could have done this to them. They have taken every precaution to keep their little boy safe, only to have him taken in the blink of an eye.

Kyra has been struggling with her problems since her mother walked out on the family when she was a young girl. Kyra became closer to her sister Amy, but somehow failed to realize that the day her mother left, is the day that a piece of Amy died also. They went through the regular motions of high school and boyfriends, until Amy veered off-track when they left for college. Amy made all the wrong choices, from drugs, alcohol, and men, until she decides to desert her sister in search of something that will help her feel whole.

David seemed to have a good childhood, although he was always a bit on the emotional side. He found himself attracted to girls that seemed wounded and frail. This led him to his first marriage that ended in a disaster that left him shattered and uncertain of trusting anyone in his life again.

When young Michael disappears David and Kyra both realize that they must confront their pasts to get the answers they need. Tucker did a wonderful job of bringing these character's pasts to life for us and revealing the situation in a way that made me crave for this book when I wasn't able to read it. With themes of love, resentment, and forgiveness, I feel that this would be great to read for leisure or as a book club discussion. I highly recommend this novel. ( )
  jo-jo | Jun 27, 2012 |
We Shall not cease from exploration And the end of all our exploring Will be to arrive where we started And know the place for the first time. ------ T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding" Four Quartets.
This book is for Judith and Greer, who convinced me I could write it, anr Laurie and Miles, who taught me that the story never ends.
He was the only child in a house full of doubt.

"Together for over a decade, Kyra and David Winter are happier than they ever thought they could be. They have a comfortable home, stable careers, and a young son, Michael, whom they love more than anything. Yet because of their complicated histories, Kyra and David have always feared that this domestic bliss couldn't last - that the life they created was destined to be disrupted. And on one perfectly average summer day, it is: Michael disappears from his own backyard. The only question is whose past has finally caught up with them: David feels sure that Michael was taken by his troubled ex-wife, while Kyra believes the kidnapper must be someone from her estranged family, someone she betrayed years ago"--Publisher's description.… (more)

94 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,366,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible