A Dublin Student Doctor: An Irish Country…

A Dublin Student Doctor: An Irish Country Novel (edition 2012)

by Patrick Taylor

Member:ke62
Title:A Dublin Student Doctor: An Irish Country Novel
Authors:Patrick Taylor
Info:Forge Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Dublin, Ireland, Medical students, 1930s, Audiobook

A Dublin Student Doctor by Patrick Taylor

An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (Sile)
    Sile: Same "Irish Country" series.

My favorite in the series so far!! ( )
  SkiKatt68 | Feb 26, 2016 |
The sixth in the Irish Country Doctor series, A Dublin Student Doctor by Patrick Taylor goes back to the 1930’s and tells of Doctor Fingal Flahertie O’Reilly studies to become a fully fledged doctor. Full of stories about his and his fellow students trials and tribulations as they endure the long hours of both the study and practise of medicine. The setting of Dublin during the 1930’s adds a lot to the narrative.

In this prequel we learn how Fingal and Kitty met and grew close during his student years, and I appreciated this insight into characters that I have been following now for a number of books. Another aspect of the book that I found interesting was the description of medical treatments that were used at that time.

I enjoy this series, but would label it as a lighter read and one that doesn’t overly engage the brain. In A Dublin Student Doctor, the author has delivered another book that mixes personal anecdotes with medical stories to deliver a entertaining and interesting addition to his Irish Country Doctor series. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 30, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
I loved listening to this book. ( )
  csobolak | May 19, 2014 |
I thought that this may be one of, if not the, best books in the Irish series. This is the story of how Finegal develops into the person, or at least doctor, he is. Very good story with great character development. I don't know that I'd recommend reading this as a stand alone book as it is so tightly wound into the story line that preceded it... but it was great. Downright emotional in places. ( )
  plunkinberry | Nov 15, 2013 |

Patrick Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keating, JohnNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Dorothy
Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly, Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly, edged the long-bonnetted Rover out of the car park.

Patrick Taylor's devoted readers know Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly as a pugnacious general practitioner in the quaint Irish village of Ballybucklebo. Now Taylor turns back the clock to give us a portrait of the young Fingal - and show us the pivotal events that shaped the man he would become.
In the 1930s, fresh from a stint in the Royal Navy Reserve, and against the wishes of his disapproving father, Fingal O'Reilly goes to Dublin to study medicine. Fingal and his fellow aspiring doctos face the arduous demands of Trinity College and Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital. The hours are long and the cases challenging, but Fingal manages to find time to box and play rugby - and to romance a fetching, gray-eyed nurse named Kitty O'Hallorhan.
Dublin is city of slums and tenements, where brutal poverty breed diseases that the limited medical knowledge of the time is often ill-equipped to handle. His teachers warn Fingal not to become too attached to his patients, but can he truly harden himself to the suffering he sees all around him - or can he find a way to care for his patients without breaking his heart?
A Dublin Student Doctor is a moving, deeply human story that will touch longtime fans as well as readers who are meeting Doctor Fingal O'Reilly for the very first time.

In the 1930s, fresh from a stint in the Royal Navy Reserve, and against the wishes of his disapproving father, Fingal O'Reilly goes to Dublin to study medicine. Fingal and his fellow aspiring doctors face the arduous demands of Trinity College and Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital. The hours are long and the cases challenging, but Fingal manages to find time to box and play rugby and to romance a fetching, gray-eyed nurse named Kitty O'Hallorhan.… (more)

41 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,632,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible