A Dublin Student Doctor: An Irish Country…

A Dublin Student Doctor: An Irish Country Novel (edition 2012)

by Patrick Taylor

Member:ke62
Title:A Dublin Student Doctor: An Irish Country Novel
Authors:Patrick Taylor
Info:Forge Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Dublin, Ireland, Medical students, 1930s, Audiobook

A Dublin Student Doctor by Patrick Taylor

An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (Sile)
    Sile: Same "Irish Country" series.

I loved listening to this book. ( )
  csobolak | May 19, 2014 |
I thought that this may be one of, if not the, best books in the Irish series. This is the story of how Finegal develops into the person, or at least doctor, he is. Very good story with great character development. I don't know that I'd recommend reading this as a stand alone book as it is so tightly wound into the story line that preceded it... but it was great. Downright emotional in places. ( )
  plunkinberry | Nov 15, 2013 |
At 15 hours of audio, this was about 5 hours too long. Taylor's books have each gotten more verbose, less well edited as the series goes on.

As a doctor writing about doctors, he seems to think we're all really interested in all the nitty gritty of medical diagnoses and treatments. While we may be interested, we don't need a graduate level course. This story--actually a kind of prequel to the series-- takes us back not only to the beginning of Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly's illustrious career in medicine but also the inception of his romance with nurse Kitty O'Hallorhan.  It was delightful backfill for those of us who'd read all the others, but it dragged.  Oh my did it drag.

The whole book, which is 496 pages in hardback, covers his medical studies in excruciating detail.  Not much more to say. There are some lovely scenes with his Ma, and some scenes with Kitty where you want to crack him upside the head and tell him to get on with it, but that's about it.  If you're a fan of the series and have nothing better to do and are dying to get the backfill, go for it.  If you love the series, but have something else you want to read and can accept on faith that Fingal graduated from medical school and fell in love with Kitty, then on with your life, you won't miss this one. ( )
  tututhefirst | Sep 25, 2012 |
Unique author endows an Irish heartwarming story of medicine, love and achievement.

A Dublin Student Doctor audiobook is quite unique and I fell in love with this CD set from the start. I found the Irish accents of Patrick Taylor quite extraordinary, even more so as he did the voice-overs for some of the other characters. It did not take me long to settle into the different voices and completely forget Taylor played more than just Doctor Fingal Flahertie O’Reilly. Having a medical background myself, I believe this audiobook would be much appreciated by those with any sort of medical background. At times, O'Reilly and his colleagues do their rounds throughout Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital and speak about their patients diagnosis or are in the process of a diagnosis. In this narrative you follow along through the life of Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly as he struggles through medical school with his group of colleagues at Trinity College and their internship at Sir Patrick Dun’s Hospital in Ireland. Doctor O'Reilly's home life has some turmoil of it's own as O'Reilly has a fallout with his father, who at first does not support his medical interests unless it is in the research field. However with the support of his only sibling, a brother and his mother, O'Reilly pushes on through school and even finds himself falling in love. This story is so realistic I found myself completely immersed in O'Reilly's life, especially in the romance going on between O'Reilly and Kitty, a nurse working at Sir Patrick Dun’s Hospital. The author Taylor did an excellent job in keeping the story practical and A Dublin Student Doctor was very funny at times. I laughed throughout many parts of this story, especially when Taylor makes a reference of O'Reilly catching a glimpse of the calf of a girl or the mischief and witty pranks that go on between O'Reilly and the other interns. This audiobook would make a great gift for anyone who loves to listen to the Irish dialect or loves anything medical, a treat to the intellect and senses from an intellectually gifted author one may rarely come across in a lifetime. ( )
  autumnblues | Nov 21, 2011 |

Patrick Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keating, JohnNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Dorothy
Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly, Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly, edged the long-bonnetted Rover out of the car park.

Patrick Taylor's devoted readers know Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly as a pugnacious general practitioner in the quaint Irish village of Ballybucklebo. Now Taylor turns back the clock to give us a portrait of the young Fingal - and show us the pivotal events that shaped the man he would become.
In the 1930s, fresh from a stint in the Royal Navy Reserve, and against the wishes of his disapproving father, Fingal O'Reilly goes to Dublin to study medicine. Fingal and his fellow aspiring doctos face the arduous demands of Trinity College and Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital. The hours are long and the cases challenging, but Fingal manages to find time to box and play rugby - and to romance a fetching, gray-eyed nurse named Kitty O'Hallorhan.
Dublin is city of slums and tenements, where brutal poverty breed diseases that the limited medical knowledge of the time is often ill-equipped to handle. His teachers warn Fingal not to become too attached to his patients, but can he truly harden himself to the suffering he sees all around him - or can he find a way to care for his patients without breaking his heart?
A Dublin Student Doctor is a moving, deeply human story that will touch longtime fans as well as readers who are meeting Doctor Fingal O'Reilly for the very first time.

In the 1930s, fresh from a stint in the Royal Navy Reserve, and against the wishes of his disapproving father, Fingal O'Reilly goes to Dublin to study medicine. Fingal and his fellow aspiring doctors face the arduous demands of Trinity College and Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital. The hours are long and the cases challenging, but Fingal manages to find time to box and play rugby and to romance a fetching, gray-eyed nurse named Kitty O'Hallorhan.… (more)

102 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,938,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible