Catnap: A Midnight Louie Mystery by Carole…

Catnap: A Midnight Louie Mystery (original 1992; edition 1993)

by Carole Nelson Douglas

Member:mclay2007
Title:Catnap: A Midnight Louie Mystery
Authors:Carole Nelson Douglas
Info:Forge Books (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:HM, Mystery, Animal, Cat

Catnap by Carole Nelson Douglas (1992)

What a fun cat detective murder mystery! I've not read the Braun "Cat Who..." series, so I can't compare it to the Midnight Louie series (this being the first book of the mystery series, though Louie was a character in some romances before this). Louie is a 18 pound black-as-night cat who leaves his former Las Vegas hotel residence due to the arrival of a new baby. He stumbles upon a dead man in the convention center where the American Booksellers Association is having their convention.

Not wanting to be accused of the murder himself, he leads the PR person for the center, Temple, on a chase which ends with her on top of the body. Temple then can't help but do some sleuthing of her own to try to figure this all out. In the mean time, she's also preoccupied by the disappearance of Baker and Taylor, two Scottish fold cats that are the mascots of the book jobber of the same name. We follow Temple and occasionally hear from Louie about his predicament of how to tie everything up so Temple doesn't get in trouble.

Even though it was written around 20 years ago, the ABA convention seemed not much different than current ALA (Am. Library Assoc) ones I've been to recently, so I enjoyed that connection in the atmosphere. I had an inkling about the murder, but didn't figure it out - always good in a murder mystery.

Overall, it was quite the enjoyable read and I'm waiting for the second book in the series to arrive at my Public Library for me to borrow. Hopefully, the mysteries will continue to intrigue and Louie will continue to charm me. ( )
1 vote horomnizon | Aug 4, 2011 |
‘Midnight Louie’ is an 18 lb black tom cat who lives in Las Vegas. While roaming the American Booksellers Association convention, he discovers a hidden corpse, and leads PR woman Temple Barr to it. Soon they both find themselves trying to solve the murder mystery-and a possibly associated catnapping- in their own ways. Both end up with attempts made on their lives before the murder is solved.

The story is told in alternate sections: Temple in the third person and Louie in the first. Louie sounds like Sam Spade, going on about dolls and his own prowess- mental, physical and sexual. Temple’s sections are interesting, although they dwell on her shoes an awful lot.

The book is the first of a series, and truly reads like a first novel. I was surprised to find that Douglas was an established author of other types of books. ‘Catnap’ could have used some editing- although given that the murder victim in the story is an editor, that might have been rather daunting! I assume the author settled into the characters in later books and things became smoother and more mature, and so I will give another book in the series a try. ( )
  dark_phoenix54 | May 27, 2011 |
Midnight Louie is an enormous 20 pound black cat who roams free in Las Vegas. He has lately been mostly living in the hotel and casino, the Crystal Phoenix, but looking for more action, he moves to the Convention Center, and after being found next to a dead body, finds himself as a material witness in a murder investigation in the middle of the ABA (American Booksellers Association) Convention. Templeton Barr, a public relations specialist at the Convention, ends up taking him home with her and thus begins an partnership that has extended into 20 some mystery titles.

In this mystery, most of the chapters are from the point-of-view of public relations director Templeton Barr, with a few short chapters that are from Midnight Louie's humorous voice. I liked both Temple and Louie, so I imagine that I'll move on the next in the series. The mystery itself was average with some pacing problems, but the description of some of the ABA and publishing politics was interesting. The side mystery of the missing Baker and Taylor cats was almost more interesting to me than the murder investigation. Finally, the Las Vegas setting was very well described, from the glitzy Strip, to the non-descript suburbs, to the unrelenting heat. This was a fun cozy for cat lovers and I suspect that the plot elements will improve in future books in the series. ( )
  chinquapin | May 2, 2011 |
Temple Barr, a p.r. lady, winds up in the middle of many murders throughout this series, primarily set in Las Vegas, Nevada. Her large, street-savvy tom, Midnight Louie, as usual saves the day. In this series the animals talk to each other but not to the people. This particular story is set partially at the American Booksellers' Association convention, with employees of Baker & Taylor being kidnapped.
  keefejane | Jul 6, 2008 |
For the real and original Midnight Louie: nine lives weren't enough
Prologue: I have a nose for news and pause at nothing.

Meet Public relations expert Temple Barr, a petite redhead with a high heel shoe fetish; and the irrepressible Midnight Louie. When these two kneel nose to nose over a dead body at the American Booksellers Association convention in Las Vegas, the fur flies and the fun starts.
----------------

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812516826, Mass Market Paperback)

Catnap is the first book in Carole Nelson Douglas's delightful Midnight Louie mystery series where we meet that fabulous 20-lb black cat-about-town and his sometimes roomate/owner cutie Temple Barr. Together they solve crimes and find love in sinful Las Vegas.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:30 -0400)

When a dead body turns up at the American Booksellers Association meeting and the Baker & Taylor mascots are catnapped, public relations expert Temple Barr and her cat, Midnight Louie, decide to investigate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible