Glow (Sky Chasers) by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Glow (Sky Chasers) (edition 2011)

by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Part of the first generation to be conceived in deep space, fifteen-year-old Waverly is expected to marry young and have children to populate a new planet, but a violent betrayal by the dogmatic leader of their sister ship could have devastating consequences.
Member:writemeg
Title:Glow (Sky Chasers)
Authors:Amy Kathleen Ryan
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:dystopia, science fiction, young adult

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (jenreidreads)
    jenreidreads: YA science fiction with romance...great stuff.
    Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (cleoppa)
    Gone by Michael Grant (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Since Glow has a Lord of the Flies (almost) exclusively kids free for all section in a good chunk of the book then the Gone series would have a similar theme

I really liked the overall plot and action in “Glow”. I’m still kind of new to some styles of the sci-fi genre so reading this book was a nice break from the books that I usually read. The story’s setting in space made it even more interesting to me. Our main character Waverly (which I thought was a pretty name) is considering marriage with her long time boyfriend, Kieran (also a pretty awesome name). From the start of the book we are immediately thrown into action as the girls form Empyrean are kidnapped by their sister ship for their “own good”.

We, as readers, get to follow Waverly and Kieran who narrate the various chapters of the events that are happening in on each ship. This made reading the book even more exciting, because the chapters end at a climatic point and quickly shift to an opposite narrative making you shout “Nooo! What happens next?!” It definitely kept me on my toes. The novel also kind of reminded by of the novel “The Lost Boys” by William Goulding except it’s set in space. It interesting to see the children cope as survivors in this situation and how they will work together to come to solutions and make everything right again.
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |
I’m gonna keep this review real. I’m going to be very strict and harsh. I loved what it started out as but by the end I was disgusted.
This is a terrible series. Not in because of the way it was structured, the beginning reveals enough setting to know what’s up and there’s no annoying assumption that we know what the world looks like, but the voice isn’t consistent. It’s a third point narrative yet by the end of the first book it feels like someone stabbed the original story teller and took his place. There were no hints or undertones towards the feeling of animosity there is at the end. However in the beginning it was suggested that Kieran and Seth were the leadership archetypes and one would win in the endbut then Seth showed why he couldn’t be this leader when he started bullying the little boys and starting a dictatorship. But Kieran began building strong qualities of leadership abilities like public speaking, quick action, resourcefulness, and charm. So when a Waverly turns on him it’s suddenly because he’s a cult leader. AND IT MADE NO SENSE TO ME BECAUSE OF HOW THE BEGINNING WAS SET UP. So all of a sudden he’s a dictator because everyone listens to him…
It is not a book for the faint heart. dozens of adults are killed within 10 pages, others are tortured (in a sense), the rest basically commit suicide entering a radioactive floor for hours, 13-16 year old girls are violated and taken advantage of to steal their fertile ovaries. The “pastor” of the other ship is painted as a cult leader: cunning, manipulative, charming. Kids die. Yup
There’s a pinch of romance (trigger warning: love triangle), the thrill of a tiny mystery, a ton of action, the promise of growth for our main hero but the end just rubbed me the wrong way in this book. ( )
  Jessika.C | Aug 20, 2016 |
I'm normally not a fan of science fiction, but this book grabbed my attention from the first page right through to the last. I can't wait to read the sequel! ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
This audio book comes in a 8-CD compilation, read by Ilyana Kadushin and Matthew Brown, with a running time of 10 hours (unabridged).

This is a very well written book, telling us the story of an expedition headed to the new earth in a far away galaxy. Two spaceships are traveling to this new world. One of them solved the problem of procreation on space while the other claims sabotage when receiving the information about this solution, that prevent their females to produce eggs. This causes a major conflict between the two spaceships and from there the story unfolds in a series of unexpected twists. Brilliant overall, you have all the ingredients to captivate the attention from the beginning and you really start cheering for your personal heroes. You have the love triangle, you have traitors, heroes, greedy people etc, that guarantees the success of the story. My only complain is that the continuation of this story is not published yet.

The narration of Ilyana Kadushin and Matthew Brown makes this listening very entertaining. Excellent option for a long commuting.

This is a must have in the permanent library of any science-fiction lover.

This audiobook was published by Macmillan Audio in September 2011 and Amazon.com was kind enough to provide this audiobook for me through their Vine Program for reviewing and I was not request to provide a positive review. Opinions expressed here are my own. ( )
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |
Very disturbing, even for a dystopian book. 14 and 15 yr olds having their eggs harvested against their wills and used to impregnate half the adult women on a rival ship? ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us. So that if we shall deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and so cause him to withdraw his present help from us, we shall be made a story and a by-word through the world.

—John Winthrop, founding member of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, in his work A Model of Christian Charity, 1630
Through all the Empyréan. Down they fell, Driven headlong from the pitch of Heaven...

—John Milton, Paradise Lost
For Alice
The other ship hung in the sky like a pendant, silver in the ether light cast by the nebula.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,921,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible