The Bippolo Seed and other lost stories by…

The Bippolo Seed and other lost stories

by Dr. Seuss

"The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories", by Dr. Seuss are about animals, twins and pets. With animals everything is always rhyming and I felt that the two boys in the stories are afraid of their parents and that his has some moral stories. Aged appropriately for third graders. It was a bit repetitive but still enjoyable to read. It is a good book. ( )
  sabdelaz | Jan 16, 2014 |
Not Seuss's best work but insightful in showing how these stories were expanded later into better known works. Best story is "The Bippolo Seed." ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
This audio book is a collection of lost treasures of Dr. Seuss’s rhyming stories. The stories were not published as a book but in magazines throughout the years and were collected by Seuss scholar Charles D. Cohen. Stories included in this audio book are: “The Bippolo Seed,” “The Rabbit, the Bear, and the Zinniga-Zanniga,” “Gustav, the Goldfish,” “Tadd and Todd,” “Steak for Supper,” “The Strange Shirt Spot,” and “The Great Henry McBride.” All seven stories are read by seven well-known stars. These stories are read in a rhythmic way, just like Dr. Seuss wrote them.

Each story is read by one reader and all the readers play their role as narrator as well as characters. They were changing their voices to differentiate between the characters and by doing so, it makes it easy for listeners to figure out which character is saying what line. The readers brought the story to life by reading them so convincingly and with such passion. Their pacing is perfect, not too slow, not too fast, and will get the readers listening.

These stories represent Dr. Seuss very well. Some of the stories have moral lesson such as about greed, some of them showcase Seuss’ rhyming skills, and some of them are adventure stories. Listeners are not told what type of story they are but as they listen, they might be able to find out. This audio book is a must have for all children’s library and will become a classic, like all Dr. Seuss’ books. ( )
  jinmoon | Nov 23, 2012 |
I grew up on Dr. Seuss books. Some of the earliest things I remember reading on my own were the traditional "Cat in the Hat", "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish", "Green Eggs and Ham", "Yertle the Turtle" and "My Book About Me". I remember mourning when Theodore Geisel passed away, knowing that his last few books, such as "The Butter Battle Book" would be the last new Dr. Seuss titles I'd ever see. Therefore, I was very surprised and pleased to stumble across this book on the New Books display in the kids book room. This book collects seven rare and obscure short works Geisel created for various magazines back in the 1950s and 1960s. Some of these stories play out very similarly to his well-known tales, while others are true oddities. I found myself in a nostalgic mood while enjoying this short collection -- it should appeal to any Seussian fan, in addition kids having their very first Seuss experiences. Not great literature, but a fascinating look at a missing chapter in the life of Dr. Seuss!

Originally reviewed for my local library's website: http://www.lincolnlibraries.org/depts/bookguide/srec/staffrec12-07.htm ( )
  cannellfan | Nov 21, 2012 |
Who isn't a fan of Dr. Seuss? His fun, rhyming stories with a moral taught many of us to read, or at least to enjoy words and the way they sound.

In The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories by Dr. Seuss, Charles D. Cohen, a leading Seuss scholar, tracked down and collected early Seuss stories previously only published in long-forgotten issues of magazines:

"From 1948 through 1959, Ted Geisel published a series of short works that appeared in magazines, most of which were tossed out when the next month's issue arrives. Over time, these stories were largely forgotten. But after tracing references to them, I traveled to libraries to research their collections of these old magazines; investigated, photocopied, and chronicled the stories; and eventually tracked down and purchased copies of the original magazines through the Internet" (pg. 9).

The result is a short collection of seven nearly-forgotten Seuss stories, each one imaginative, fun, and edifying.

When flipping through the book, I noticed that one story, called "Gustav, the Goldfish" sounded very familiar. I knew that I had read the story before, and yet this was supposed to be a book of "lost" stories. In the introduction, Cohen explains:

"Early editions of the popular Beginner Book A Fish out of Water included a claim on the dust jacket that the author, Helen Palmer, was 'married to an eccentric writer, Theo. LeSieg (himself a Beginner Book author.' By now, many people know that 'LeSieg' is 'Geisel' spelled backward and that Helen Palmer was Ted Geisel's first wife. What few people know is that her book was based on one of Ted's lost stories, 'Gustav, the Goldfish' (pg. 11).

I must have read Palmer's book - Cohen says that "the basic stories in 'Gustav' and A Fish out of Water are identical" (pg. 11).

Other stories in the book are "The Bippolo Seed", about a duck and a cat that get a little too greedy with their wishes; "The Rabbit, the Bear, and the Zinniga-Zanniga", about a rabbit that outsmarts a bear to save his life; "Tadd and Todd", about identical twins looking for their own unique identities; "Steak for Supper" which features quite a few of Seuss's inventive creatures; "The Strange Shirt Spot", the idea for which influences an important scene in the later The Cat in the Hat Comes Back; and "The Great Henry McBride", in which a boy imagines having many fabulous jobs when he grows up.

The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories is a fun, quick read for Seuss fans like me. I highly recommend it. ( )
  ReadHanded | May 30, 2012 |

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cusack, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, Neil PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huston, AnjelicaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375864350, Hardcover)

It's the literary equivalent of buried treasure! Seuss scholar/collector Charles D. Cohen has hunted down seven rarely seen stories by Dr. Seuss. Originally published in magazines between 1948 and 1959, they include "The Bear, the Rabbit, and the Zinniga-Zanniga " (about a rabbit who is saved from a bear with a single eyelash!); "Gustav the Goldfish" (an early, rhymed version of the Beginner Book A Fish Out of Water); "Tadd and Todd" (a tale passed down via photocopy to generations of twins); "Steak for Supper" (about fantastic creatures who follow a boy home in anticipation of a steak dinner); "The Bippolo Seed" (in which a scheming feline leads an innocent duck to make a bad decision); "The Strange Shirt Spot" (the inspiration for the bathtub-ring scene in The Cat in the Hat Comes Back); and "The Great Henry McBride" (about a boy whose far-flung career fantasies are only bested by those of the real Dr. Seuss himself).

In an introduction to the collection, Cohen traces the history of these stories, which demonstrate an intentional and significant change that led to the writing style we associate with Dr. Seuss today. Cohen also explores these stories' themes that recur in better-known Seuss stories (like the importance of the imagination, or the perils of greed). With a color palette that has been enhanced beyond the limitations of the original magazines in which they appeared, this is a collection of stories that no Seuss fan (whether scholar or second-grader) will want to miss!

Illustrations from The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

Gustav, the Goldfish The Great Henry McBride

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:55 -0400)

Presents seven Dr. Seuss stories first published in magazines between 1950 and 1951, with an introduction and commentary on each.

107 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible