2:46: Aftershocks: Stories from the Japan…

2:46: Aftershocks: Stories from the Japan Earthquake (edition 2011)

by William Gibson, Yoko Ono, Barry Eisler, Jake Adelstein, The quakebook community1 more, Our Man in Abiko (Editor)

89None134,606 (3.5)5
Member:kidzdoc
Title:2:46: Aftershocks: Stories from the Japan Earthquake
Authors:William Gibson
Other authors:Yoko Ono, Barry Eisler, Jake Adelstein, The quakebook community, Our Man in Abiko (Editor)
Info:
Rating:***1/2

2:46: Aftershocks: Stories from the Japan Earthquake by The quakebook community

This is a collection of stories gathered from survivors of the March 2011 earthquake, tsunami, and subsequent Fukushima nuclear disaster. The collection was put together in the immediate aftermath of the quake, so while the full scope of Fukushima was not known, most were still in the throes of the apocalyptic reporting of the world press.

The vignettes are powerful. Or moving. Or disturbing. Or any other adjective of which you can think. ( )
  ScoutJ | Mar 4, 2014 |

ScoutJ | Mar 4, 2014 |

ScoutJ | Mar 30, 2013 |
The story of this book is amazing: a group of people united through Twitter to create a book about the terrible earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan early this year – all in a week. The number of people involved is amazing too: Yoko Ono, journalists from around the world, the people of Japan and others from around the world. Not everyone had a direct link with Japan, but they all cared and worried about the thousands affected. Simply, this book is an example of the caring side of the human spirit.

Why did I read this? I am a Japan-ophile myself, having visited the country on a prolonged visit and fallen in love with the people, the scenery, the culture in addition to studying Japanese for six years. I found the people incredibly kind – from the gentleman who showed me back to my hotel when I was lost (which was the completely opposite way to where he was going) and the schoolchildren at Genbaku Domu in Hiroshima. I wanted to support the Japanese Red Cross (from which the cost of the book went to).

This book conveys so many emotions – from terror, loss and shock to the happiness of being reunited with family and then again to some strangely funny moments. It really does cover the entire spectrum. It’s also put together really well – one moment you’ll be wiping away tears and the next you’ll be smiling through them. It also goes to show that this quake affected many people and the great way people joined together to help others. (I was in Singapore post-quake and the generosity demonstrated by store, school children and the community was impressive).

This book is a must read for those who love Japan and want to help. Well done to those involved, you’ve got a great record of reactions to the quake. ( )
  birdsam0610 | Nov 14, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible