Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Why We Broke Up

by Daniel Handler

Other authors: Maira Kalman (Illustrator)

1,22010810,014 (3.5)33
Recently added byMLCavaliere, shewrotewords, Leah_Marie, private library, ballycumber, beth183, K88, ghsmediacenter

English (105)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (108)
This is a limited book about teenage love, itself limited. I enjoyed the narrator and found the plot true to the high school experience, if a little young. The conceit of annotating the saved objects wears a bit, but works generally. This may be great Young Adult or passable Fiction. The illustrations were mostly ugly and weighed the book down, literally and figuratively. What's with Handler and bad illustrators? ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
Imposible. La protagonista es tonta de remate y de los primeros capítulos no he podido pasar. Fin ( )
  dieciseislunas | Jun 2, 2019 |
This YA book tells how Min broke up with Ed through a recounting of the letter she is writing to him. In the letter she tells about the things in a box she is returning to him and why she is returning them. Those things each have a story that goes along with events from their former relationship. The storyline would probably resonate with a teenage girl who is experiencing first love or who has just broken up with her true love. Many readers can probably relate because they also have a collection of keepsakes that tell a story like the one in this book. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
I sure do love Lemony Snicket -- AND Maira Kalman. If I want to finish thisfor free I'll have to get the audiobook on Scribd.
  lulaa | Aug 25, 2018 |
This book held me softly, shattered my heart, then helped me process the grief and pain. Go read it. You'll either love it or hate it - for those of you who hate it, your distaste is totally worth it so that those of us who love it can have this experience. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Filled with long, lovely riffs of language (some paragraphs of Min’s moody reflections go on for over a page), exquisite scenes of teenage life and the sad souvenirs of one high school relationship, “Why We Broke Up” is a silken, bittersweet tale of adolescent heartache.

Handler, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kalman, MairaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Charlotte—why we got together — D.H. + M.K.
Dear Ed, In a sec you'll hear a thunk.
... the thing with your heart's desire is that your heart doesn't even know what it desires until it turns up.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316127256, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: Min, precocious and equally obsessed with classic cinema and good coffee, broke up with Ed, a popular math-loving jock who secretly carries a protractor. Daniel Handler weaves this heartrending story of first love and other powerful firsts as Min reveals, item by item, what's in the box she's leaving on Ed's doorstep. As readers learn why these two unforgettable characters broke up, the significance of these simple love tokens, beautifully illustrated by Maira Kalman, charmingly unfolds. Written with an emotional depth that allows both adult and teen readers to revisit memories of heartbreak and find pieces of themselves in Min--and maybe even Ed, Why We Broke Up will leave you wondering how Handler knows exactly what it's like to be a teenage girl in love. --JoVon Sotak

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:44 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Min Green writes a letter to Ed Slaterton in which she breaks up with him, documenting their relationship and how items in the accompanying box, from bottle caps to a cookbook, foretell the end.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,294,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible