The Dovekeepers by Alice  Hoffman

The Dovekeepers (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Alice  Hoffman

Member:whitewavedarling
Title:The Dovekeepers
Authors:Alice  Hoffman
Info:Scribner (2011), Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Historical Fiction

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman (2011)

English (98)  Dutch (2)  All languages (100)
I felt so close to these women I ended up feeling bereft when the book ended. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Apr 22, 2016 |
Okay. Today is February 19th 2015 and it appears I am in a reading slump but it could also be the books I chose after reading a book I very much enjoyed which was NOS4As by Joe Hill.

Then I read Snow Child which was not bad at all but not in the right mood so I am going to write down which books I gave a try.

Well this was one of them and I did read quite a lot (as with the other books) . 35% for sure but I did not like the writing style. Yes I can appreciate beautiful language but this author thinks that people in that time period apparently used the same words and used a lot of those same words repeatedly.

Too bad because there was a real concept and I waned to read more but after q/3rd I could not stand it any longer so I am going to set this book as not finished which means it will count for my reading count of 2015 but considering all the 1/3rds of books I have read over the last 3/4 days it should count as 2.

Note more for myself:

I tried:

*What looks like Crazy on a .... I will give this book another chance though.

*a few true crime books
*Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky.

Warning: Mayor Rant Coming Up!I tried and was interested but when she started to write about a boy she liked I suddenly realized that it was one of them! books. ll the copycat authors who tried to copy Twilight Zone and The Hunger Games. Talking about the Divergent series,Legend,Under the Never sky.

All those authors felt they also had to have a girl being in love with 2 boys and that is what I cannot stomach anymore. I did enjoy the various worlds some of the mentioned authors created but why o why do they also have to have the trio love story. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If The Awaken series is not about a girl in love with 2 boys then please accept my apology and I am very sorry.

Of to ask someone who has read that book by Katie Kacvinsky if it is any good.
Must admit I now notice her series did not hit it as big as the others. Which surprises me and can be a good sign,

Anyway. I hate reading slumps!!!!!!! because reading is one of few things that calm me down and as you probably noticed I am very in need of being calm.

ETA: Also an apology to Alice Hoffman for hardly writing bout her book.

(although thinking about it a bit more I think she should be thrilled I did not write more about it with the mood I am in.)
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
If you're familiar with Alice Hoffman (I always think of Practical Magic and how incredibly gorgeously written it was) you know what to expect from her: a world that is realistic and yet has a hint of magic to it; beautiful language and artistic turns of phrase; and delicately wrought, emotional characters (she has an especially deft touch with the inner lives of women).

This book delivers all of that and more, because it's the first of her books (at least of the ones I've read) to be set against a true-life background rich in historical detail. I almost dare someone to read this book and not afterward look up more information about the fortress of Masada and the events that took place there in the first century. But the story itself is rich and intriguing; the "historical" parts are seamlessly intertwined with, and read just as well as, the events in the lives of the fictional characters.

One note: the book switches narrators a couple of times. The first time, I was a little upset because I was thoroughly enraptured by the original narrator and didn't want to lose her voice or the thread of her story. Never fear, though -- within a few pages I was just as in love with the second narrator, and the stories of all the narrators are woven together by the end, so none of their stories are lost, and the reader ends up forging a close bond with multiple characters instead of with only one.

In short, this was not only a beautiful story (as are all of Hoffman's book), but also a great piece of historical fiction. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I know lots of people who loved this book. I loved the idea of telling stories of the women of Masada, but it never engaged me. Put it down without finishing.
  seschanfield | Mar 7, 2016 |
Recommended by Karen Seaton
  ValNewHope | Mar 5, 2016 |
You could call it a hoopla sandwich. On the back cover, a blurb from a famous, widely respected author describing the novel as “a major contribution to 21st-century literature.” On the jacket flap, a publisher’s summary proclaiming this book to be the writer’s “masterpiece.” Yet in between, instead of a gripping work of fiction that lives up to this praise, is a long novel full of middling descriptions, hackneyed characters and histrionic plot twists.

Let my burden be your burden, and yours be mine.
We had been wandering for so long I forgot what it was like to live within walls or sleep through the night.
Do not combine the book with the "The Dovekeepers TV Mini-Series" video.

In 70 CE, nine hundred Jews held out for months against armies of Romans on a mountain in the Judean desert, Masada. According to the ancient historian Josephus, two women and five children survived. Based on this tragic historical event, Hoffman weaves a spellbinding tale of four extraordinary, bold, resourceful, and sensuous women, each of whom has come to Masada by a different path. Yael’s mother died in childbirth, and her father never forgave her for that death. Revka, a village baker’s wife, watched the horrifically brutal murder of her daughter by Roman soldiers; she brings to Masada her twin grandsons, rendered mute by their own witness. Aziza is a warrior’s daughter, raised as a boy, a fearless rider and expert marksman, who finds passion with another soldier. Shirah is wise in the ways of ancient magic and medicine, a woman with uncanny insight and power. The lives of these four complex and fiercely independent women intersect in the desperate days of the siege, as the Romans draw near. All are dovekeepers, and all are also keeping secrets—about who they are, where they come from, who fathered them, and whom they love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 145161747X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2011: Yael was born of a dead mother and father who knows how to become invisible. Revka learned silence when her grandsons lost their voices after witnessing their mother’s brutal murder. Aziza became a boy to protect herself, and hates being forced to turn back into a woman. And Shirah will do anything to protect those she loves from the horrors of the world. The power and violence of these women is evident in every word of The Dovekeepers. Hoffman’s prose is vivid and unforgettable, scorching like the desert heat, and will stay with you long after you finish the last page. A story of sacrifice, endurance, and above all, survival, The Dovekeepers is homage to anyone who’s ever held fast to their beliefs in the face of nearly insurmountable adversity. --Malissa Kent

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:33 -0400)

A tale inspired by the tragic first-century massacre of hundreds of Jewish people at Masada presents the stories of a hated daughter, a baker's wife, a girl disguised as a warrior, and a medicine woman who keep doves and secrets while Roman soldiers drawnear.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,909,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible