The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

The Dovekeepers (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Alice Hoffman

Title:The Dovekeepers
Authors:Alice Hoffman
Info:Simon & Schuster Ltd (2011), Edition: Export ed, Paperback

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman (2011)

Recently added byprivate library, LitaVore, Gcleare, bridgetmarkwood, shrimpgirl, KimSalyers, trwm

English (103)  Dutch (2)  All languages (105)
A lovely book, fascinating, top-notch. ( )
  Gcleare | Oct 16, 2016 |
A lovely book, fascinating, top-notch. ( )
  Gcleare | Oct 16, 2016 |
The Dovekeepersis written in the voices of four women. Unfortunately, the first woman's voice is the weakest, so the book is difficult to "get into." If a friend had not warned me ahead of time that it starts slow but gets better, I'm not sure I would have persevered. But I'm glad I did, because it developed into an intriguing portrait of ancient life and women's roles in violent, desperate society. Naturally, there was the stereotypical emphasis on inequality, but there was also bravery, resilience and loyalty. Hoffman richly describes the desolate desert landscape so that it becomes more alive, and her weaving of animals and magic throughout the story adds wonderful depth. Clearly every aspect of the novel was dutifully researched, leaving me with a better understanding of the world, which is what I enjoy most about reading historical fiction. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
Exquisite and devastating. I can't wait to come back to this in a few years. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
To be completely honest, I didn't finish this book. I got through the first part and started in on the second and just stopped. In the beginning, I really was enjoying it. The writing was descriptive and the situation interesting but, somewhere in the desert, I began to skim. I don't know if it was because the first girl was young (16-ish I think) that she was like that or if the writer just liked trying to beat her readers over the head with repetition. She would not shut up. Kept going on and on about the same things and it made a character that I had started out liking into someone I really wanted to smack.

Those who I've talked to really liked this book. Maybe it just wasn't for me. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |
You could call it a hoopla sandwich. On the back cover, a blurb from a famous, widely respected author describing the novel as “a major contribution to 21st-century literature.” On the jacket flap, a publisher’s summary proclaiming this book to be the writer’s “masterpiece.” Yet in between, instead of a gripping work of fiction that lives up to this praise, is a long novel full of middling descriptions, hackneyed characters and histrionic plot twists.
Let my burden be your burden, and yours be mine.
We had been wandering for so long I forgot what it was like to live within walls or sleep through the night.
Do not combine the book with the "The Dovekeepers TV Mini-Series" video.

In 70 CE, nine hundred Jews held out for months against armies of Romans on a mountain in the Judean desert, Masada. According to the ancient historian Josephus, two women and five children survived. Based on this tragic historical event, Hoffman weaves a spellbinding tale of four extraordinary, bold, resourceful, and sensuous women, each of whom has come to Masada by a different path. Yael’s mother died in childbirth, and her father never forgave her for that death. Revka, a village baker’s wife, watched the horrifically brutal murder of her daughter by Roman soldiers; she brings to Masada her twin grandsons, rendered mute by their own witness. Aziza is a warrior’s daughter, raised as a boy, a fearless rider and expert marksman, who finds passion with another soldier. Shirah is wise in the ways of ancient magic and medicine, a woman with uncanny insight and power. The lives of these four complex and fiercely independent women intersect in the desperate days of the siege, as the Romans draw near. All are dovekeepers, and all are also keeping secrets—about who they are, where they come from, who fathered them, and whom they love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 145161747X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2011: Yael was born of a dead mother and father who knows how to become invisible. Revka learned silence when her grandsons lost their voices after witnessing their mother’s brutal murder. Aziza became a boy to protect herself, and hates being forced to turn back into a woman. And Shirah will do anything to protect those she loves from the horrors of the world. The power and violence of these women is evident in every word of The Dovekeepers. Hoffman’s prose is vivid and unforgettable, scorching like the desert heat, and will stay with you long after you finish the last page. A story of sacrifice, endurance, and above all, survival, The Dovekeepers is homage to anyone who’s ever held fast to their beliefs in the face of nearly insurmountable adversity. --Malissa Kent

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:33 -0400)

A tale inspired by the tragic first-century massacre of hundreds of Jewish people at Masada presents the stories of a hated daughter, a baker's wife, a girl disguised as a warrior, and a medicine woman who keep doves and secrets while Roman soldiers drawnear.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,765,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible