Bigger than a Bread Box by Laurel Snyder

Bigger than a Bread Box (edition 2012)

by Laurel Snyder

Member:BookshelfMonstrosity
Title:Bigger than a Bread Box
Authors:Laurel Snyder
Info:Yearling (2012), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:children's literature, fiction, divorce, wishes, homesickness, moving, Baltimore, Atlanta, magic

Bigger than a Bread Box by Laurel Snyder

This was a mildly enjoyable book for me. I didn't really feel the magic that I was expecting to, and it never really pulled me in, but I did like it. I liked the characters and the settings and thought the author did a fantastic job of making you feel like you were in Baltimore and Atlanta. I guess my main problem with it was that it felt too much like realistic fiction to have magic involved. I kept waiting to hear that the bread box was symbolic and that Rebecca really was stealing everything because of the mess her parents made of her life. And the ending was a little strange and felt at the same time too open-ended and too neatly tied-up. I'm not sure how that is possible, but that is how I felt while reading it. However, there are probably many middle school students who can totally relate to the character of Rebecca. She stays real through the whole book even though she makes some bad decisions. And I appreciated the love she showed to her little brother. However, at one point she has an argument with her mother and tells her mom how selfish she is and how everything is about her mom and she didn't think about anyone else when making certain decisions, but I felt like Rebecca shared in that selfishness and was poor me-ing through most of the book.
All in all, I liked this book and will recommend it to my middle schoolers.

Areas of concern:
Parents fighting and them mom taking children and leaving.
12 year old puts herself in a very dangerous situation.
A lot of lying. ( )
  Bduke | Oct 14, 2014 |
Twelve-year old Rebecca has suddenly found herself living with her grandmother in Atlanta after her mother abruptly left her father in Baltimore. Rebecca has a lot of questions about her parents marriage and a lot of trepidation about being the new kid in a new school, all of which sound authentic and poignant. Laurel Synder spins magic into her novel through Rebecca's discovery of a wish-granting bread box that she finds in her grandmother's attic. But can what we truly need and want be so easy to get just by wishing for it?

Highly recommended novel. My students in the 5th and 6th grade will be my target audience, particularly girls who love their realistic fiction served up with a twist. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
One of the best middle grade books I've read! ( )
  patsaintsfan | Apr 15, 2014 |
Bigger Than a Bread Box by Laurel Snyder is the story of a teenager trying to put her family together again before her parents decide to get a divorce. Her only tool is a breadbox that seems capable of granting wishes.

Rebecca, her mother, and much younger brother have moved temporarily to Atlanta, to her grandmother's home. Her father hasn't been able to find work and the stress is just too much for her mother.

Up in the attic Rebecca finds a breadbox and while fiddling around with it, she realizes it can make small things appear. But her wishes have to be tangible, real world, and small enough to fit inside.

As you can imagine, a magic box with no instructions can easily get out of hand. Rebecca soon has the consequences of her wishes to reckon with on top of her family trouble.

It's a short, emotionally charged and thoroughly magical novel. The climax took me completely by surprise, turning an otherwise heartwarming tale with a moral into something boarding on horror; I love horror. ( )
  pussreboots | Feb 27, 2014 |
The element of fantasy in this book is never completely explained. We just take it on faith, that a girl, removed from her home by a mother in the throes of separating from her husband, would find a box capable of granting wishes so long as they didn't take up more room than the box.

I guess that's how it is with magic. It comes and goes when it is least expected.
  paakre | Apr 27, 2013 |
I was in the dining room part of the kitchen doing my math homework at the table when the lights suddenly blinked off.

A magical breadbox that delivers whatever you wish for—as long as it fits inside? It's too good to be true! Twelve-year-old Rebecca is struggling with her parents' separation, as well as a sudden move to her Gran's house in another state. For a while, the magic bread box, discovered in the attic, makes life away from home a little easier. Then suddenly it starts to make things much, much more difficult, and Rebecca is forced to decide not just where, but who she really wants to be. Laurel Snyder's most thought-provoking book yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:10 -0400)

Devastated when her parents separate, twelve-year-old Rebecca must move with her mother from Baltimore to Gran's house in Atlanta, where Rebecca discovers an old breadbox with the power to grant any wish--so long as the wished-for thing fits in the breadbox.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,986,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible