A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas

A Three Dog Life (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Abigail Thomas

Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:A Three Dog Life
Authors:Abigail Thomas
Info:Harvest Books (2007), Edition: 1, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:2011

A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas (2006)

English (53)  Dutch (2)  All languages (55)
"I feel like a tent that wants to be a kite, tugging at my stakes." ( )
  Yerk | Jun 9, 2016 |
A Three Dog Life : a memoir - Abigail Thomas
5 *****
One April evening, Abigail's husband Rich leaves to take their dog for a walk. When the dog returns without him, Abigail soon learns that her husband has been seriously injured in a traffic accident. He survives, permanently brain damaged. A Three Dog Life is Abigail's story of surviving a sudden catastrophic loss. Although she speaks of her husband with great empathy, love and compassion, this is not a story of his recovery and disability. This is Abigail's story of grief, change and growth. While her husband requires 24 hour care in a locked ward, Abigail's recovery revolves around her dogs.

This book has been on my shelf since it first appeared at Costco more than 3 years ago. I knew I would feel as if it was written for me, but before now I couldn't bring myself to read it. Today as I finished this brief, absorbing little book, I felt as if I'd just spent the afternoon with a dear friend who understood exactly what I've been through.
A little bit of white out on the text; change traumatic brain injury for tragic fatality and this could be my story. It could be the story of anyone who has suffered a sudden catastrophic loss.
And I know exactly how therapeutic dogs can be. She talks about napping with her dogs, "We are doing something as necessary to our well-being as food or air or water. We are steeping ourselves, reassuring ourselves, renewing ourselves, three creatures of two species, finding comfort in the simple exchange of body warmth."

There's a chapter called "How To Banish Melancholy" that starts, "You will need three dogs ....When you open your eyes (her warm doggy breath on your face) she will be staring at you with such intensity that you burst out laughing..... You follow them onto the wet green lawn. So now you're outdoors and it's five A.M. "
Been there. Done that.
The thing is, if you have responsibilities you have to get out of bed. It's just so much better if, no matter how bad things are, you can get up laughing.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Beautiful! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Beautiful! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
"When Abigail Thomas's husband, Rich, was hit by a car, his skull was shattered, his brain severely damaged. Subject to rages, terrors, and hallucinations, he was sent to live in a nursing facility that specializes in traumatic brain injuries. He had no memory of what he did the hour, the day, the year before. This tragedy is the ground on which Abigail had to build a new life. How she built that life is a story of great courage and change, of moving to a small country town, of a new family composed of three dogs, knitting, and friendship, of facing down guilt and discovering gratitude. It is also about her relationship with Rich, a man who lived in the eternal present, and the eerie poetry of his often uncanny perceptions. This wise, plainspoken, beautiful book enacts the truth Abigail has discovered in the years since the accident: You might not find meaning in disaster, but you might, with effort, make something useful of it."
~~front flap

The only reason I gave this book 5 stars is because I couldn't give it 10. This books is shattering, exquisitely written, hauntingly beautiful, illuminating, and life changing. I urge you to read it -- you will tumble headlong into a world that's unimaginable yet all too real, and follow Abigail as she stumbles to find her center in the midst of the upheaval of her world. ( )
  Aspenhugger | Apr 6, 2015 |
For Sally
This is the one thing that stays the same: my husband got hurt.

When Abigail Thomas’s husband, Rich, was hit by a car, his skull was shattered, his brain severely damaged. Subject to rages, terrors, and hallucinations—and with no memory of what he did the hour, the day, the year before—he was sent to live in a nursing facility that specializes in treating traumatic brain injuries. This tragedy is the ground on which Abigail had to build a new life. How she built that life is a story of great courage and change, of moving to a small country town, of a new family composed of three dogs, knitting, and friendship, of facing down guilt and discovering gratitude. It is also about her relationship with Rich, a man who lived in the eternal present, and the eerie poetry of his often uncanny perceptions. Hailed by Stephen King as "the best memoir I have ever read," this wise, plainspoken, beautiful book enacts the truth Abigail has discovered since the accident: You might not find meaning in disaster, but you might, with effort, make something useful of it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:29 -0400)

When Abigail Thomas's husband, Rich, was hit by a car, his brain shattered. Subject to rages, terrors, and hallucinations, he must live the rest of his life in an institution. He has no memory of what he did the hour, the day, the year before. This tragedy is the ground on which Abigail had to build a new life. How she built that life is a story of great courage and great change, of moving to a small country town, of a new family composed of three dogs, knitting, and friendship, of facing down guilt and discovering gratitude. It is also about her relationship with Rich, a man who lives in the eternal present, and the eerie poetry of his often uncanny perceptions.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,307,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible