A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas

A Three Dog Life (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Abigail Thomas

Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:A Three Dog Life
Authors:Abigail Thomas
Info:Harvest Books (2007), Edition: 1, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:2011

A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas (2006)

English (50)  Dutch (2)  All languages (52)
"When Abigail Thomas's husband, Rich, was hit by a car, his skull was shattered, his brain severely damaged. Subject to rages, terrors, and hallucinations, he was sent to live in a nursing facility that specializes in traumatic brain injuries. He had no memory of what he did the hour, the day, the year before. This tragedy is the ground on which Abigail had to build a new life. How she built that life is a story of great courage and change, of moving to a small country town, of a new family composed of three dogs, knitting, and friendship, of facing down guilt and discovering gratitude. It is also about her relationship with Rich, a man who lived in the eternal present, and the eerie poetry of his often uncanny perceptions. This wise, plainspoken, beautiful book enacts the truth Abigail has discovered in the years since the accident: You might not find meaning in disaster, but you might, with effort, make something useful of it."
~~front flap

The only reason I gave this book 5 stars is because I couldn't give it 10. This books is shattering, exquisitely written, hauntingly beautiful, illuminating, and life changing. I urge you to read it -- you will tumble headlong into a world that's unimaginable yet all too real, and follow Abigail as she stumbles to find her center in the midst of the upheaval of her world. ( )
  Aspenhugger | Apr 6, 2015 |
It has been along time since I have read this but i remember being greatly impacted by it and thinking it beautiful. ( )
  franklinki | Feb 2, 2015 |
This is a moving story, beautifully told of the author's handling of the aftermath of her husband's accident. Out walking the dog one night, he was knocked down by a car and sustained horrific brain injuries. It's a story of finding some kind of acceptance of a life that's been irrevocably changed and a future that's been snatched away. There's no sentimentality here, just clear, sensitive narration of things we all hope we never have to experience. Largely it's about the mutual comfort to be found in the relationship between animals and humans (in this case the author and her three dogs). For dog lovers (or any animal lovers) the following passage, describing the author's occasional naps with her dogs (before the third arrived), rings so true:

"... you might frind us together sleeping. We are doing something as necessary to our wellbeing as food, or air, or water. We are steeping ourselves, reassuring ourselves, renewing ourselves. Three creatures of two different species finding comfort in the simple exchange of body warmth." ( )
  Anne_Green | Aug 25, 2014 |
I read this in a few short hours, it was a sweet story about love and dedication. Makes me want to hug my husband a little tighter. ( )
  amandafite | Mar 6, 2014 |
I love the title"Three dog life" from the aborigines who sleep with their dogs. A cold night is a three dog night. Our pets sometimes are what help us through the difficulty in our lives. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
For Sally
This is the one thing that stays the same: my husband got hurt.

When Abigail Thomas’s husband, Rich, was hit by a car, his skull was shattered, his brain severely damaged. Subject to rages, terrors, and hallucinations—and with no memory of what he did the hour, the day, the year before—he was sent to live in a nursing facility that specializes in treating traumatic brain injuries. This tragedy is the ground on which Abigail had to build a new life. How she built that life is a story of great courage and change, of moving to a small country town, of a new family composed of three dogs, knitting, and friendship, of facing down guilt and discovering gratitude. It is also about her relationship with Rich, a man who lived in the eternal present, and the eerie poetry of his often uncanny perceptions. Hailed by Stephen King as "the best memoir I have ever read," this wise, plainspoken, beautiful book enacts the truth Abigail has discovered since the accident: You might not find meaning in disaster, but you might, with effort, make something useful of it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:29 -0400)

When Abigail Thomas's husband, Rich, was hit by a car, his brain shattered. Subject to rages, terrors, and hallucinations, he must live the rest of his life in an institution. He has no memory of what he did the hour, the day, the year before. This tragedy is the ground on which Abigail had to build a new life. How she built that life is a story of great courage and great change, of moving to a small country town, of a new family composed of three dogs, knitting, and friendship, of facing down guilt and discovering gratitude. It is also about her relationship with Rich, a man who lives in the eternal present, and the eerie poetry of his often uncanny perceptions.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,901,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible