Night Mare by Piers Anthony

Night Mare (1982)

by Piers Anthony

Series: Xanth (6)

Night Mare centers around Mare Imbrium, one of the night mares charged with delivering bad dreams to the people of Xanth. Imbri carries half a soul, her fee for being the unwilling steed of the half-nymph Tandy. She is unwilling to relinquish her soul, though the conscience that comes with it impedes her ability to deliver bad dreams. The Night Stallion, ruler of the gourd realm, banishes Imbri to the day world and sends her to meet Trent, King of Xanth, with an ominous message. Mare meets the relentless, unforgiving Horseman and for the night mare, everything begins to become a horrible nightmare!… (more)
Recently added byAprilBPL, evan.kirshenbaum, Fidelias, Felicia99, homeopath, fantasymatt, barnetja, private library

This one was one of my favorite Xanth books, I loved Mare Imbri! ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
Opposition. ( )
  JorgeCarvajal | Feb 13, 2015 |
Least enjoyable of the six Xanth books I've read so far, but still a good yarn. I don't think this one was as clever as the others, just more straightforward story telling with existing characters. Still enjoyed it...and will tackle the next one soon. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |
XANTH
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
#6 in the series-- this was the book that made me start to read the books. I saw the original Oil painting sold at a Con and LOVED it and had toread the books!!!
"Xanth is under threat of a barbarian invasion from Mundania. Its only hope is the talents of the Magicians of Xanth and an exiled night mare, sent to the world of waking with the dire message: "Beware the Horseman." " ( )
  Scoshie | May 6, 2011 |

Anthony, PiersAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For our Mare
Sky Blue
and her girl Penny
our Heaven-cent daughter
The stork glided to a landing before Stunk's residence and squawked for attention.
Marriage, in Xanth, was whatever one made of it, anyway; the real test of it would be the acceptance by the partners in it and by the wider community, rather than any single ceremony.
"I believe King Trent was correct; there has to be freedom of the border and commerce between Xanth and Mundania."
"In all fairness, I must tell you two things," Bink said. "First, the nymph is not real. She is a shape from a spell, with no mind at all—"

"I don't care where she's from or how smart she is!" the Mundane said, licking his brute lips. "I'm going to give her the time of my life."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,635,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible