Colin Preston Rocked and Rolled by Bert…

Colin Preston Rocked and Rolled

by Bert Murray

Immaturity, hormones, and unreturned love throw the main character, Colin, into a tizzy. He lacks the maturity and experience to deal with casual sex and is desperate for someone to love him. There is a deficiency of self-respect or respect of others that makes the characters appear shallow and incapability of emotional development. The technology and settings are dated but is appropriate for the period. Some young adult readers would commiserate with Colin college experience. Other would say, “Grow up”. ( )
  bemislibrary | Jul 3, 2016 |
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was an enjoyable book with great characters. The storyline was well developed and stayed true to the 80's era. I could picture myself being part of the story rather than reading it. Bottom line this was a light enjoyable flashback to the 80's. Looking forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Jan 20, 2014 |
Many thanks to Goodreads first reads programme and the author - [a:Bert Murray|4519512|Bert Murray|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1302547266p2/4519512.jpg] - for providing this book free for review.

I feel somewhat guilty that my review can't be more positive when I received such a nice message from the author requesting that I review this book. I wanted to come back with nothing but praise and compliments and declare it an undiscovered masterpiece... but I also think it's my job to review honestly and that's what you're going to get from me.

It's a very easy book to read, let me say that first of all, and both the subject matter and the protagonist are mostly relatable to. Those who have ever gone to university or just generally been your average teenager will recognise aspects of Colin's life from their own. The first thing that strikes me as odd and, personally, I think lets the book down is that it appears to be a young adult novel in many ways but is not.

Colin is a 19-year-old student at university, between classes he can be found getting drunk and sleeping with the hottest sophomore on campus. This to me makes it sound like a book for teens but it quickly becomes clear that this is not the author's intention. There you face the first obstacle - the right sort of people aren't going to read this book! Adults don't often pick up books about college kids getting drunk and getting laid (usually in that order) and the teens who are likely to read a book presented like this often won't appreciate the story.

I think I understood eventually after spending some time with each paragraph that this novel is actually about far more than just pratting around on campus... it seems to have some interesting ideas but it's unclear as to what the author wants to convey sometimes; so then it just fails to be deep and meaningful and comes across at face value - drunk uni students.

I admit that I was immediately grabbed by all the pop culture references and the mentions of some of my favourite bands. To be honest, the book is one great big tribute to classic rock and this it does very well! I had to go listen to some songs I haven't heard in a while as soon as I put it down.

Despite a few problems I had with the novel, I think I could have put up with that and enjoyed it a lot more if I wasn't immediately turned off by the jerky phrasing and poor sentencing used quite often. On the very first page we are told about Colin's friend - Karl - and we are given four sentences which all start with a male pronoun and it doesn't read very well:

"He wore a Boston Red Sox cap backward and tinted-black sunglasses. He was my best friend at Elerby and the backup quarterback for the football team. His dimples seemed to attract every good-looking girl on campus. His piercing blue eyes and wavy blond hair didn't hurt either."

You see? It was rather off-putting to read that on the first page, second paragraph. I do think [a:Bert Murray|4519512|Bert Murray|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1302547266p2/4519512.jpg] shows some potential as an author and I like his ideas but I'm afraid this book didn't do it for me.

emleemay | Mar 28, 2013 |
Colin Preston is a bit of an outcast in this book. He doesn't really fit in anywhere, which I think is why I liked him so much. It's not so much that he doesn't care about what other people think about him it's more that he's just so different from everyone else. He loves the Beatles - their music comes up quite a bit throughout the story. It was interested for me to see how he connected to the music so much. It seemed like when he couldn't connect to anything else, the Beatles were there for him. Given that I liked him so much I hate to say that he was quite quirky. I'm still trying to figure out if he was crazy, but quirky sums it up nicely. And some of the things that happen in the story make me feel so sorry for him. I just wanted to hug him and tell him everything was going to be ok.

All the people in the book were quirky though. The parents were odd, the aunt and uncle were odd, the professors were odd - even the beautiful Jasmine had her quirks. It really makes you realize that no one is "normal" we all have quirks but those quirks are what make us who we are.

The writing was pretty good. I found it to be quite humorous. There weren't any ROFL laughing moments, but I let a few snickers out while I was reading it. There were some serious sides to the story also. There are some pretty dark themes that come up throughout the book, and without the humor to lighten them up I think this would have been a much more difficult book to read.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't a great novel, but it was pretty good. ( )
  Justjenniferreading | Apr 26, 2012 |
3 STARS
Not my type a book that I like to read. Too much sex,drugs and music.
Their are a lot of different characters in the story some I like others wonder what are they thinking.
Colin is in his second year of collage and first week he meets Jasmine and falls for her. She is the fourth person Colin has sex with.
His roommate always has girls and money. Colin walks into his dorm and finds Jasmin having sex with his friend Carl.
strong language. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Jan 21, 2012 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Bert Murray's book Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Bert Murray is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible