Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Touch of Power

by Maria V. Snyder

5719017,406 (4.03)17

Avry of Kazan has been on the run for three years, running for her life, she's being hunted because she's a Healer. Healers were blamed for a devastating plague that killed many and Healers are seen as unnatural by some. Healing anyone doesn't get you their undying devotion, it's gets you killed, so Avry has to be careful about healing anyone in fear of not being turned in afterwards. Avery keeps to herself mostly and doesn't stay in one place too long and is always around dying people but Avry's weakness is children. She can't seem to walkaway from a dying child. When Avry gives in a heals a little girl her escape attempt wasn't so lucky this time, turned in by the child's' father, she is locked up and awaits hanging, Avry's luck turns, or does it when she is rescued by Kerrick of Alga.

Kerrick and his band of merry men doesn't seem to have a problem with Avry being a Healer and she starts to get comfortable with them, traveling treacherous grounds, where you can meet your death by the hands of mercenaries, man eating plants, or huge animal beasts to name a few. Things are looking up for Avry until she finds out the friend they rescued her to heal is none other than Prince Ryne of Ivdel Realm who she despises and blames for the death of her people.

I loved Avry, she wasn't the skilled badass fighter but she can definitely take care of herself. I like her quick wit and her stubbornness. Or is it determinedness? She was a spunky and adept character.

I like Kerrick enough, okay fine I really like him. I figured I would end up liking him from the beginning but I wondered how would he redeem himself from his typical Alpha Male charm. Kerrick and Avry's relationship didn't start on the best of terms and it kept getting worse but it was obvious she was getting under his skin, in good way.

Kerrick's merry men were the most lovable bunch of guys ever, and I loved seeing their friendship and respect for Avry grow. Belen and Flea are my faves but I love the others just as much.

I thoroughly enjoyed Touch of Power, I don't believe I've every read a book entirely based in a world of it's own, I've certainly read many books based in the "real" world but also takes place or(eventually) ends up in a another realm or world. Didn't know I would enjoy reading a high fantasy story as much as I enjoy watching them.

With a clever concept and superb world building, the story kept me enraptured and intrigued. Great storytelling with a lot of twists and turns. There is so much more that took place in the story, a lot of unexpected surprises. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
I would definitely recommend Touch of Power by Maria V Snyder to anyone, regardless of if they like fantasy genre or not. The story of a healer who has to take people's injuries into her own body has always been an intriguing and favorite concept of mine.The character were so well developed and likable. Plenty of plot twists that were unexpected (obviously if it's a plot twist) but made the story infinitely more interesting. Avry is such a strong character and I love her the author makes it clear how independent she has had to be without relying on anyone but herself. If you're looking for a good book to read, look no further!!! ( )
  bookharpy | Apr 19, 2016 |
I'm off to sulk for a couple of hours because I can't believe I just finished this book. If only 'Touch of Power' didn't have to end.

My favourite sentence from touch of power 'did I hear some girlie screams in there?'

I'm going to be dreaming of these people (characters) for the next few nights. ( )
  DaffiMere | Apr 2, 2016 |
I couldn't put this book down, from the first page I was sweept into this swirling world of magic. Fantastic characters, i fell for all of them. The author is so gifted she even had me seeing the good in the "evil' ones. Amazing action, intrique, fantasy and a perfect amount of romance.

A young women, Avry survives the horrible plague that killed two thirds of the worlds population, only to be hunted for her gift. She is a healer, she can heal with just a touch. The rumors say that her kinds started the plauge. The powerful put a price on all healers heads. She must stay unnoticed to survive. That proves to be difficult when she is hunted by Kerrick a rough handsome man that needs her to heal his prince. He risks everything to save her, but for what ending ? if she does what he wants she will die. She travels through dangerous lands with his band of men where things don't go very well. The darkness that demands her attention just keeps after her, and she can't resist. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I usually like Snyder's books but this one didn't really appeal. I found the plot slow in places, especially once Avry reached Tohon's palace and I kept looking to see how many pages I had left (never a good sign). Avry was okay as a protagonist but I found her impetuous and stubborn nature annoying. I also didn't like Kerrick, the male 'hero' of the story. He was quite a bully and the fact that he slapped Avry across the face and then tied her to a tree at night really had my hackles up. The two characters I loved were Belen and Flea. Their humour and loyalty were admirable and made the story enjoyable when they were in it. Another thing that annoyed me about this book was the use of modernisms. For example, mercs instead of mercenaries and guys rather than men. Overall, very disappointing! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
The author of the Study (Poison Study; Magic Study; Fire Study) and Glass trilogies (Storm Glass; Sea Glass; Spy Glass) launches a new series, blending fantasy adventure, romance, and intrigue. Recommended for her many readers as well as fans of Ilona Andrews and Robin D. Owens.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....

Taken from Maria V. Snyder's Blog

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Abducted by a band of rogues whose leader values her gift, she must heal a plague-stricken prince--leader of a campaign against her people.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,810,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible