Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Touch of Power

by Maria V. Snyder

Egalley thanks to Harlequin
Ever since stumbling upon Poison Study years ago I've remained a big fan of Maria V. Snyder's writing style.

Touch of Power is no exception, despite some of its drawbacks like modern language and a feeling you get like this book was written in a hurry and almost sloppily...

When you get over the language you'll enjoy it. I can almost guarantee that any fan of Kristin Cashore will like this book. It's easy, pretty straightforward and captivating throughout.

I can see Elena and Valek in Avry and Kendrick. Avry is pretty straight, good, kind and self-sacrificing. She ticks all the boxes as a courageous heroine.

Kendrick on the other hand has layers, he is much more interesting to get to know as a character. He starts of as a brute. In the beginning I disliked him immensely and through the whole book I just couldn't justify him slapping Avry when they first met. That just says that the man has a nasty temper, and it didn't go quite well with his transformation later on.

His actions, feelings and social status are very complicated. In addition, like Avry he is one of the magically touched and they can share power between them.

His team or shall I say, his band of miscreants, is absolutely wonderful. It's a pleasure to read their banter, feel their camaraderie and see the way they help Avry to become stronger during their journey.

The healing aspect has also a very intriguing angle. The only hint I can give you is that US cover is much more apt than generic UK one.

At last, one of the best thing in the book is that the villains have their own facets and not all of them evil. Most of them you can understand and some of them you even work with it or even slightly change.

So, if your a fan of YA fantasy genre, then this book is for you! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I love Ms. Snyder and every adult fantasy novel she has written. I was so excited to see a new series coming out from her I was giddy with anticipation. I read this book straight through in one sitting and I was not disappointed.

Like Ms. Snyder's other series we have both a kick ass hero and heroine. They both compliment each other perfectly and she is not afraid to torture the crap out of them as they go through their trials. I know there will be more books in this series and I although this book ended with an "ok for now" i need to know what happens next.

In the book the Prince isn't depicted as a very good character but I think I found myself falling in love with his through the pages as the main band of men fought to reach their goal. I want to see what he will do next, since he is at a disadvantage to his enemy.

I am dying to know what happens and will be waiting for the next book in this series eagerly. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Best indication of my review of this book--i am off to buy the next in series.

Excellent storytelling that grips you from the first page and never lets up. Vivid characters. Rich worldbuilding. Synopsis at this site accurate (although the "traversing...mountains" verbiage had me unwarrantedly concerned might degenerate into one of those books--you know, the ones where a band of intrepid stock characters endlessly wander about places on author's imagined map. Despite world recovering from plague, did not degenerate into formulaic dystopian type of world--an original, vibrant world system with realistic characters and politics).

Thoroughly enjoyed this book from an already favorite author. Regret putting off reading because I had formed the opinion it was just her entry into the Young Adult market.

Heroine (book told very well from first person narrative) too "real" to pigeonhole into categories like "kickass" or "compassionate" and (a lovely switch from too many of my recent reads) did not just drift along without trying to take control of her own life nor falling inexplicably for someone because "fated"--and neither omnipotent or mewling weak. Ending not a complete surprise; reader may not have known exactly how everything fit but you will pretty much know what will be involved. Enough left open that you know can be more in series without the cliffhanger non-ending that would force you to buy next book to get the story.

I would not classify this as YA genre (nothing too graphic or explicit that the age group could not read; but, this is not about teenagers or typical teenage angst stuff. The youngest main characters were in their twenties) although author/publisher markets as such. Strictly "fantasy" genre for me; but, oddly I read as a book club (well, goodreads group) bingo game choice as being "ya paranormal" genre/shelf. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
I am a huge fan of Maria V. Snyder. She’s one of my favourite authors. So, I was really excited about this book, even though it’s in a separate world from where the Study series and the Glass series is set.
It felt like a different world too. In this book the Fifteen realms are still healing from a devastating plague that was believed to be caused by the healers, and Avry is the last of those healers who can hopefully save a prince from the plague.
There were things that felt similar to previous books I’ve read by Snyder. The magic set up was similar, except in this world magic was set up into basic elements and magicians were a much rarer thing to come across (by the time of the book there was only one of each form left supposedly). But obviously this was in an entirely different setting and so most things were very different.
However, the focus was on the group 75% of the book, so that was the forefront of the story. Which is great because that was easily my favourite part. Honestly, the characters in these books. They are all so great. I also really really liked how she handled the set up of having a group of guys to one captive girl. I could see that as being done in all sorts of wrong ways, but the way it was handled and how Avry integrated herself into the group and the family was done so well. I loved all of the guys in the group, especially Flea and Quain. All the little interactions and banter between the guys was just perfect.
Also Kerrick. Ok. I mean, during the Glass series I wasn’t really fond of any of the romantic interests (mostly because I spent a lot of time hoping for another Valek appearance. Ok. I admit it.) But Kerrick was great. The cold hearted forest mage. I also appreciate that everything was handled in a way that was decidedly not Stockholm syndrome-esque (even though I don’t …. Really have a problem with those kinds of relationships… still the progression of Avry and Kerrick’s relationship was the best).
And, ok, because I haven’t fangirled over a villain in a while and I usually promise it, I really loved Tohon. He was a COMPLETE psychopath. Totally crazy. I did like him a lot.
But, yes, as usual, I wish more YA authors would learn from how Snyder writes in first person. Because she does it right. Avry didn’t feel like anyone else but Avry. She was never boring, I never felt like her character was forced. She was immersed in the story so her character came through. And she was a good character. Avry is a great lead. She’s strong and stubborn and basically fantastic.
The story had great pacing considering a great deal of their time was spent trekking through the forest or in caves. It was never boring and I actually did a pretty bad job of predicting the plot (about halfway through I gave up trying to actually predict anything, because I didn’t really see anything in the end coming)
Basically, though, this story was fantastic. Proving once again why Snyder is one of my favourite authors. She creates such real fantasy with very real characters and this book was no exception. This one was at the same level of greatness for me as the Study series. I am really looking forward to the next book. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars

Touch of Power is the first book in the new Healer series by Maria V. Snyder.

Avry of Kazan is a healer. She can cure all kind of illness and injuries just by touching a person, after touching the ailing person she absorbs the illness/injure into herself. Her body regenerate really fast, healing in couple of hours of days depending of how ill the person she cured was.
Instead of being appreciated, healers has been persecuted for the last three years. They are blamed for causing the plague that have killed thousands of people in the Fifteen Realms.
Avry has been on the run even since, staying in little towns for couple of months or weeks at a time. She has tried to keep a low profile but when a kid gets ill it’s almost impossible for her not to heal him/her. Every time after healing a kid she must move to avoid being caught. After healing a fatally ill small girl she is too sick to leave town, she decides to stay the night to recover and it’s planing to leave in the morning but early next day she is apprehended. The father of the child she healed reported her to the autorities. She has accepted her fate, she’s tired of running and hiding and is ready to be executed. Things change when she is rescued by a group of men who has been looking for a healer for over two years.
The leader of the group is Kerrick of Alba. He wants Avry to heal his friend, Prince Ryne who suffers from the plague and has been kept in a stasis state for the last two years while Kerrick has been looking for a healer. Now he has found Avry, the last healer alive. But there is a problem, Avry doesn’t want to heal Prince Ryne because not only he was the one who started the rumor that the healers were responsible for the plague but also he has been accused of committing heinous crimes. Kerrick will have to convince Avry to heal Prince Ryne by whatever means before it’s too late.
There is a long way to go from the place Kerrick found Avry to the place the body of Price Ryne is kept, many weeks or even months of difficult travel awaits them, it’s not only that winter is coming but thanks to the bounty on Avry’s head bands of mercenaries are following their tracks.

This is one of those books that from page one will transport you to another place, in this case is to the magical place Mrs. Snyder has created. A fantastical and magical world with a medieval touch, where the good guys are really good, the bad guys are not just bad but creepy in a sense that will give the chills, a place where even the surroundings become characters in its own sense.

One of the things I liked the most about this book were its characters, they are all different but easy to connect with and understand.
I loved how Avry goes from being tired with her life and not caring if she lives of dies to loving being alive again. She found pleasure on living again thanks to finding friendship and camaraderie with other characters as Belen, Vinn, Quain and Flea.

On the beginning I didn't like Kerrick much but after couple of pages I understood his behavior, that doesn’t mean I accept the things he did but I know he was trying to do what he thought was best. After he realized his mistake he redeemed himself. It takes a strong man to accepts his mistakes and do something about it.

The secondary characters were perfect, they all made the story a more interesting one. Vinn and Quain were fun an entertaining, Flea was a sweetheart, but my favorite was without a doubt Belen or as Avry named him, Poppa Bear, what a perfect nickname for such a caring man.

As I said before the evil guys were creepy. The main focus was on King Tohon, he’s a strong magician, who’s trying to united all the realms. His intentions may have a good base but his tactics are just beyond twisted and evil. Another character that could be include in the villain category is Queen Estrid, she rules another realm and as Tohon she is trying to unite more realms but in her case she’s forcing them to follow her extremist religious beliefs. We don’t see much of her in this book but I’m pretty sure she’s going to be a headache in books to come.

Touch of Power was a really nice surprise. I had heard many good things about Maria V. Snyder’s books but I really wasn’t expecting to like this book as much as I did. I recommend this book to fantasy and YA lovers.
I’m looking forward to read the next installment of this series Scent of Magic. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
The author of the Study (Poison Study; Magic Study; Fire Study) and Glass trilogies (Storm Glass; Sea Glass; Spy Glass) launches a new series, blending fantasy adventure, romance, and intrigue. Recommended for her many readers as well as fans of Ilona Andrews and Robin D. Owens.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....

Taken from Maria V. Snyder's Blog

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Abducted by a band of rogues whose leader values her gift, she must heal a plague-stricken prince--leader of a campaign against her people.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible