Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Touch of Power

by Maria V. Snyder

Recently added bykellifrobinson, chessakat, private library, bell96, aoifekerr, TheYodamom, GanneC, StephLaymon

I couldn't put this book down, from the first page I was sweept into this swirling world of magic. Fantastic characters, i fell for all of them. The author is so gifted she even had me seeing the good in the "evil' ones. Amazing action, intrique, fantasy and a perfect amount of romance.

A young women, Avry survives the horrible plague that killed two thirds of the worlds population, only to be hunted for her gift. She is a healer, she can heal with just a touch. The rumors say that her kinds started the plauge. The powerful put a price on all healers heads. She must stay unnoticed to survive. That proves to be difficult when she is hunted by Kerrick a rough handsome man that needs her to heal his prince. He risks everything to save her, but for what ending ? if she does what he wants she will die. She travels through dangerous lands with his band of men where things don't go very well. The darkness that demands her attention just keeps after her, and she can't resist. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I usually like Snyder's books but this one didn't really appeal. I found the plot slow in places, especially once Avry reached Tohon's palace and I kept looking to see how many pages I had left (never a good sign). Avry was okay as a protagonist but I found her impetuous and stubborn nature annoying. I also didn't like Kerrick, the male 'hero' of the story. He was quite a bully and the fact that he slapped Avry across the face and then tied her to a tree at night really had my hackles up. The two characters I loved were Belen and Flea. Their humour and loyalty were admirable and made the story enjoyable when they were in it. Another thing that annoyed me about this book was the use of modernisms. For example, mercs instead of mercenaries and guys rather than men. Overall, very disappointing! ( )
Egalley thanks to Harlequin
Ever since stumbling upon Poison Study years ago I've remained a big fan of Maria V. Snyder's writing style.

Touch of Power is no exception, despite some of its drawbacks like modern language and a feeling you get like this book was written in a hurry and almost sloppily...

When you get over the language you'll enjoy it. I can almost guarantee that any fan of Kristin Cashore will like this book. It's easy, pretty straightforward and captivating throughout.

I can see Elena and Valek in Avry and Kendrick. Avry is pretty straight, good, kind and self-sacrificing. She ticks all the boxes as a courageous heroine.

Kendrick on the other hand has layers, he is much more interesting to get to know as a character. He starts of as a brute. In the beginning I disliked him immensely and through the whole book I just couldn't justify him slapping Avry when they first met. That just says that the man has a nasty temper, and it didn't go quite well with his transformation later on.

His actions, feelings and social status are very complicated. In addition, like Avry he is one of the magically touched and they can share power between them.

His team or shall I say, his band of miscreants, is absolutely wonderful. It's a pleasure to read their banter, feel their camaraderie and see the way they help Avry to become stronger during their journey.

The healing aspect has also a very intriguing angle. The only hint I can give you is that US cover is much more apt than generic UK one.

At last, one of the best thing in the book is that the villains have their own facets and not all of them evil. Most of them you can understand and some of them you even work with it or even slightly change.

So, if your a fan of YA fantasy genre, then this book is for you! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
The author of the Study (Poison Study; Magic Study; Fire Study) and Glass trilogies (Storm Glass; Sea Glass; Spy Glass) launches a new series, blending fantasy adventure, romance, and intrigue. Recommended for her many readers as well as fans of Ilona Andrews and Robin D. Owens.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....

Taken from Maria V. Snyder's Blog

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Abducted by a band of rogues whose leader values her gift, she must heal a plague-stricken prince--leader of a campaign against her people.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,177,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible