Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Touch of Power

by Maria V. Snyder

2012 (9) 2013 (3) 21st century (3) adult (3) adventure (9) ARC (3) ebook (13) fantasy (89) favorites (3) fiction (17) first in series (3) healers (14) high fantasy (10) Kindle (8) library (6) magic (22) maria v. snyder (5) owned (3) paranormal (4) plague (8) read (10) read in 2011 (3) read in 2012 (10) read in 2013 (3) romance (23) series (8) to-read (45) wishlist (4) YA (11) young adult (23)

As soon as I started Touch of Power, I remembered why I love Maria V. Snyder’s writing so much. It’s precisely what I want when I pick up a YA book. She’s clearly mastered the art of showing instead of telling. Information about the fascinating world she’s created is seamlessly integrated into the events of the book. Although the pace felt slow to me at the beginning, I eventually got into the story and started tearing through the pages.

Like every YA book I’ve read lately, this book does involve a romance. Fortunately, it adds to the plot without overshadowing it. Although there’s a little overlap between romance and action, it never distracted the characters from what needed to be done. Avry’s feelings grew in a very believable way and I ended up quite impressed with how the romance was handled in this one. I liked the book more and more as I went and by the time I finished, I couldn’t wait to pick up the next book in the series.

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
Maria is another favorite of mine, I adore her Study series, and I really enjoyed her Glass series as well. I have been looking forward to reading this book for awhile and I wasn’t disappointed. Despite seeing similarities in the characters (Avry reminds me A LOT of Yelena, albeit softer, Belen of Janco, teaching her how to fight and being the large protector, and Flea reminded me of Fisk, an orphan she takes under her wing) I still really enjoyed the story, and ate it up as fast as I could. Now I’m just itching to read the second book but it doesn’t come out for a few more months. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Touch of Power First of all, let me say that I love Maria V. Snyder's exceptional use of details and wonderful world building. I am such a huge fan of her Study series and I was thrilled to read and review the first book of her new "Healer" series. Touch of Power features a richly detailed high fantasy world which has been decimated by plague and the blame has been placed on the shoulders of the Healers who are routinely hunted and killed. Avry, a young healer, has been on the run for what seems like ages. Forced to move from town to town, never setting down roots, and never letting anyone get too close. When Avry makes the mistake of healing a sick child, she finds herself arrested and sentenced to die. The night before her scheduled date with the guillotine, a rag tag group of rescuers break her out, saving her life only to try to force her to heal their friend, a potential political rival to the powers that be. With the world in such a state of political upheaval, it seems that everyone who can gather an army can proclaim themselves a ruler. Chaos and lawlessness is the rule of the day, and Avry believes that the man they wish her to heal is the main cause of all of the problems. While I found the pacing to be sometimes tediously slow, I thoroughly enjoyed many of the details, such as the man eating Death-lilies. I wouldn't like to stumble upon one of them in a forest!! The many different types of magic were also fascinating. For some reason, I found the characterization in Touch of Power to be the weakest of all of Snyder's books. However, this could simply be because of all of the world building and plot development necessary to set up this series. I sometimes find this to be the case with the first book in a high fantasy series. There are so many details that need to be covered, world, plot, magic systems, and other minutia, that the characters sometimes fall flat. With that being said, I still LIKED Touch of Power, it simply wasn't one of my favorites. I will absolutely read the next in this series because I love Maria V. Snyder's writing and I'm sure this series will only get better! I loved that Touch of Power did not end on a cliffhanger. This story could stand on its own, leaving those details left unknown up to the readers' imagination. I can't wait to see where the author takes this story in the next installment in the series. I would recommend this to fans of Maria V. Snyder and those who enjoy YA high fantasy. ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
I hadn't read any of Maria V. Snyder's books prior to this one, but if they're all as captivating and hypnotizing as Touch of Power, then I'm definitely going to fix this mistake.

That is to say, I LOVED THIS BOOK!

It was the type of high fantasy that gives you wings and makes you fly. Kind of like Red Bull.

The story was written, clearly, by a talented author. A pro no less. I enjoyed the storytelling style very much. It was fluid and just perfect for a picky reader like me. The story itself was enchanting. Nothing was missing or misplaced, which means that the author spent a whole lot of time planning things to be just right. Also, something that I appreciated, was that Ms. Snyder didn't hesitate to injure or hurt or even sacrifice her characters for the sake of the story. This made it all sound so realistic, it felt like I was living alongside the characters.

The romance that developed was truly beautiful and most important - there was no instant love. It all happened over time, as the characters got to know each other. Which gets me to the characters themselves.

Usually, after I finish reading a book, I tend to forget the characters' names. I mean, it's only natural with all those books and chars out there. But these guys just stuck with me. I remember all their names, which is a compliment of itself!

-Avry, with her obsolete feelings of right and wrong; her passion to help even if that meant putting herself in danger; her quick wit and compassionate heart;

-Kerrick, with his determination to do what he thought was right without considering or caring about the feelings of others; his mega heart that can open up just when the right moment strikes;

-Belen, or Papa Bear, with his sheer strength, meek heart and wide grin

-the monkeys, Loren and Quinn, who always got in and out of trouble; who were quick and quiet, lethal and loyal;

-Flea, who was trusting and sometimes too naive for his own good, but I liked him nonetheless;

-even Tohon, the evil self-obsessed dude, who in his twisted mind thought was doing the world a favor. It's not always that the evil genius manages to crawl into my heart, but Tohon did, and I can say that I'm impressed!

I loved them all, which is why I couldn't wait any longer but went on ahead and read the next book in the series: Scent of Magic.

The Healer series, or Avry of Kazan as it's starting to get popular as, is one truly amazing series. It's full of action, love, friendship, sacrifice and quests. I'm positive that anyone would fall in love with it as much as I did! ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
The author of the Study (Poison Study; Magic Study; Fire Study) and Glass trilogies (Storm Glass; Sea Glass; Spy Glass) launches a new series, blending fantasy adventure, romance, and intrigue. Recommended for her many readers as well as fans of Ilona Andrews and Robin D. Owens.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....

Taken from Maria V. Snyder's Blog

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Abducted by a band of rogues whose leader values her gift, she must heal a plague-stricken prince--leader of a campaign against her people.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,236,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible