Touch of Power

Touch of Power

Series: Healer (1)

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Abducted by a band of rogues whose leader values her gift, she must heal a plague-stricken prince--leader of a campaign against her people.… (more)
Member:Chazzarang
Title:Touch of Power
Authors:
Info:Harlequin Enterprises (Australia) Pty Ltd, Edition: 2nd

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

2.75 STARS

First, I really liked the story, it was well grounded. I appreciated the vulnerability of certain characters , these are not almighty people who can do no wrong, especially Avery who is very confident, strong and independent (and a little too sacrificial for my liking) but still very entertaining with that lovely trio.

Btw, I deeply respect M.V. Snyder because of her phenomenal study series, I fell in love with it so hard that my teenage self day dreamed about those characters for daaays , so here I am, years later wanting to to rediscover that magical/suspenseful spark that I only find in a M.V.S book...

However, I was quite confused with writing/dialogue style, this is clearly a world built in a fantasy-ish world were people wear and live like medieval times yet these "peasants,princes and kings" talk and act like the they're in the 21 century... What?!!! xD I was really thrown off by that and it bothered me like crazy...

Yet not only that, but Kerrick (still not fully redeemed in my opinion) who was a huge let down for a main main love interest *face palm* infuriated me Ugghh!!

-Be warned: Incomimg rant -

may I say that he was for the most part the most boring character that I‘ve ever read about. Seriously, he had minus zero personality. Yes, a meaningless character that just follows orders and adore his master blindly like a dog looking for affection…And surprisingly does nothing to convince me of their so important cause *hands in the air in exasperation*
Not to mention the unnecessary mean, violent and totally stupid streak he had for Avery during half of the book for simply refusing a (originally was a request) “demand” he made on behalf a partially dead man ….. really that person need counseling

Leila.Khouane | May 24, 2020 |
Cross posted from personal blog rabidgummibear.wordpress.com
Before Touch of Power I had never heard of Maria V Snyder and after reading it I can say I’m already a fan and can’t wait to dive into her other books. Touch of Power was a fast paced and enthralling book.

We start by meeting Avry who has been on the run for 3 years as one of the last remaining healers. The healers were blamed for the plague forcing them all into hiding though most didn’t even make it that far before people started killing them. The world around Avry has been slowly destroyed by the plague, but soon she is kidnapped by a group of guys trying to help their Prince who is stuck in stasis and dying of the plague.

Before I am tempted tell you the entire plot line I’m going to share what I loved about this book. When I say it was fast paced i literally mean it seemed like something new was happening every couple pages. It felt as though there was never a spot of “well this boring, but it gets me to the next good part.” The world building was built into the story telling really nicely as well as far as explaining the magic and what happened to the world goes. I will say that the romance in this is rather light and this book revolves mostly around world building and creating the plot for the next book. Don’t take that as a bad thing though because the narrative in this book is great and really well done.

Overall 4/5 Stars. I really think this is a great book for anyone who wants to read an engaging story. Definitely well worth the cash. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Maria V. Snyder has done it again. I got wrapped up in this world and want more! I love her writing. She just creates characters you can't help but love and the worlds are just so interesting. I really enjoyed the magic system and how even magic users don't really know all the mysteries of their magic. It was really cool learning about it and experiencing the different kinds of mages.

I enjoyed this new world we are introduced to. It was a fresh setting and I liked how the world building was done. There were explanations as to what was happening and why people didn't like healers.

Synder just has this knack of sucking me into her worlds and making me care about her characters and what happens to them. This book was fast paced, never boring, and definitely fun. I am very excited to keep reading :) ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
I am a huge fan of Maria V. Snyder. She’s one of my favourite authors. So, I was really excited about this book, even though it’s in a separate world from where the Study series and the Glass series is set.
It felt like a different world too. In this book the Fifteen realms are still healing from a devastating plague that was believed to be caused by the healers, and Avry is the last of those healers who can hopefully save a prince from the plague.
There were things that felt similar to previous books I’ve read by Snyder. The magic set up was similar, except in this world magic was set up into basic elements and magicians were a much rarer thing to come across (by the time of the book there was only one of each form left supposedly). But obviously this was in an entirely different setting and so most things were very different.
However, the focus was on the group 75% of the book, so that was the forefront of the story. Which is great because that was easily my favourite part. Honestly, the characters in these books. They are all so great. I also really really liked how she handled the set up of having a group of guys to one captive girl. I could see that as being done in all sorts of wrong ways, but the way it was handled and how Avry integrated herself into the group and the family was done so well. I loved all of the guys in the group, especially Flea and Quain. All the little interactions and banter between the guys was just perfect.
Also Kerrick. Ok. I mean, during the Glass series I wasn’t really fond of any of the romantic interests (mostly because I spent a lot of time hoping for another Valek appearance. Ok. I admit it.) But Kerrick was great. The cold hearted forest mage. I also appreciate that everything was handled in a way that was decidedly not Stockholm syndrome-esque (even though I don’t …. Really have a problem with those kinds of relationships… still the progression of Avry and Kerrick’s relationship was the best).
And, ok, because I haven’t fangirled over a villain in a while and I usually promise it, I really loved Tohon. He was a COMPLETE psychopath. Totally crazy. I did like him a lot.
But, yes, as usual, I wish more YA authors would learn from how Snyder writes in first person. Because she does it right. Avry didn’t feel like anyone else but Avry. She was never boring, I never felt like her character was forced. She was immersed in the story so her character came through. And she was a good character. Avry is a great lead. She’s strong and stubborn and basically fantastic.
The story had great pacing considering a great deal of their time was spent trekking through the forest or in caves. It was never boring and I actually did a pretty bad job of predicting the plot (about halfway through I gave up trying to actually predict anything, because I didn’t really see anything in the end coming)
Basically, though, this story was fantastic. Proving once again why Snyder is one of my favourite authors. She creates such real fantasy with very real characters and this book was no exception. This one was at the same level of greatness for me as the Study series. I am really looking forward to the next book. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
There is an element of "More Of The Same" to this series by Maria Snyder. I loved her Poison Study series, so it was really hard for me to ignore the multitude of similarities. Tough, gutsy girl with s rare magical ability has had some seriously hard knocks in life. She is surrounded by people who openly mistrust or dislike her, and occasionally try to kill her. She finds a band of merry men that banter a lot and give each other nicknames. They teach her useful skills while she also impresses them with her smart gutsiness. The hot leader of said band is enigmatically ambivalent of his feelings towards her until...well, he's not. If this does not sound like Yelena, Ari, Janco and Valek, I don't know what does. And in that sense, Avry, Belen, Loren, Quain, Flea and Kerrick are the same.

Still, Ms Snyder excels - once again - at building a fantastic world filled with mysticism and realism all at the same time. I love how grounded in every day things the magical applications of the world are, which makes it all the more real. The conflicts within this series, as with the last one, is fascinating, because its all about politics and the people who drive those politics. I loved getting to learn about the relationships between the rulers of the fifteen realms - Tohon and his "rotting mind" was vividly starkly drawn. I loved hearing about the restructuring of society after something rather post-apocalyptic, and I was interested to know more and more about the Lilies and now they connected to Avry's magic.

So while there were elements that were very similar to previous arcs, these elements of the story - politics and power - were just as engaging. Give it a try - but be aware that its not going to change your life in any way. ( )
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |
The author of the Study (Poison Study; Magic Study; Fire Study) and Glass trilogies (Storm Glass; Sea Glass; Spy Glass) launches a new series, blending fantasy adventure, romance, and intrigue. Recommended for her many readers as well as fans of Ilona Andrews and Robin D. Owens.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Maria V. Snyderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zackman, GabraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....

Taken from Maria V. Snyder's Blog

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,796,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible