The Taker by Alma Katsu

The Taker

by Alma Katsu

In the tiny town of St. Andrew, Maine, on a freezing wintry night, Dr. Luke Findley is expecting a quiet evening of frostbite and the occasional domestic dispute - just your typical midnight shift at Aroostook County Hospital. That's until Lanore McIlvrae - Lanny - walks into his Emergency Room, and completely changes his life forever. Lanny is unlike any woman Luke has ever met - a mysterious woman with a past and plenty of dark secrets. He is inexplicably drawn to her, sure that they have met somewhere before...despite the fact that she is a murder suspect and currently in police custody; under armed escort.

A stranger and apparently new to town, Lanny is accused of a bizarre crime: allegedly killing a man and leaving his body in the Great North Woods. Lanny insists that while she committed the killing, the man had wanted to die. Always a practical man - a man of science - Dr. Luke Findley witnesses something which he can't explain - a miraculous impossibility that confounds him, and leaves him enthralled by this woman, whose very existence defies all reason. And so, as Lanny begins to tell her story - a tale of enduring love and consummate betrayal that transcends time and mortality, Luke Findley finds himself utterly captivated.

Her impassioned account begins at the turn of the nineteenth century in the same small town of St. Andrew, Maine, at the time that it was a Puritan settlement. As a child, Lanny finds the love of her life in Jonathan St. Andrew, the privileged son of the town's founder. She promises herself that she will do absolutely anything to be with him forever. But the price she pays is too steep - an immortal bond that chains her to a terrible fate for all eternity. Now, two centuries later, the key to her healing and salvation lies in the hands of Dr. Luke Findley.

I must say that Mareena actually chose this book for me at the Library Book Sale that we went to in June of last year. While I would technically classify this book as horror, in my opinion, the story actually wasn't all that horrific - creepy or eerie perhaps, but not scary. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have chosen this book to read for myself - as this is not my usual choice in horror - although I still thought it was very well written and an interesting story nevertheless.

I was certainly fascinated by this particular story; some aspects of the plot which seemed utterly implausible to me, actually made perfect sense within the story. In my opinion, The Taker by Alma Katsu was just the slightest bit too long, although I still enjoyed it very much. I give this book an A! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Sep 8, 2014 |
I liked how atmospheric this was- handling the mood and description of several historical periods very well. I know this is going to turn into a popular success- how could it not? The span of history for the immortal protagonist, has that sexy whiff of vampire.
What's actually going on here does point to some vampire cliches- decadence and heightened senses, but the mythology underpinning it, and the particulars, are Katsu's own innovations. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
PUBLISHERS WEEKLY review: "Katsu shows considerable skill in rendering a world where Adair's unspeakable evilness and Lanny's wild passion make the supernatural seem possible. The result is a novel full of surprises and a powerful evocation of the dark side of romantic love."
added by AlmaK | editPUBLISHERS WEEKLY (Jul 4, 2011)

BOOKLIST review (starred): "Katsu’s imaginative, wholly original debut is the story of Lanore McIlvrae, a young woman who is found in the Maine woods claiming she’s killed a man. When the police bring her to Dr. Luke Findley, she implores him to help her, claiming that she’s immortal and offering him proof. Lanore convinces him to help her escape police custody and begins to tell Luke her story. Raised in the Puritan community in St. Andrew, Maine, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, Lanore is just a girl when she falls in love with the preternaturally beautiful Jonathan St. Andrew. Lanore and Jonathan become friends, but his feelings never match hers. The two have an affair in their teens, and Lanore winds up pregnant. Knowing Jonathan’s family won’t allow him to marry her, Lanore’s parents send her away to Boston to have the child. There she falls under the sway of a powerful man, who gives her an unexpected gift and sets in motion the chain of events that will lead her to take a life almost two centuries later. Readers won’t be able to tear their eyes away from Katsu’s mesmerizing tale."

added by AlmaK | editBOOKLIST, Kristine Huntley (Jun 1, 2011)

"More than a wee bit dark and super sexy, this will impress all Twi-hards who like their heroes to have graduated high school."
added by AlmaK | editCosmopolitan UK, Debby McQuoid (Apr 14, 2011)

"Spookily captivating!"
added by AlmaK | editMarie Claire UK, Eithne Farry (Apr 4, 2011)

Goddamned freezing cold.

Drawn to a woman who reveals herself to be immortal, Luke, a young doctor, hears the story of how she was abandoned by a lover 200 years earlier and abducted by a centuries-old Hungarian count who granted her eternal life.

Alma Katsu is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,778,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible