The Taker by Alma Katsu

The Taker

by Alma Katsu

Recently added byuiflibrary, MaureenCean, LeahDee, SabinaE, private library, sojo817, Rose.Wallin, kristi_test_a

The story itself intrigued me like few have lately. In fact, it's been a long, long time since I've read and read and read until my eyes burned with fatigue, like they did last night as I struggled to finish, to find out what was going to happen. (I couldn't. Had to shut the book and finish it first thing this morning.) I'm hooked and have the next book (THE RECKONING) in my TBR pile already.

Ms. Katsu's phrasing is elegant and efficient at the same time, each page rich with imagery and emotion. I wanted to get out my highlighter and mark whole sections to revisit days from now, to try to emulate in my own writing. The only thing that tempered my enjoyment of the story was its overall sadness, so I'm hoping the next two books will bring the story to a happier, or more hopeful conclusion.

Wonderful piece of fiction. ( )
  LeahDee | Jan 24, 2016 |
Compelling (creepy) story, beautifully written. I've have the sequel in my wish list. ( )
  LeahDee | Jan 24, 2016 |
Inesperadamente entretenido . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
paranormal 'Shades of Grey' plus really bad narrative voice equals Ugh! ( )
  revslick | Apr 14, 2015 |
This was terrible. ( )
  Nazgullie | Oct 13, 2014 |
PUBLISHERS WEEKLY review: "Katsu shows considerable skill in rendering a world where Adair's unspeakable evilness and Lanny's wild passion make the supernatural seem possible. The result is a novel full of surprises and a powerful evocation of the dark side of romantic love."
added by AlmaK | editPUBLISHERS WEEKLY (Jul 4, 2011)

BOOKLIST review (starred): "Katsu’s imaginative, wholly original debut is the story of Lanore McIlvrae, a young woman who is found in the Maine woods claiming she’s killed a man. When the police bring her to Dr. Luke Findley, she implores him to help her, claiming that she’s immortal and offering him proof. Lanore convinces him to help her escape police custody and begins to tell Luke her story. Raised in the Puritan community in St. Andrew, Maine, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, Lanore is just a girl when she falls in love with the preternaturally beautiful Jonathan St. Andrew. Lanore and Jonathan become friends, but his feelings never match hers. The two have an affair in their teens, and Lanore winds up pregnant. Knowing Jonathan’s family won’t allow him to marry her, Lanore’s parents send her away to Boston to have the child. There she falls under the sway of a powerful man, who gives her an unexpected gift and sets in motion the chain of events that will lead her to take a life almost two centuries later. Readers won’t be able to tear their eyes away from Katsu’s mesmerizing tale."

added by AlmaK | editBOOKLIST, Kristine Huntley (Jun 1, 2011)

"More than a wee bit dark and super sexy, this will impress all Twi-hards who like their heroes to have graduated high school."
added by AlmaK | editCosmopolitan UK, Debby McQuoid (Apr 14, 2011)

"Spookily captivating!"
added by AlmaK | editMarie Claire UK, Eithne Farry (Apr 4, 2011)

Goddamned freezing cold.

Drawn to a woman who reveals herself to be immortal, Luke, a young doctor, hears the story of how she was abandoned by a lover 200 years earlier and abducted by a centuries-old Hungarian count who granted her eternal life.

Alma Katsu is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,083,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible