The Taker 01 - The Taker by Alma Katsu

The Taker 01 - The Taker (edition 2011)

by Alma Katsu

Collections:Read but unowned, 2013
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Paranormal Romance

The Taker: Book One of the Taker Trilogy by Alma Katsu

This novel is not for the faint of heart. The Taker is the first in a trilogy by Alma Katsu.

Well written, well researched, descriptive and a little frightening, Alma tells the story of Lanny, a young girl from the 1800s, who is in love with the town founder’s handsome son Jonathan, and what she does to keep him.

Luke - a present day doctor from the town that Lanny once grew up in - plays the role of the listener, and I’d venture to say that he’s inconsequential to the story; though I’m sure in the remainder of the trilogy he will become important.

I was not a fan of Lanny, she was obsessed with Jonathan - who has very few redeeming qualities, other than his face - and mislabels her feelings for him as love. Her character seemed a bit creepy and self-serving. Her world resolves around Jonathan - who was promiscuous and hardly courageous - and she would do just about anything to have him. I’m not entirely sure what anyone in the town saw in him, other than his good looks.

Adair, the villan of the story, is quite intriguing. Upon meeting him, the story takes a turn for the disturbing. For fear of giving away spoilers, I wouldn’t delve into the mystery around Adair, however, reading his storyline was probably the most engrossing part of the novel for me.

The thing that irked me the most was the improper use of love and sex among the characters. Though I believe this is on purpose, obsession was labeled as love and sex was used as a terrible weapon. It was a disturbing theme that ran though the entire story and not quite my cup of tea.

I think the mystery of the book and Lanny’s quick thinking will appeal to a number of readers. The story has a strong conclusion, while still leaving it open for future books. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
I couldn't put this book down. It was absolutely stunning and surpassed any and all of my expectations.

My favourite part about this entire novel is the narrative voice. I think Alma Katsu could write 300 pages about watching paint dry and it would still mesmerize me. The story line alone was fantastic, but when told the way it was, it easily took The Taker to the top of my recommendation list.

Narrative aside, I did love the plot as well. The cover copy gives you an inclination of what the story could be about, but I was still absolutely surprised ever time I turned the page. I finished the book satisfied, but I still want more at the same time! I want to see where the story goes and how the characters develop.

I would highly recommend The Taker to anyone. But I would suggest having a solid chunk of time set aside to read it, as it's very unlikely you will be able to put it down. ( )
  keyboardscoffee | May 30, 2016 |
[Saturday, ‎June ‎30, ‎2012] I got this book a few months ago, and this Thursday I got an autographed bookmark from the author! I feel so happy... It feels great to add it to my collection.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I have a confession. I finished The Taker a month ago; yet, when I went to write this review just a week ago, I did not remember anything about this book until I read the synopsis again. Now that I remember the story, I know I really enjoyed it. The story is dark and disturbing. It covers such themes as forgiveness, revenge, and guilt. There is no extreme cliffhanger to anger readers but enough unanswered questions and potential red herrings to draw readers to the rest of the series. Still, I could not remember a single thing without the synopsis right in front of me.

I do remember finding Luke too vanilla and completely undeveloped. Lanny is a manipulative little bitch, which I like, but she passes herself off as an innocent ingenue, which I detest. It is the person responsible for Lanny’s immortality that is my favorite character, and someone I hope to see more often in the sequel. The darkness of the human mind is always a fascinating study, and his behavior is so depraved and extreme that there is so much fodder for that study. His rationale for his behavior, his origins – all of it are still unknown at the end of The Taker, which should provide plenty of opportunity for more exploration of his development.

Still, I cannot remember his name without searching for it online or opening my copy of the book and finding it. The fact that the story completely disappeared from my memory in a few weeks is bothersome because I know I tore through the novel. I can only conclude that The Taker is one of those novels that is a fast and entertaining read but one that has no lasting power, unfortunately.
  jmchshannon | Mar 8, 2016 |
I don't know how to rate this book. The characters are intriguing - some of them truly evil, but many are victims and almost all have redeeming qualities. The story shifts between today and the early 1800s. It tells the story of obsessive love, power, selfishness, and redemption. It was a difficult book to put down. There were several plot twists which I didn't expect. It is also a highly sexual story. Most of the sex scenes are not written in detail, but I certainly knew what was happening - it was not just traditional sex or consenting sex. Sex was an integral part of the character's lives, but if you don't like books with a fair bit of sexual activity - this is not the book for you. There are several unanswered questions at the end - as was expected - since this is part one of a trilogy. ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
PUBLISHERS WEEKLY review: "Katsu shows considerable skill in rendering a world where Adair's unspeakable evilness and Lanny's wild passion make the supernatural seem possible. The result is a novel full of surprises and a powerful evocation of the dark side of romantic love."
added by AlmaK | editPUBLISHERS WEEKLY (Jul 4, 2011)

BOOKLIST review (starred): "Katsu’s imaginative, wholly original debut is the story of Lanore McIlvrae, a young woman who is found in the Maine woods claiming she’s killed a man. When the police bring her to Dr. Luke Findley, she implores him to help her, claiming that she’s immortal and offering him proof. Lanore convinces him to help her escape police custody and begins to tell Luke her story. Raised in the Puritan community in St. Andrew, Maine, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, Lanore is just a girl when she falls in love with the preternaturally beautiful Jonathan St. Andrew. Lanore and Jonathan become friends, but his feelings never match hers. The two have an affair in their teens, and Lanore winds up pregnant. Knowing Jonathan’s family won’t allow him to marry her, Lanore’s parents send her away to Boston to have the child. There she falls under the sway of a powerful man, who gives her an unexpected gift and sets in motion the chain of events that will lead her to take a life almost two centuries later. Readers won’t be able to tear their eyes away from Katsu’s mesmerizing tale."

added by AlmaK | editBOOKLIST, Kristine Huntley (Jun 1, 2011)

"More than a wee bit dark and super sexy, this will impress all Twi-hards who like their heroes to have graduated high school."
added by AlmaK | editCosmopolitan UK, Debby McQuoid (Apr 14, 2011)

"Spookily captivating!"
added by AlmaK | editMarie Claire UK, Eithne Farry (Apr 4, 2011)

Goddamned freezing cold.

Drawn to a woman who reveals herself to be immortal, Luke, a young doctor, hears the story of how she was abandoned by a lover 200 years earlier and abducted by a centuries-old Hungarian count who granted her eternal life.

Alma Katsu is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,779,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible