The Soulkeepers by G. P. Ching

The Soulkeepers (edition 2011)

by G. P. Ching

220852,892 (3.42)1
Member:TheBooknerd
Title:The Soulkeepers
Authors:G. P. Ching
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Edition: 2, Paperback, 310 pages
Collections:Your library, eBooks, Read in 2012
Rating:***

The Soulkeepers by G. P. Ching

Pretty good book. I might tag this one young adult. I think the younger audience might be able to connect with some of the emotions that happen between the characters. Not saying I didn't feel the love/hate/crush situations but I have grown up a bit when it comes to puppy love. Otherwise I would give this a shot. It's paranormal and a fun read. The covers are beautiful.

selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I enjoyed parts of this story and other parts just yanked my chain. I enjoyed that there were horsemen with different powers and each had to be trained to come into their power by a Helper. That way we could grow with Jacob as he developed into the warrior he was to become.

There were some things in this book that I just couldn't wrap my head around. Land of Nod ... really? Isn't that something out of a Narnia book? I am dying, I see the light, I accept God, now I am almost omnipotent. Angels are like the servants of God, so humans are better off because they have a soul? Hmmmmmmm.

I will give a little slack to the author, as this is her first novel. Good idea, good story, good beginning. ( )
  AlaskanBookie | Sep 23, 2013 |
Jacob Lau is special. But he doesn't know it yet. He's uprooted from his home, his mother is missing, and he can't catch a break from anyone in this tiny little town. That's when he meets Malini. A beautiful young girl who makes him feel wonderful, protective and strong all at the same time. But then things start to get weird. First of all, Jake's anger issues have gotten him in trouble a time or two and now he has to be punished by being a slave to the crazy neighbor across the street, Dr. Silva. A fight between good and evil will ensue before the true reason why Jacob is on this Earth will be revealed.
Very good book. I will be looking forward to the next two in the series. ( )
  Wendy_Nettles | Jan 6, 2013 |
I actually found this book to be slow and lackluster, which is unfortunate because Jacob was a really great character. Sadly, there just wasn't enough to keep me interested, and I stopped reading about halfway through. I'm tempted to pick it back up someday since I've read several great reviews about the ending, but I won't be returning to this series anytime soon. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Nov 21, 2012 |
Going into The Soulkeepers, i wasn't to sure about what was going to be happening in the story. When I started reading, I was immediately hooked, and I was blown away by The Soulkeepers. It met and then flew past my expectations.

The story of The Soulkeepers was one that I would love to read again and again. It takes some common elements of paranormal books, and blends them into a novel that is unlike any I have ever read before. Jacob needs to find his mother, but the only way to do so is by becoming a Soulkeeper. A Soulkeeper is kind of like a person with some sort of awesome power or powers. I don't really wanna give away the surprise of Jacob's power and such, so I'll leave it up to you to read the book to find out! :) Anyways, the story is full of twists and turns. I had no clue who was who in the sense of who to think was evil or who to think was the good guy. My guesses kept changing and in the end, I was still wrong. The story is action packed and there was not a dull moment when reading it. It grabs you and keeps you hooked until the extremely EPIC ending. As I said before, I have never seen anything like this book, and it was amazing. It was definitely a refreshing read.

One of my favorite aspects of the book was the amazing cast of lovable characters. Every single one of them was developed and seemed real. Jacob definitely had his flaws, and that's what really made him seem real. Malini was great. She was definitely one of my favorite characters in The Soulkeepers. She was smart and sweet and I think she really was one of the things that helped Jacob grow as a character. The romance between Jacob and Malini was great, and it really made me feel for both of them when... things happened between them. Bad things. Then there was Doctor Silva. Oh my god. What do I even say. i can say that I loved her, I can say that I hated her, and I can say that i kinda wish she died at times. Mostly in the beginning though. I really don't know what to say about her without giving too much away. She was a great character, perfectly mysterious and very creepy. Jacob's family, while remaining pretty minor in the story, were very interesting. The relationships between them and Jacob, who they hadn't met until he was forced upon them, seemed strained as they would in real life. It was nice to see Jacob warm up to them throughout the story. My one complaint was that Jacob, being the main character, seemed to take a bit longer than the other characters to make me feel connected to him. With the other main characters, it was kinda like they were introduced and I automatically felt like I really knew them, but Jacob just took a little while longer.

G.P.'s writing was amazing. It was beautiful and fast paced and definitely will keep you hooked. Normally I don't like third person, but Ms. Ching did it very well. I think it really made the story work too, as we really needed to see it from other character's perspectives at times. It also really kept the story moving, with something constantly happening. She really made me love the character's and feel like I was there with them when I was reading, which was great.

Overall, I give it 4.5 stars. I recommend you all go check out The Soulkeepers. It will keep you up for hours at night and its definitely a story worth reading! ( )
  kreagsheehan | Oct 3, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,352,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible