The Soulkeepers by G. P. Ching

The Soulkeepers (edition 2011)

by G. P. Ching

Member:TheBooknerd
Title:The Soulkeepers
Authors:G. P. Ching
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Edition: 2, Paperback, 310 pages
Collections:Your library, eBooks, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Rating:***

The Soulkeepers by G. P. Ching

After a terrifying car accident in which his mother disappears, presumed dead, Jacob goes to live with his white aunt and uncle in the midwest. It's a hard transition for him, made harder by his classmates' racism and his own burgeoning magic powers. I would have liked this a lot more without the infodumps about magic, not least because the magic has an unexpectedly Christian basis. And this contains two of my least favorite aspects of Christianity: some people are born evil, and keeping people ignorant and then being angry when they make poor decisions based on their lack of knowledge. It seems unfair and counterproductive to lay down strange rules, provide no explanation for them, and then act angry when these (seemingly silly and inconsequential) rules get broken. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A little too Christian-bible-thumping for my personal taste, but the writing and story were good. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Not very interesting for very long. Everybody in the world hates this guy, and god-forbid he make a genuine effort to give them reason not to. Except for, that is, the weak girl he must protect. Sexuality is used as a weapon, thus those wielding it are not to be trusted. And religion... they walk the line most of the time in this book, but give a little push toward the end. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
G.P.Ching is a beautiful storyteller with a vivid imagination. Not every author will manage to put together an angry half-Chinese boy, a mysterious Indian girl, strange powers, secret gardens, Fallen angels and one big vegetarian cat, and pull it off.

I really enjoyed this book, because it was that strange and eery. The concept of Fallen angels and those who protect humans from them is not unique, but the way G.P.Ching brings the story to life is enchanting.

The characters are really well done and have their own multiple layers, - Jacob and Malini opposing to prejudiced kids in a tiny American town, Dr.Silva in her haunted Victorian house and her weird herbal teas, creepy Fallen angels....

The writing is very engaging, I simply flew through the book. It gets pretty intense closer to the end and involves other dimensions and a fierce battle between Good and Evil. I am very much looking forward to book #2 Weaving Destiny, which I'll probably pick up sometime next year.

Great read and much recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Have you ever read a book that was so good you wanted to scream ? Well this was the book for me. I really love the story and I enjoy the authors style of writing, it really keeps you captivated to the end. Just Wonderful. ( )
  AquaMareen | Nov 27, 2014 |

10 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,756,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible