Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin

Kingdom of Gods (edition 2011)

by N. K. Jemisin

5423418,513 (4)63
Member:WeaselOfDoom
Title:Kingdom of Gods
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, 2012

The Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin

This trilogy has been a bit of a downhill slide for me. I really enjoyed the first book and, while the 2nd book did not generate quite the same level of infatuation in my heart, I still enjoyed spending time with it. After finishing this third volume in The Inheritance Trilogy, I find myself vacillating between 3 and 3.5 stars...

While the book gets off to a slow start and takes a while to build, the climax was actually quite good. I'm just not sure the semi-slog that was the first half was worth the eventual payoff. Still, at the end of the day, I settled on a rating of 3.5 because the writing and world-building are both on par with the first two volumes and the story itself remains intriguing. At the onset, I found myself not as engaged with Sieh as protagonist as I had been with the ladies at the center of the earlier books. But Sieh grew on me as he settled into his new circumstance and, by the end, I was invested in his world and the mysterious forces bent on destroying it.

All in all, a decent read - even if parts of it felt rather soap opera-ish. Jemisin does write decent dialog and she imagines a world that is much larger than life. I am likely to read more from her in the future. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jan 6, 2016 |
3.5/5
Personally I think it's not N.K. Jemisin's best book so far. The fault lies purely with Sieh - the child-god and main character of the book. He is too volatile and too much of a child to interest me enough to care. I did not care and I got pretty bored with this book despite some good parts here and there. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I am simply amazed by this last part of the "Inheritance" trilogy. Usually I try to start reading a book without any expectations - I have found that I enjoy it more that way. Unfortunately, though, before starting this one I have read reviews on Goodreads, mostly saying that this novel is the worst of the three, people finding it erratic and unstructured, not understanding what is happening at times. I was pleasantly surprised: this part I liked the most of all. Firstly, I found Sieh's mind fascinating, from the beginning until the end, growing up little by little along with him, seeing how he is changing, noticing the details - things that old Sieh would not do. Secondly, the story, the mystery around which the story develops seems more interesting, because it is more abstract, more emotional, though not so very mysterious - quite predictable. I agree that the novel might seem quite erratic, though definitely not in a bad way. This is something I keep admiring N.K. Jemisin for - I feel that she knows her characters completely, she has them figured out. The story is erratic, because the narrator is a spoiled, cruel, mischievous child, at heart at least, so if the story was more structured and less confusing, it would not be Sieh anymore, it would sound more like Yeine, Oree or Shahar. But it felt Sieh through and through. So, I simply loved it. Devoured it. Not trusting other opinions before forming my own again anytime soon. A book should be a mystery. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
The first two books in this series were good, but this one fell flat. The narrator was not believable, the plot was slow. Overall it felt like the author was scraping something together to add a third book. ( )
  RobinWebster | Nov 28, 2014 |
In the last book of the Trilogy you wouldn’t want to be a God or be worshipped by one as you follow the trials and tribulations of Sieh, child godling of the three warring Gods. Sturm und drang is the them of this book as we follow Sieh’s transformation from childish trickster to something no-one, not even Sieh could predict.
As we know in this milieu Gods are not perfect and can hold a grudge for aeons. The ramifications of the God’s war and Impetus’ downfall still reverberate throughout the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. Combine this with the unforeseen affects of a chance encounter between two Arameri children and Sieh and nothing is what it seems. ( )
  Robert3167 | Nov 9, 2014 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She looks so much like Enefa, I think, the first time I see her.

The incredible conclusion to the Inheritance Trilogy, from one of fantasy's most acclaimed stars.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. Yet they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.

Shahar, last scion of the family, must choose her loyalties. She yearns to trust Sieh, the godling she loves. Yet her duty as Arameri heir is to uphold the family's interests, even if that means using and destroying everyone she cares for.

As long-suppressed rage and terrible new magics consume the world, the Maelstrom -- which even gods fear -- is summoned forth. Shahar and Sieh: mortal and god, lovers and enemies. Can they stand together against the chaos that threatens?

Includes a never before seen story set in the world of the Inheritance Trilogy.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. But they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043931, 031604394X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,257,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible