Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin

Kingdom of Gods (edition 2011)

by N. K. Jemisin

Member:WeaselOfDoom
Title:Kingdom of Gods
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, 2012

The Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin

More god/human (or at least godling/human) sexual relationships and I'm still not sold on this being at all a good idea, but either Sieh's relative vulnerability or the fact that it was told from his point of view made it more palatable to me in this book than the other two.

(spoiler) The ending in which he and his partners are uplifted to godhood - as when Yeine likewise achieved apotheosis - in my view makes a future relationship less problematic (though not completely so, because the experience differential remains) but isn't something one should really depend on when starting an unequal relationship.

It has been great over the course of the trilogy to trace the course of the decline and fall of the Arameri Empire, hard as it may be at the end to see exactly what will replace it. It's the appeal of empire, faced with the gaping void of chaos. But humans make sense from chaos; the vacuum of power won't be a vacuum for long. The nascent civilisation(s) will develop, as will new injustices (though hopefully not as terrible ones).

The reaction at the fall of the tree didn't ring true to me. In real life I'd have expected more shellshock, more community banding together; less looting and mercantilism.

It continued to be frustrating when a character from a previous book was brought back and I knew I ought to remember them but couldn't, quite (not having read them back to back). I know an author is constrained sometimes by what a narrator thinks, but still, when the narrator recognises the character and obviously has an emotional reaction to their reappearance, it would be really good if they'd maybe remember-on-page a one-sentence, half-sentence reminder for the poor reader. ( )
  zeborah | Jun 16, 2014 |
Wait, just one this time? And how exactly is it supposed to be a kingdom? The Three don't exactly have a king... alright, I'll stop.

Hmm. I think my main problem with this book is the narrator: I understand that he was meant to be unsympathetic at times - he is the Trickster, after all, and has to be able to do unlikeable things - and that not every protagonist needs to be likeable but my point is, I just don't enjoy that at all. If this hadn't been the conclusion of a trilogy (with two protagonists in the first books that I loved), it would've been enough to drive me away. As it was, I put up with Sieh's flaws mostly for the sake of everyone else.

Thing is, I didn't care much for the main mystery either; I figured out most of it much earlier than I should have, which bothered me more for some reason than it usually does when it happened, but even aside from that I didn't find it terribly engaging.

But. And obviously there is a "but" because this book still gets a fair number of stars from me - I loved the characters. I wish Deka and Shahar had gotten more "screen"time - they didn't feel quite as developed as they should have - and I would read a whole book of Glee And Ahad wrangle An Impossible Council in a heartbeat. Every time one of the Three (or more than one of them) showed up was exciting, I loved the little bit we saw of Hymn and Echo sound like an awesome place and this book provided a mostly satisfying ending to the trilogy despite my complaints.

But seriously - Glee/Ahad Council Adventures please. ( )
  Lymsleia | Apr 14, 2014 |
I absolutely love this trilogy and Kingdom of Gods may well be the best book of the three. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Jan 28, 2014 |
This was my least favorite of the series. I really enjoyed the first two books and while I still liked this one I had some issues with it that lowered my enjoyment a bit. The first issues is that this is the first one from the POV of one of the gods or godlings. One of the things I've enjoyed about this series is that Jemisin has done an excellent job making her gods/godlings not human. They have vast power and knowledge and aren't human beings don't act like it. However having someone like that as your POV character makes it a little difficult to relate. Especially when it's a trickster god like Sieh. But once I got into the flow of his narration that was OK with me, it just took me a little longer to get into it than with the other books. The other thing is something that was inconsistent for me and kept bringing me out of the story Sieh is enraged by Shahar's betrayal because he states that becoming a father will kill him because he's a god of childhood and "childhood can't survive some things". OK, but he was also imprisoned, tortured and raped by the Amerenis for many years. So, childhood can survive that but not fatherhood? In the end, that just kept bugging me.

Still, Jemisin has built a fascinating world and populated it with characters that don't always seem sympathetic but you often grow to care about after you learn their stories and see their motivations. I've heard that her next duology is even better so I've definitely got that one lined up. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She looks so much like Enefa, I think, the first time I see her.

The incredible conclusion to the Inheritance Trilogy, from one of fantasy's most acclaimed stars.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. Yet they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.

Shahar, last scion of the family, must choose her loyalties. She yearns to trust Sieh, the godling she loves. Yet her duty as Arameri heir is to uphold the family's interests, even if that means using and destroying everyone she cares for.

As long-suppressed rage and terrible new magics consume the world, the Maelstrom -- which even gods fear -- is summoned forth. Shahar and Sieh: mortal and god, lovers and enemies. Can they stand together against the chaos that threatens?

Includes a never before seen story set in the world of the Inheritance Trilogy.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. But they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

Two editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043931, 031604394X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible