Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin

Kingdom of Gods (edition 2011)

by N. K. Jemisin

Member:WeaselOfDoom
Title:Kingdom of Gods
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, 2012

The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin

Recently added bywoods5402, jkdavies, xuqt2006, adamwolf, private library, Draigsffau, Watry

Interesting read, a little heavy on the romance for me but overall a pleasant read ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I liked the other two better than this one, but there were some great moments of world building. ( )
  adamwolf | Jun 7, 2016 |
Fantastic series. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |
Ages ago, the world was created when the first god got lonely. Since then he created several other gods and godlings to keep him company, not least Sieh, the eldest of the godlings but perpetually a child. After a struggle between gods that left the world nearly destroyed, the one of the gods set up a single family of his descendants to be the rulers of the world. This family, the Arameri, ruled for thousands of years, with the other gods and godlings as their slaves. But no structure can remain forever. At last, the Arameri's rule has faltered, and the gods are free. Everything is changing--including Sieh. After promising friendship to two little Arameri kids, Sieh starts aging and as he loses touch of childhood, his godhood fades as well. Meanwhile, a god of vengeance is out to destroy the last remnants of Arameri power, and is willing to kill the entire world to do it.

I have very mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, the world building is so interesting (the warrior "crop" in Darre! the sigils marking blood status on Arameri foreheads! godlings becoming part of the city!) and the underlying plot is cool and new to me. On the other hand, the pacing of this book is terribly uneven and all the plot happens off-screen. Shahar's entire political plot is only mentioned in passing. Deka has a huge mystical realization that basically makes him a godling, and it's glossed over. Ahad and Glee have an epic love affair that takes up about three sentences. And instead of getting to see any of this first-hand, we just get Sieh saying "then I woke up. Sixty years had passed, and blah blah blah had happened." over and over. The sheer number of times he blacks out and comes to after all the interesting stuff has already happened is just...it approaches [b:Twilight|41865|Twilight (Twilight, #1)|Stephenie Meyer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361039443s/41865.jpg|3212258] territory. Sieh's romances are not quite as frustrating, but they are inexplicable. He has maybe ten minutes of interaction with these kids, spread across two years, and this is the basis of lifelong obsession and devotion for all three of them? I didn't buy it. I wanted to believe Sieh's romances, but I need some interaction between the would-be lovers before I'm willing to believe they'll create their own universe or whatever. I felt like the book kept telling me a moment was Huge and Important and Emotional, and I never had any understanding why. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This trilogy has been a bit of a downhill slide for me. I really enjoyed the first book and, while the 2nd book did not generate quite the same level of infatuation in my heart, I still enjoyed spending time with it. After finishing this third volume in The Inheritance Trilogy, I find myself vacillating between 3 and 3.5 stars...

While the book gets off to a slow start and takes a while to build, the climax was actually quite good. I'm just not sure the semi-slog that was the first half was worth the eventual payoff. Still, at the end of the day, I settled on a rating of 3.5 because the writing and world-building are both on par with the first two volumes and the story itself remains intriguing. At the onset, I found myself not as engaged with Sieh as protagonist as I had been with the ladies at the center of the earlier books. But Sieh grew on me as he settled into his new circumstance and, by the end, I was invested in his world and the mysterious forces bent on destroying it.

All in all, a decent read - even if parts of it felt rather soap opera-ish. Jemisin does write decent dialog and she imagines a world that is much larger than life. I am likely to read more from her in the future. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jan 6, 2016 |

N.K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She looks so much like Enefa, I think, the first time I see her.

The incredible conclusion to the Inheritance Trilogy, from one of fantasy's most acclaimed stars.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. Yet they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.

Shahar, last scion of the family, must choose her loyalties. She yearns to trust Sieh, the godling she loves. Yet her duty as Arameri heir is to uphold the family's interests, even if that means using and destroying everyone she cares for.

As long-suppressed rage and terrible new magics consume the world, the Maelstrom -- which even gods fear -- is summoned forth. Shahar and Sieh: mortal and god, lovers and enemies. Can they stand together against the chaos that threatens?

Includes a never before seen story set in the world of the Inheritance Trilogy.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. But they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.… (more)

N.K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043931, 031604394X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,772,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible