Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin

Kingdom of Gods (edition 2011)

by N. K. Jemisin

Collections:Read but unowned, 2012

The Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin

A superb trilogy. ( )
  DCavin | Jul 16, 2016 |
This is a marvelous end to a great trilogy. And, it's the best of the three. The five-star rating is more a reflection of my simple enjoyment of the entire trioloty rather than this novel all by itself, though this is indeed my favorite of the three.

Genre fiction at a fine, fine peak.

Part of this novel's success rests on the work that the first two Inheritance novels do. The bulk of the important world building is done by the time Sieh takes the stage. (Most) of the same gods walk the world, we've seen several generations of mortals, so there is much history to build on. Characters develop, and their arcs come to satisfying (and sometimes surprising) conclusions.

One thing I love about this trilogy is how the narrator changes each time. The "here's my world from a different angle" strategy was effective. I loved knowing Sieh from books one to book three.

So: The Kingdom of Gods does have a couple wobbles. There are many characters here, and if you're like me you can easily forget details. I had to google a few to remember who they were (since I didn't catch that there is a glossary, duh....), but that was okay. The Big Bad Guy isn't as visceral as he could be. And, some of the creepier godlings (Lil!) didn't pass on the shivers like she used to.

But perhaps that was on purpose. The gods are in flux.

In the end, this is a great trilogy. I'm becoming more and more a fan of Jemisin with each passing novel. ( )
  ThePortPorts | Jun 28, 2016 |
Interesting read, a little heavy on the romance for me but overall a pleasant read ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I liked the other two better than this one, but there were some great moments of world building. ( )
  adamwolf | Jun 7, 2016 |
Fantastic series. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She looks so much like Enefa, I think, the first time I see her.

The incredible conclusion to the Inheritance Trilogy, from one of fantasy's most acclaimed stars.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. Yet they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.

Shahar, last scion of the family, must choose her loyalties. She yearns to trust Sieh, the godling she loves. Yet her duty as Arameri heir is to uphold the family's interests, even if that means using and destroying everyone she cares for.

As long-suppressed rage and terrible new magics consume the world, the Maelstrom -- which even gods fear -- is summoned forth. Shahar and Sieh: mortal and god, lovers and enemies. Can they stand together against the chaos that threatens?

Includes a never before seen story set in the world of the Inheritance Trilogy.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. But they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043931, 031604394X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,478,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible