Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin

Kingdom of Gods (edition 2011)

by N. K. Jemisin

418None25,334 (4.03)48
Member:WeaselOfDoom
Title:Kingdom of Gods
Authors:N. K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, 2012, 2012-12

The Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin

I absolutely love this trilogy and Kingdom of Gods may well be the best book of the three. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Jan 28, 2014 |
This was my least favorite of the series. I really enjoyed the first two books and while I still liked this one I had some issues with it that lowered my enjoyment a bit. The first issues is that this is the first one from the POV of one of the gods or godlings. One of the things I've enjoyed about this series is that Jemisin has done an excellent job making her gods/godlings not human. They have vast power and knowledge and aren't human beings don't act like it. However having someone like that as your POV character makes it a little difficult to relate. Especially when it's a trickster god like Sieh. But once I got into the flow of his narration that was OK with me, it just took me a little longer to get into it than with the other books. The other thing is something that was inconsistent for me and kept bringing me out of the story Sieh is enraged by Shahar's betrayal because he states that becoming a father will kill him because he's a god of childhood and "childhood can't survive some things". OK, but he was also imprisoned, tortured and raped by the Amerenis for many years. So, childhood can survive that but not fatherhood? In the end, that just kept bugging me.

Still, Jemisin has built a fascinating world and populated it with characters that don't always seem sympathetic but you often grow to care about after you learn their stories and see their motivations. I've heard that her next duology is even better so I've definitely got that one lined up. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
I found I enjoyed this book more than the second, which didn't work well for me, so I was a little worried about this one as well. While the story and characters were definitely stronger and everything came together more efficiently in this book, but I still had a of issues with the book.

While both the characters and story were more fleshed out and developed in this book, I found that there was something missing - it was like the author just started to scratch the surface with the story and the characters then stopped. There was some development there, but nothing was ever examined deeper. There was a interesting and complex background story there but it was never fully developed out for the reader - and the characters were the same. Near the ending, it did begin to pick up, it was becoming fast paced and had the potential to be an epic read - but it failed to keep my attention, because the book always stayed on the surface of things, instead of digging deep down into the story.

Overall, it was a good book and end to the trilogy - but I found that it was just missing something to make it a truly remarkable read.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - The Kingdom of Gods ( )
  bookwormjules | Jun 23, 2013 |
I was a little overwhelmed by this book, in the good way. The scope of it was as small as a human relationship and as large as the universe all at once, and you felt it, which is what made it all work.

What the author always does so well, and this is no small thing, is make us understand how alien the gods are. They do not think or understand or see the world the way mortals do. They are capricious and impulsive. They don't make decisions the way a mortal would make decisions. And yet in many ways they feel the things we do; they have to, in order for us to relate to them as a reader. This is an extremely fine line, and she treads it masterfully. You are never—never—entirely sure what you're going to get.

I wish I could give half stars. I would probably give this a 4.5. There are plot holes and loose ends and things I would have liked to see more or less of, but I'm left with a real sense of satisfaction in its wake. ( )
  rrainer | Apr 30, 2013 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She looks so much like Enefa, I think, the first time I see her.

The incredible conclusion to the Inheritance Trilogy, from one of fantasy's most acclaimed stars.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. Yet they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.

Shahar, last scion of the family, must choose her loyalties. She yearns to trust Sieh, the godling she loves. Yet her duty as Arameri heir is to uphold the family's interests, even if that means using and destroying everyone she cares for.

As long-suppressed rage and terrible new magics consume the world, the Maelstrom -- which even gods fear -- is summoned forth. Shahar and Sieh: mortal and god, lovers and enemies. Can they stand together against the chaos that threatens?

Includes a never before seen story set in the world of the Inheritance Trilogy.

For two thousand years the Arameri family has ruled the world by enslaving the very gods that created mortalkind. Now the gods are free, and the Arameri's ruthless grip is slipping. But they are all that stands between peace and world-spanning, unending war.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

Two editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043931, 031604394X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible