The Titanic Disaster (True Books) by Peter…

The Titanic Disaster (True Books) (edition 2011)

by Peter Benoit

Member:mburgess
Title:The Titanic Disaster (True Books)
Authors:Peter Benoit
Info:Childrens Pr (2011), Paperback, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:nonfiction, grades 4-7

The Titanic Disaster (True Books) by Peter Benoit

I know that this book is for grades younger than I will be teaching, but since I am going to probably be teaching students who are several grades behind in history, I figured that having an idea of what children's books on the subject of the "Titanic" were out there and how knowledgeable they were.

"The Titanic Disaster: A True Book" was very well done. It engaging and informative, contained a wide variety of information on the Titanic, its passengers, her crew, the disaster and the aftermath. It earns major props for explaining about how icebergs form, travel and the hidden danger they pose, due to most of their mass being hidden underwater. As well as discussing the confusion that reigned on the Titanic, both among passengers, who didn't understand the gravity of their situation and among the crew who had no idea what they were supposed to do in an emergency and failed utterly in informing their passengers of the danger. In addition, the book also presented an adequate summary of the likely causes in the Titanic sinking, including a mention of defective rivets.

Finally, the Resources section in the back, provides a nice list of recent books about the Titanic and the ocean, along with organizations and web sites that have addition information and several places that might be of interest to visit for an aspiring Titanic historian.

Overall, I found this book to be as complete a book about the Titanic as one can find for a young child. Though, it would still of great use to older students, since it contains statistics and visual images that would be useful. The statistics are scattered throughout the book, making it easy for the students to encounter them. While the visual images come from a multitude of sources, including authentic images of and on the Titanic, other period photos, artists' paintings, images recreating the sinking and modern photographs of the Titanic wreck. I look forward to adding this book to my growing collection of nonfiction books for my own classroom. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |

ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
Titanic disaster. Great for doing timelines, has on in the back. Grades 3-4. ( )
  ElaineZhang | Jul 23, 2015 |

Describes the ill-fated maiden voyage of the Titanic, a luxury liner claimed to be "unsinkable" that was destroyed after colliding with an iceberg, killing over one thousand passengers onboard.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,130,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible