Down the Darkest Road by Tami Hoag

Down the Darkest Road (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Tami Hoag

Member:Alioop17171
Title:Down the Darkest Road
Authors:Tami Hoag
Info:Dutton Adult (2011), Hardcover, 448 pages

Down the Darkest Road by Tami Hoag (2011)

It's like therapy group, only better. ("Better".)

And while the difficult 'literary' stuff can have its merits, this is clean (not confused) and easy to read.

The therapy-group-aspect of it does take patience, (and I didn't actually *like* the book), but I tried to rate it for the quality of the writing.

.................................

Then again, I didn't like it, so how good could it have been, really. Without trying to be too biased, it wasn't wonderful. It just wasn't obviously flawed.

........................................~

What I mean is the main character wasn't really sympathetic to me-- this victim who thinks that the rules of morality and behavior don't really apply to her because of her excessive pain, etc., etc. But what the author thought of her character is unclear to me, so whatever.

(8/10) ( )
  fearless2012 | Aug 3, 2013 |
Too many words; too much repetitive sentiments and thoughts. Not enough action. The mother was pathetic and not a sympathetic character. ( )
  dchamp | Jul 31, 2013 |
This novel chilled me with the description of the killer. I wonder how many damaged souls walk around in the perimeter of normal individuals. After reading this breed of novel, I want to limit my contact with the outside world. The story is well written with glimpses in the mind of the killer and the victims. Who is to be trusted? Hoag does an excellent job with the characters and the setting. I felt the battle of Lauren Lawton a little too much. I wanted to tell Lauren to chill and pay more attention to her present life than the past life. ( )
  delphimo | Jul 25, 2013 |
Three of this series was too many. In the end they all read the same. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
"Fresh Meat" by Susan Amper for Criminal Element

Set in 1990, Tami Hoag’s newest page-turner, Down the Darkest Road, is the third in a series that began with Deeper than the Dead in which the See-No-Evil killer terrorized Oak Knoll, CA. In Secrets to the Grave, a killing is solved with the aid of the new science of criminal profiling.

Down the Darkest Road offers no spate of new murders and no new science. Instead, the story focuses on Laura and Leah Lawton, the suffering they share, and Laura’s quest for justice. Laura says, “Once upon a time I had the perfect family. I had the perfect husband: handsome, loving, successful. I had the perfect children: Leslie and Leah—beautiful, brilliant, precious girls. I had the perfect life in the perfect home in the perfect place.”

But then Laura’s sixteen-year-old daughter, Leslie, was kidnapped. Laura knows who did it, but the police had no evidence for an arrest. Two years later, in 1988, her husband committed suicide, and Laura and her younger daughter Leah were left alone to cope.

(Read the rest at http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2011/12/fresh-meat-tami-hoag-down-the-darke... )
  CrimeHQ | Apr 11, 2013 |

Tami Hoagprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Potter, KirstenReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Bree, CorryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

1980s California FBI agent Vince Leone taps into the powers of science-based forensic techniques to unveil dark secrets and stop a killer who is terrorizing the citizens of Oak Knoll.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible