77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

77 Shadow Street (2011)

by Dean Koontz

English (35)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
Seems like Koontz is trying to go back to his old style and the stuff I really liked when I was a teen (aka Phantoms>). Some of twists surprised me, and Koontz' imagination for weird creatures and worlds is amazing. Every 38 years, time shifts at the Pendleton and whoever is on it's grounds is transported. Not everyone returns. And not everyone who returns lives.

If the characters weren't so "straight off the shelf," I would have liked it more. The One was not scary; it's little passages between chapters were more irritating than anything else because I'm sure I've read every sentence in another book. (Was it supposed to be the horror version of Skynet from the Terminator movies?)

The ending was hokey, but this is such a step up from the massively disappointing Frankenstein series, that I have to give Koontz two thumbs up! (The first two are awesome, but book 3 of the Frankenstein series is one of only 3 books on my hated it list, and I refuse to read the rest.)
  bohemiangirl35 | Sep 13, 2014 |
Pretty good, but it got laggy in the middle. Almost set it aside. Overall good haunted house story. ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Very interesting and sometimes terrifying book by the horror master, Dean Koontz. Love the spookiness of this book, even though it is not a ghost story. Loved it! Great beach read. ( )
  dd196406 | May 25, 2014 |
I couldn't wait to finish this book. I vow to never waste my time on a book like this gain.
  libran | Apr 13, 2014 |
A pretty good story. I had a hard time figuring out where Koontz was going with the story but I was pleasantly surprised when it was revealed.

** I listen to my books while working at my easel, This was read by Peter Berkrot, who I thought did an outstanding job with the different characters. ( )
  Robert.Louis.Caldwel | Jan 26, 2014 |
O Dunkel Dunkel Dunkel, Sie alle gehen ins Dunkel ... - T.S. Eliot: "East Coker"
Wie langsam er kriecht, der Schatten; doch ist es so weit,
Wie rasch sich die Schatten dann senken. Wie rasch! Wie rasch! - Hilaire Belloc: "An eine Sonnenuhr"
From here in the Nutland,
To Ed and Carol Gorman,
Out there in the Heartland,
With undiminished affection
after all these years.
Bitter and drunk, Earl Blandon, a former United States senator, got home at 2:15 A.M. that Thursday with a new tattoo: a two-word obscenity in blue block letters between the knuckles of the middle finger of his right hand.

Once the center of madness, suicide, mass murder, and whispers of things far worse, the 1800s Gilded Age palace known as the Pendleton, has been re-christened in the 1970s as a luxury apartment building. But now inexplicable shadows caper across walls, security cameras relay impossible images, phantom voices mutter in strange tongues, not-quite-human figures lurk in the basement, and elevators plunge into unknown depths.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible