77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

77 Shadow Street

by Dean Koontz

English (33)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
I couldn't wait to finish this book. I vow to never waste my time on a book like this gain.
  libran | Apr 13, 2014 |
A pretty good story. I had a hard time figuring out where Koontz was going with the story but I was pleasantly surprised when it was revealed.

** I listen to my books while working at my easel, This was read by Peter Berkrot, who I thought did an outstanding job with the different characters. ( )
  Robert.Louis.Caldwel | Jan 26, 2014 |
Yeah, baby, Dean Koontz is back from experimenting with high concept thrillers and unlikeable protagonists. THIS is the kind of book that made all of us fans fall in love with his work in the first place: scary, fast-paced, with lots of interesting characters and a thought provoking premise. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars from me is because of a few unexplained things that happen towards the end, not deal breakers, but could have been done better. I'd give 4.5 if I could. The best part is that now I can recommend to "Koontz virgins" to just read his latest instead of sending them to older works. ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |
Background
I'd been looking forward to reading 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz for a while. It was published in 2011, and when I didn't receive it for Christmas that year (my family knowing I'm a big Koontz fan), I was a little disappointed.

Well, now that I've read it (from the library), I'm so glad no-one I know spent a single dollar on this book. It was rubbish.

Review
In essence, 77 Shadow Street is about a building called the Pendleton, built on top of Shadow hill in the late 1800s. Every 38 years, something weird happens on this site - even the Indians knew to steer clear of this place - and it has been the site of murders, suicides, madness and disappearances.

Koontz introduces the reader to the current tenants of the Pendleton, and through each of them we experience this round of weirdness as the 38 years is about to kick in and the past, present and the future cross over.

Dominating this world is the One:
"I am the One, the all and the only. I live in the Pendleton as surely as I live everywhere. I am the Pendleton’s history and its destiny. The building is my place of conception, my monument, my killing ground. . . ."

77 Shadow Street has elements of horror as Pogromites pursue and kill the tenants and the One controls everything. I thought this was a weak plot, the horror scenes were gross and frightening but without being engaged with the narrative I found them pointless and wasted.

I remain a fan of Dean Koontz and most likely always will, but go on the record as saying 77 Shadow Street is a dud read; don't bother. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Apr 16, 2013 |
I received an advance copy for free through GoodReads’ First Reads.

I read a lot of Dean Koontz’s books during my high school and college years, but have read almost none in the last 10 years, so I’m not really current on the Koontz oeuvre. But even to me, this felt like a lot of stock characters recycled to perform a lot of unnecessary tasks, making the book longer and less interesting than it needed to be. We spend a lot of time learning about characters who ultimately have very little to do in or with the story, while others more (and sometimes less) integral to the plot pop up halfway through with little explication.

Personally, I could get past bland characters if they were only serving as grist for a powerful storytelling mill. I mean, if something genuinely scary happens to a character, it’s going to be scary regardless of who it happens to, right? And the book does kick off fairly fast, but after the first couple chapters I just wasn’t feeling the tension. It takes too long for the stakes to be raised, as we keep switching from one pointless character to another to experience the same level of anxiety or suspense from 10 different perspectives.

So you slog through 400 pages of that, and suddenly the bland characters have saved the world by assassinating scientists for their ideas (because knowledge and ideas die with the scientists, right?), and then two of the most stock bland characters (“ex-military guy” and “single mom with inner strength who really loves her darn-good kid”) are married and having a kid together and the stepson is so thrilled to finally have a real dad and a dog. And that vision of domestic bliss is how you know they’ve really saved the world, and not just postponed the inevitable or something. You’ll probably be too busy saying “WTF?” to barf.

Overall, it felt like a thin and sloppily assembled plot, more tied to finding an unusual explanation for an apparent haunting than exploring any number of the bigger and far more interesting ideas popping up at the resolution of the story. I’m giving it two stars because it wasn’t that painful to read, and if you shut your brain off at the end and/or move on immediately to another book it won’t seem that bad.
1 vote CluckingBell | Apr 7, 2013 |
From here in the Nutland,
To Ed and Carol Gorman,
Out there in the Heartland,
With undiminished affection
after all these years.
Bitter and drunk, Earl Blandon, a former United States senator, got home at 2:15 A.M. that Thursday with a new tattoo: a two-word obscenity in blue block letters between the knuckles of the middle finger of his right hand.

Once the center of madness, suicide, mass murder, and whispers of things far worse, the 1800s Gilded Age palace known as the Pendleton, has been re-christened in the 1970s as a luxury apartment building. But now inexplicable shadows caper across walls, security cameras relay impossible images, phantom voices mutter in strange tongues, not-quite-human figures lurk in the basement, and elevators plunge into unknown depths.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,570,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible