77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

77 Shadow Street

by Dean Koontz

496None20,467 (3.18)29

I couldn't wait to finish this book. I vow to never waste my time on a book like this gain.
  libran | Apr 13, 2014 |
A pretty good story. I had a hard time figuring out where Koontz was going with the story but I was pleasantly surprised when it was revealed.

** I listen to my books while working at my easel, This was read by Peter Berkrot, who I thought did an outstanding job with the different characters. ( )
  Robert.Louis.Caldwel | Jan 26, 2014 |
Het is al weer even geleden dat ik een boek heb gelezen van Dean Koontz maar hij was weer heel goed. Ik heb geen enkele moeite gehad om erin te komen en ik heb weer genoten van dit boek. ( )
  Gea1967 | Sep 22, 2013 |
Yeah, baby, Dean Koontz is back from experimenting with high concept thrillers and unlikeable protagonists. THIS is the kind of book that made all of us fans fall in love with his work in the first place: scary, fast-paced, with lots of interesting characters and a thought provoking premise. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars from me is because of a few unexplained things that happen towards the end, not deal breakers, but could have been done better. I'd give 4.5 if I could. The best part is that now I can recommend to "Koontz virgins" to just read his latest instead of sending them to older works. ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |
Background
I'd been looking forward to reading 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz for a while. It was published in 2011, and when I didn't receive it for Christmas that year (my family knowing I'm a big Koontz fan), I was a little disappointed.

Well, now that I've read it (from the library), I'm so glad no-one I know spent a single dollar on this book. It was rubbish.

Review
In essence, 77 Shadow Street is about a building called the Pendleton, built on top of Shadow hill in the late 1800s. Every 38 years, something weird happens on this site - even the Indians knew to steer clear of this place - and it has been the site of murders, suicides, madness and disappearances.

Koontz introduces the reader to the current tenants of the Pendleton, and through each of them we experience this round of weirdness as the 38 years is about to kick in and the past, present and the future cross over.

Dominating this world is the One:
"I am the One, the all and the only. I live in the Pendleton as surely as I live everywhere. I am the Pendleton’s history and its destiny. The building is my place of conception, my monument, my killing ground. . . ."

77 Shadow Street has elements of horror as Pogromites pursue and kill the tenants and the One controls everything. I thought this was a weak plot, the horror scenes were gross and frightening but without being engaged with the narrative I found them pointless and wasted.

I remain a fan of Dean Koontz and most likely always will, but go on the record as saying 77 Shadow Street is a dud read; don't bother. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Apr 16, 2013 |
From here in the Nutland,
To Ed and Carol Gorman,
Out there in the Heartland,
With undiminished affection
after all these years.
Bitter and drunk, Earl Blandon, a former United States senator, got home at 2:15 A.M. that Thursday with a new tattoo: a two-word obscenity in blue block letters between the knuckles of the middle finger of his right hand.

Once the center of madness, suicide, mass murder, and whispers of things far worse, the 1800s Gilded Age palace known as the Pendleton, has been re-christened in the 1970s as a luxury apartment building. But now inexplicable shadows caper across walls, security cameras relay impossible images, phantom voices mutter in strange tongues, not-quite-human figures lurk in the basement, and elevators plunge into unknown depths.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,482,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible