77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

77 Shadow Street (2011)

by Dean Koontz

English (29)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (31)
The house is called the Pendleton now and it was built as the dream home of a tycoon in the 1800’s. The original family was plagued with tragedy and ever since there has been a cycle of tragic events … coincidentally every 37 years. In the 1970’s it was remodeled as luxury apartments inhabited by the rich and famous, the rich and not so famous and the downright notorious. The curse of tragedy, however, seems to have stayed on despite the renovations and now ghostly images, disembodied voices and glowing mold haunt the residents of 77 Shadow Street.

In my on going quest for a good ghost story I thought of all people Mr. Koontz would deliver. I hate to say this, but not so much! I’ll admit to being a long time Koontz fan, and although lately there have been some hits and some misses I always look forward to reading his books. This one was definitely on the “miss” side of the column. There are so many characters in this book … obviously the inhabitants of a luxury condo building … and the story progresses as each tells a part of the action. Sometimes this works, but in this case it is like watching a movie with too many fast cuts. Instead of adding to the drama and action it actually takes away from it. By the end of the book I didn’t care about the characters and was a little tired of the lengthy reflection on the bleakness of the world and the “darkness” of humankind. Would not recommend this one, even to a Koontz fan.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Pretty good, but it got laggy in the middle. Almost set it aside. Overall good haunted house story. ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I couldn't wait to finish this book. I vow to never waste my time on a book like this gain.
  libran | Apr 13, 2014 |
A pretty good story. I had a hard time figuring out where Koontz was going with the story but I was pleasantly surprised when it was revealed.

** I listen to my books while working at my easel, This was read by Peter Berkrot, who I thought did an outstanding job with the different characters. ( )
  Robert.Louis.Caldwel | Jan 26, 2014 |
Yeah, baby, Dean Koontz is back from experimenting with high concept thrillers and unlikeable protagonists. THIS is the kind of book that made all of us fans fall in love with his work in the first place: scary, fast-paced, with lots of interesting characters and a thought provoking premise. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars from me is because of a few unexplained things that happen towards the end, not deal breakers, but could have been done better. I'd give 4.5 if I could. The best part is that now I can recommend to "Koontz virgins" to just read his latest instead of sending them to older works. ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |
O Dunkel Dunkel Dunkel, Sie alle gehen ins Dunkel ... - T.S. Eliot: "East Coker"
Wie langsam er kriecht, der Schatten; doch ist es so weit,
Wie rasch sich die Schatten dann senken. Wie rasch! Wie rasch! - Hilaire Belloc: "An eine Sonnenuhr"
From here in the Nutland,
To Ed and Carol Gorman,
Out there in the Heartland,
With undiminished affection
after all these years.
Bitter and drunk, Earl Blandon, a former United States senator, got home at 2:15 A.M. that Thursday with a new tattoo: a two-word obscenity in blue block letters between the knuckles of the middle finger of his right hand.

Once the center of madness, suicide, mass murder, and whispers of things far worse, the 1800s Gilded Age palace known as the Pendleton, has been re-christened in the 1970s as a luxury apartment building. But now inexplicable shadows caper across walls, security cameras relay impossible images, phantom voices mutter in strange tongues, not-quite-human figures lurk in the basement, and elevators plunge into unknown depths.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,421,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible