Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

77 Shadow Street (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Dean Koontz

Member:gregoryahillsr
Title:77 Shadow Street
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2011), Edition: 1st ptg, Hardcover, 464 pages

77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz (2011)

English (34)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (36)
77 Shadow Street is one of those books that in the end just didn't live up to my expectations. I listened to the audio version of prequel novella The Moonlit Mind before I tackled this book and found The Moonlit Mind to be great. So, I was really looking forward to this book. However, firstly it is way too long. Towards the end, I noticed that my mind started to drift now and then especially during some of the characters parts. Particularly when the One was speaking. Secondly, too many characters, too many uninteresting characters. And, more were added during the process of the story and I just felt that they were not that memorable so I kept forgetting who was who. Thirdly, having the TVs and monitors saying EXTERMINATE during the story just felt like they were fighting Daleks (which actually would have been pretty cool).

On the plus side, the story was interesting, I found that I wanted to know the truth about the building and I found that the conclusion, the truth about the One was refreshingly new and unexpected. I just wish that I had formed a closer bond with the characters, as it is was I more worried about the cats than any of the people. Also, I kept on expecting the characters from The Moonlit Mind to show up, but that never happens. That disappointed me. Still, there were some cool scenes and I would like to read more books in the series.

A bit too long, but in the end and OK book! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
The Pendleton is a grand residence built in the 1800's. Once the magnificent home of a tycoon and his family, it is now luxury apartments for the wealthy. Built at the highest point of Shadow Hill over a faultline to another time and place, The Pendleton has a history of episodes of violence and murder.
Every 38 years The One begins it's work on the residents and no one is safe. Shadows fleet across walls and monsters creep from around corners. Lives and sanity are under great threat.

Either the gates of Hell had opened or Tom had lost his mind, for there could be nothing like this entity outside the precincts of the damned except in the fevered fantasies of a raving paranoid psychopath.

There is nothing more disappointing than a great story with a weak ending. I had shivers reading parts of this book but then the ending was just tied up so neat and tidy, it just didn't fit.
2.5*
  ChelleBearss | Mar 9, 2018 |
not his best. Frankly, if it hadn't been Koontz, I would have stopped reading, 1/3 of the way through. Even with it being Koontz, I was sorely tempted to stop, 2/3 of the way through. The last 1/3 of the book finally picked up. But overall, very disappointing. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
Dean Koontz
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I love Dean Koontz, but I did not enjoy this book as much as I have his others. ( )
  TerriHill | Oct 21, 2015 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O Dunkel Dunkel Dunkel, Sie alle gehen ins Dunkel ... - T.S. Eliot: "East Coker"
Wie langsam er kriecht, der Schatten; doch ist es so weit,
Wie rasch sich die Schatten dann senken. Wie rasch! Wie rasch! - Hilaire Belloc: "An eine Sonnenuhr"
From here in the Nutland,
To Ed and Carol Gorman,
Out there in the Heartland,
With undiminished affection
after all these years.
Bitter and drunk, Earl Blandon, a former United States senator, got home at 2:15 A.M. that Thursday with a new tattoo: a two-word obscenity in blue block letters between the knuckles of the middle finger of his right hand.

Once the center of madness, suicide, mass murder, and whispers of things far worse, the 1800s Gilded Age palace known as the Pendleton, has been re-christened in the 1970s as a luxury apartment building. But now inexplicable shadows caper across walls, security cameras relay impossible images, phantom voices mutter in strange tongues, not-quite-human figures lurk in the basement, and elevators plunge into unknown depths.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,490,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible