Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell K. Hamilton

Obsidian Butterfly (edition 2002)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Collections:Read in 2014, Read in 2006, Read in 2009, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:{Box 9}, inv

Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell K. Hamilton

A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the Aztec gods.
    The Compass Rose by Gail Dayton (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: On balancing the polyamorous lifestyle. Oh, and slaying monsters.

English (70)  Italian (1)  All languages (71)
this was my first Anita Blake - found it intriguing and entertaining, and started to read the previous ones in the series... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Anita Blake, Vampire Executioner and Animator, travels to New Mexico at the behest of super-assassin Edward (or Death as we're continually reminded) to investigate a series of brutal (what else) and inexplicable murders. it's an enjoyable book. It sheds light on Edward (someone we've all wanted to know more about) and manages to extricate Anita from the tangled morass of her personal life in St. Louis. As always the story is fast-moving, evocatively written, and makes us care deeply about the fate of the protagonists. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I do love this series. Edward is one of my faves! I actually really like Bernardo too. I would have taken Olaf out! He is just creepy as hell. There were a lot of slow parts in this one but it was OK because we got to see a little deeper into Edward. I'm not sure what I think about this family thing. I'm glad he doesn't want to Kill Anita for sport now lol. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
This book is exciting and filled with mystery. Edward (AKA Death) has called in a favor with Anita upon a series of murders going on in his neck of the woods. In this book we learn a whole lot more about Edward and what makes him tick. Edward, as Ted the bounty hunter is on a case were people are being mutilated and no one has any idea as to what is going on. Edward also has a little secret that he hasn't shared with Anita and when she finds out her anger is unleashed. Never involve children with assassins sometimes violent nature. Nothing innocent. And considering that Edward has done something unthinkable I am glad that it all works out. While the bad guys are swarming Anita, Edward, as well as Bernardo (who wants in Anita's pants and is good with knives), and Olaf (who wishes to do unsavory things to women of Anita's type, and happens to be good at what he does) work together to solve the mystery, albeit with a lot of fighting thrown into the mix. While the monster works from the shadows, Itzpapalotl, the master of the city tries to uncover the secrets of the triumvirate, and Edward's secret worms its way into Anita's heart it's an all out rush to the fantastic finish.

Also, just to add, Olaf is particularly frightening and yet entirely too perfect for the book. A man's man woman hater kind of perfect. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
I loved reading more Edward, but this was a really terrible book, not least because Anita has become wholly unlikable by now. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fusari, ErikaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murello, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tony Stone ImagesPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for all the Edward fans, who by their letters, questions, and sheer interest let me know that they were as interested in knowing more about him as I was.
I was covered in blood, but it wasn't mine, so it was okay.

"MY NAME IS ANITA BLAKE. I'D LIKE YOU TO MEET EDWARD...

'Edward was a hit man. He specialized in monsters. Vampires, shape-shifters, anything and everything. There were people like me who did it legal, but Edward didn't sweat the legalities or, hell, the ethics. He was an equal opportunity killer. I may be one of the few friends that Edward has, but it's like being friends with a tame leopard. It may curl on the foot of your bed and let you pet its head, but it can still eat your throat out...'"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134503, Mass Market Paperback)

Anita Blake, the tough, sexy vampire executioner, zombie animator, and police consultant for preternatural crimes in St. Louis, hunts monsters in New Mexico in the ninth book of Laurell K. Hamilton's excellent series. Edward, Anita's mentor in slaying, asks Anita to return the favor that she has owed him since she killed a backup he brought in to protect her. He needs Anita's preternatural expertise as well as her firepower. Something is skinning and mutilating a few of its chosen victims, and dismembering others. Edward has no idea what creature could be responsible for such heinous crimes.

Summoning Anita has its downside for Edward, since it means letting her onto his turf. Anita is surprised to find that this normally aggressive man has a personal life, and shocked by his ability to be entirely different from the stone cold killer she's known. She also has problems with the cop in charge in Albuquerque, who believes her powers must be evil, and with the other backups Edward has brought in. Most of all, she has to deal with her own vulnerability--she's tried to shut down her ties to her vampire and werewolf lovers and go it alone, but it turns out to be harder than she thought.

Anita's usual supporting cast is missing, and she's taking time out from her complex love life, but there's plenty of bloody action, vampires, werewolves, and Aztec ritual. Plus a lot more about Edward. Fans will find this installment similar to the earlier books in the series, particularly The Laughing Corpse. --Nona Vero.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:43 -0400)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake is forced into an uneasy alliance with Edward, a bounty hunter specializing in the preternatural, as she searches for a mysterious and evil force that maims, kills, and vanishes into the night without a trace.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,131,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible