dismiss

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed…

by Kathleen Flinn

" The author of The Sharper Your Knife tells the inspiring story of how she helped nine others find their inner cook. After graduating from Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, writer Kathleen Flinn returned with no idea what to do next, until one day at a supermarket she watched a woman loading her cart with ultraprocessed foods. Flinn's "chefternal" instinct kicked in: she persuaded the stranger to reload with fresh foods, offering her simple recipes for healthy, easy meals. The Kitchen Counter Cooking School includes practical, healthy tips that boost readers' culinary self-confidence, and strategies to get the most from their grocery dollar, and simple recipes that get readers cooking. "--Provided by publisher.… (more)
    The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Both books are about a series of group cooking lessons, set in Seattle. Bauermeister's is fiction; Flinn's is nonfiction.

A chef takes nine women, afraid of cooking, under her wing. She teaches them everything from knife skills to using soups to clean out your fridge. I learned so much from her accessible style and professional tips. I need to empty out all of my spices and buy new ones. I'd also like to try a few cooking styles, like braising, that have intimidated me. She puts a huge emphasis on staying away from packaged foods and learning where your meat comes from. Wonderful advice for any aspiring cook! ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 17, 2020 |
Loved this book. Learned from it. Totally trying the recipes ( )
  joliek | Aug 31, 2019 |
Down-to-earth and, dare I say it, even inspiring at times. As with her previous book, "The Sharper Your Knife ...", Flinn is an engaging storyteller, and she paints sympathetic and affectionate portraits of the women in her basic cooking classes. It's especially encouraging to see these volunteers gain mean knife skills, a broader knowledge of food beyond the box, and (above all) confidence in the kitchen. The few chapters on Flinn's other endeavors, while fun, are out of the place in the narrative; maybe she thought people would be bored only hearing about the classes, but not me (even if she hadn't had the occasional celebrity chef as guest instructor). My wife and I have already promised ourselves to be more adventurous about cooking this year, and reading this book will only strengthen that resolve. ( )
  bostonian71 | Jan 4, 2017 |
Excellent reading; insightful and full of great tips and recipes. ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |
Read this, hoping it would inspire me to cook more. ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |
For my mother, Irene

For encouraging me to find joy in everything, not just cooking
Normally, I do not stalk people in grocery stores.
Every grocery cart tells a story.

Writer Kathleen Flinn, who graduated from Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, shares stories and lessons to inspire home cooks.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,240,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible