I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier

I Am the Cheese (1977)

by Robert Cormier

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (angelofmusic_81)
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
    The Rag and Bone Shop by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: These two books are very different in plot, themes, etc., but they have similar whack-you-on-the-back-of-the-head type endings.

Somehow, I find myself reading way too much Y-A literature this year. and just when I decide to wean myself away from this genre, up comes a sparkling piece of writing like this one that forces me to stay open to this genre yet. Superbly written book. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a quick and satisfying read. ( )
  _amritasharma_ | Feb 5, 2016 |
I Am the Cheese is a psychological journey taken by a boy named Adam. After discovering that his family has been living undercover for most of his life, Adam begins to find things out about himself and his parents that he never suspected before. Told in a series of flashbacks, this book explores the psychological ramifications of living as a fugitive. In the end, Adam finds that he is the "cheese," that his life is insignificant and forgetable. Readers will likely be captivated by the storyline, but may have to read the book again to truly understand what the book is all about. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
I Am the Cheese was a strange little mystery. On page one it appears to be the story of a high school age boy leaving home on his bike to visit his father for his birthday. His trip his an ambitious one as he plans to make a seven hour trip from his home in Monument, Massachuttes to Rutterburg , Vermont in one day. However by chapter 2 its clear that this novel is something much more. As the story unfolds,Cormier parcels out the clues slowly until the shocking conclusion is revealed.

This book was read for a book club and its not something I would have selected, however it was a good read. I think that it may have been better had it been fleshed out a bit more. However as it is geared towards a younger audience, I understand why Cormier didn't make it too detailed. I Am the Cheese has a very dark and creepy edge to it, reminiscent of a Hitchcock film. I would highly recommend it to someone in the target audience but for me, despite the nice execution, it was lacking just a little something. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Well, I really can't see my 7th or 8th graders a) understanding this b) putting up with it c) comprehending the ending even a little bit d) relating to this. HOWEVER, I think it's one of the best novels I've read in quite some time.

The book creatively characterizes a teen's quest to find the truth to his identity, and it plays out as a thriller/mystery but with all of the literary merit of a classic. The symbolism is complex and brilliant and left me reflecting and analyzing for hours. For the first time since I graduated from college, I wrote a paper about a novel without being prompted! I started to write about what I thought the ending was about, but it turned into an in-depth analysis that turned out to be 2 pages long, single-spaced. Man, how I miss that! I sorted out almost all of my questions and understand the complexities of the plot (the things that will elude any young readers, I think). Please, if you want to discuss this book, let me know! I could go on and on and I'd love to hear your opinions! It's definitely the type of novel that will have myriad interpretations of even basic plot elements.

I actually liked this better than Chocolate War, although it deals with the same themes. It seems that Cormier constantly shows us that "doing the right thing" NEVER pays off, but neither does staying quiet. Nothing sugar-coated here. Realism at its best. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I've been a huge fan of Robert Cormier ever since I read After The First Death as a teenager, so I was very excited when my son brought I Am The Cheese home from the school library. This is an extremely taut psychological thriller with a chilling conclusion. ( )
  MargaritaMorris | Oct 16, 2014 |
I am riding the bicycle and I am on Route 31 in Monument, Massachusetts, on my way to Rutterburg, Vermont, and I'm pedaling furiously because this is an old-fashioned bike, no speeds, no fenders, only the warped tires and the brakes that don't always work and the handlebars with cracked rubber grips to steer with.
"Someday I will ride my bike out there."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440940605, Mass Market Paperback)

Imagine discovering that your whole life has been a fiction, your identity altered, and a new family history created. Suddenly nothing is as it once seemed; you can trust no one, maybe not even yourself. It is exactly this revelation that turns 14-year-old Adam Farmer's life upside down. As he tries to ascertain who he really is, Adam encounters a past, present, and future too horrible to contemplate. Suspense builds as the fragments of the story are assembled--a missing father, government corruption, espionage--until the shocking conclusion shatters the fragile mosaic. Young adult readers will easily relate to the shy and confused Adam, whose desperate searching for self resembles a disturbingly exaggerated version of the identity crisis common to the teenage years.

First published in 1977, I Am the Cheese provides an exciting introduction to psychological thrillers. This sensitive, emotional, subtly crafted novel by Robert Cormier (author of The Chocolate War) was a New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year, as well as a School Library Journal Best Book of the Year. --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:50 -0400)

A young boy desperately tries to unlock his past yet knows he must hide those memories if he is to remain alive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,917,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible