I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier

I Am the Cheese (1977)

by Robert Cormier

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (angelofmusic_81)
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
    The Rag and Bone Shop (Readers Circle) by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: These two books are very different in plot, themes, etc., but they have similar whack-you-on-the-back-of-the-head type endings.

After reading it, I'm still not sure what I thought of it. I felt like I needed to read the book twice, because it's one of THOSE books with the twist ending like "The Usual Suspects" or "The Sixth Sense". So a second read lets you see all the signs and understand what was really going on. The good thing is that it's short, so it's easy to do. That or you can just read the cliff notes.

It's also an old book with some archaic elements. For instance, the witness protection program was a new, innovative thing. It wasn't even named yet. And the other anachronisms, especially the way mental health is treated, seem downright barbaric now. It feels like those racist Bugs Bunny cartoons as actual entertainment, rather than a historical reprimand.

If you need to complete a collection of some kind, then go ahead and read it. It's not horrible. But I didn't feel more fulfilled by adding it to my library. ( )
  theWallflower | Mar 26, 2014 |
I'm giving up on this one, I just can't work up enough interest to follow the story jumps. Sorry. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 24, 2014 |
An adventurous structure with interesting changes of voice. Unfortunately it's also a bit overblown and dated. It manages to be deeply depressing; the details of the boy's bike trip are grim but somehow grindingly realistic. ( )
  themulhern | Mar 4, 2014 |
I read this as a teen many years ago. I think I enjoyed it even more this time.
Written in a unique style with the "action" of the story interspersed with the protagonist being interviewed by a mysterious stranger, this is a real page turner.
I love the ending - although I can understand why others may find it frustrating.

I was able to read the entire book in one sitting. ( )
  Scarchin | Nov 12, 2013 |
I read this in high school and found it completely fascinating. It's disturbing and lingers in your memory. This books makes you think and even at the end you're not sure of what really happened. It's a great book for critical thinking and how you envision your life and space. ( )
1 vote mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
I am riding the bicycle and I am on Route 31 in Monument, Massachusetts, on my way to Rutterburg, Vermont, and I'm pedaling furiously because this is an old-fashioned bike, no speeds, no fenders, only the warped tires and the brakes that don't always work and the handlebars with cracked rubber grips to steer with.
"Someday I will ride my bike out there."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440940605, Mass Market Paperback)

Imagine discovering that your whole life has been a fiction, your identity altered, and a new family history created. Suddenly nothing is as it once seemed; you can trust no one, maybe not even yourself. It is exactly this revelation that turns 14-year-old Adam Farmer's life upside down. As he tries to ascertain who he really is, Adam encounters a past, present, and future too horrible to contemplate. Suspense builds as the fragments of the story are assembled--a missing father, government corruption, espionage--until the shocking conclusion shatters the fragile mosaic. Young adult readers will easily relate to the shy and confused Adam, whose desperate searching for self resembles a disturbingly exaggerated version of the identity crisis common to the teenage years.

First published in 1977, I Am the Cheese provides an exciting introduction to psychological thrillers. This sensitive, emotional, subtly crafted novel by Robert Cormier (author of The Chocolate War) was a New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year, as well as a School Library Journal Best Book of the Year. --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:51 -0400)

A young boy desperately tries to unlock his past yet knows he must hide those memories if he is to remain alive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible