To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer

To Win Her Heart (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Karen Witemeyer

1901191,766 (3.98)4
Member:fbc-cslibrary
Title:To Win Her Heart
Authors:Karen Witemeyer
Info:Bethany House (2011), Paperback, 347 pages

To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer (2011)

After serving two years for manslaughter, Levi Grant has reconnected with his faith and made the decision to leave his prior career of prizefighting behind him and devote himself to his family trade as a blacksmith. Moving to a new town, he finds himself besotted with the local librarian, Eden Spencer. But with her utter abhorrence for any violence can Levi convince her to love a man with such a dark past?

Yet another enjoyable Christian romance from Karen Witemeyer, this time with bonus small town librarian. ( )
  MickyFine | Jan 1, 2017 |
Karen Witemeyer is truly one of my favorite authors, and this book is one of my favorites within that sub-category. I don't think anything can topple "Short Straw Bride" as my favorite of her books, but this one comes in a very close second! (Let's see how many times I can use the word "Favorite" in this review lol) ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
SENSUALITY RATING: NO Profanity; NO Euphemistic "code words"; "SWEET" storyline with a kiss or two.

GENRE: Inspirational; Romance; Western

SETTING: Spencer, Texas 19th century

CENTRAL FEMALE CHARACTER: EDEN - Loves God; does not believe in violence of any kind; loves literature; running from a relationship gone bad.

CENTRAL MALE CHARACTER: LEVI - Loves God; built like a mountain; has a lisp. His challenge: to let go of the guilt from his past sins.

SYNOPSIS: Eden wants respect as a member of the city council. The town Pastor is the only person that knows that Levi is fresh out of prison. Together Eden and Levi struggle with instant attraction and their own little demons.

WHAT I LIKED: 1) Discussion of literature via notes. 2) Storyline message: It is more important to care for the needs of others than to worry about your reputation.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE: I take notes when reading a book. No negative notations therefore no complaints.

OVERALL RATING: (5) stars. What makes a book stand out? Having an author that drops storyline bread crumbs. A snippet of humor always helps. ( )
  Chandra-of-Red | Jun 25, 2015 |
This is by far my favorite of all the Christian fiction/ historical fiction books I've read this year. Though it's characters definitely have Christian values, they're not in-your-face preachy about it like in some books, and don't spend pages in internal "WWJD" monologue like in others. This one was definitely more realisticly done; the characters didn't even beat themselves up (literally or figuratively) about having a physical response to one another, which was a nice change. If all Christian fiction were written like this one, I'd definitely read more of it.

Another thing I really liked about this book was the character of Levi. He has a speech impediment--he's unable to make the "s" sound well--and as a result tries not to use it at all. A teacher had suggested this solution to him as a child, and Levi became an avid reader in order to improve his vocabulary so as not to have to say "s" sounds in conversation. As a result, his speech is often slow as he tries to find a substitute word for the obvious ones, which of course often leads people to believe that he is slow. I was really amazed with how Witemeyer truly managed to keep the dreaded "s" sounds out of his conversation--it became almost a game for me, comparing what he does say to what "normally" would have been said in that situation. As an English teacher and wanna-be writer, I was truly impressed.

My fingers are crossed that Head in the Clouds (her third book) comes to my library's Overdrive soon! ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 20, 2013 |
Eden Spencer is done with men. Believing men to be harsh and selfish, especially after being jilted by her fiance, she devotes her time and money to helping others. Her library and charity work keep her satisfied. At least until Levi Grant moves to town as the new blacksmith. But will this gentle giant's secret ruin their budding relationship?

Loved this book! And the characters! The book switched between both Eden's and Levi's points-of-view, which I loved! There was plenty of intrigue and excitement to keep you reading late into the night, including some sweet secondary stories in the background. This was a great story woven with relatable characters and a strong message of redemption. Highly recommended! ( )
  AspiringAshley | Apr 18, 2012 |
Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

Proverbs 10:12
To my dad.

I knew you for only sixteen years before Jesus called you home, but in that time,you taught me to laugh, to sing, and to give my best in every endeavor. Because of you, it is easy to believe in a heavenly Father who loves his children with unconditional fervor and whose forgiveness knows no bounds.

I love you, Daddy.
After two years, they'd finally cut him loose. Gave him a new suit of clothes and everything. Funny, though. The shame of the convict stripes still clung to him, as if tattooed horizontally across his skin.

After completing his sentence for the unintentional crime that derailed his youthful plans for fame and fortune, Levi Grant looks to start over in the town of Spencer, Texas. Spencer needs a blacksmith, a trade Levi learned at his father's knee, and he needs a place where no one knows his past. Eden Spencer has sworn off men, choosing instead to devote her time to the lending library she runs in the town her father founded. When a mountain-sized stranger walks through her door and asks to borrow a book, she's reluctant to trust him. Yet as the mysteries of the town's new blacksmith unfold, Eden discovers hidden depths in him that tempt her heart. Eden believes she's finally found a man of honor and integrity. But when the truth about Levi's prodigal past comes to light, can this tarnished hero find a way to win back the librarian's affections?… (more)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,557,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible