A Demon Does It Better by Linda Wisdom

A Demon Does It Better (edition 2012)

by Linda Wisdom

Member:carolyn610petersen
Title:A Demon Does It Better
Authors:Linda Wisdom
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:paranormal romance, demons, witches, alternate earth

A Demon Does It Better by Linda Wisdom

It's not as good as the first Demon book - Demons Are A Girl's Best Friend - and it's sadly not as good as the first four in the series (the Hex series) but that's not to say it's a bad read. It's fluffy romance with the usual sidekick characters who provide a quirky extra to the main witchy heroine.
Unlike other reviewers, I wasn't mad keen on Cleo, the former queen of Egypt now reincarnated as a cat, but she did have some really funny stand out moments.
I've also found the plots a bit lacking with the two Demon novels in comparison to the previous books where the "heroes" came from other supernatural backgrounds. It's not because they're not as interesting, I find the idea of a demon being anything other than "a demon" to be a good one but they don't seem to be fully fleshed out. We see far more of the other supernatural men's natures and abilities in the previous books than either of the two demons in these.
Still, our heroine Lili is a likeable enough girl, she's one of the 13 witches chucked out from witchy school back in 1313 and banished for 100 years (they get extra years added on each time they use their magic powers not for the "greater good" and that's added up to 700 additional timeouts) so she's had time to develop her powers, which lie in the field of healing.
The book plot has her revisiting somewhere she used to work, a hospital for supernaturals, and stumbling on to an archetypal "mad doctor" up to nefarious good in the basement. One of his patients is the shadow demon Jared and the narrative then meanders through various sub-plots, offshoots and minor characters to the rather rapid conclusion.

I like Linda Wisdom, I loved her first four books, I'm hoping as she carries on with this series we'll see more of a return to the style of those and more of a cross over with the stories of the remaining witches. ( )
  Cadiva | Apr 1, 2015 |

Cadiva | Apr 1, 2015 |
I liked her other Witches better. This one just didn't resonate with me. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
I had no real connection to either of the leads; I actually liked the minor characters better. The bad guy in the story didn't even have a huge part; anti-climatic. ( )
  DrkCherry | Sep 21, 2013 |
I have to say the second book of the demon series does not live up to the greatness of the first. I started this book and just generally got bored. Im not really sure but it intrigued me at first but it wasn't exciting enough to hold my attention. A demon that can escape a sanitorum through dark shadows was compelling but he didn't hook me in with the demon does it better line. Halfway through I was yawning and then ooops I skipped to last chapter. Then before I knew it I was online trading it for something better. Hmmm! Maybe next time the author will do it better. ( )
  ijpanko | Apr 24, 2013 |

"After more than a century, Doctor Lili Carter, witch healer extraordinaire, has returned to San Francisco and taken a job at Crying Souls Hospital and Asylum, where something peculiar and wicked is happening. Patients are disappearing, and Lili wants to know why. Lili finds herself undeniably attracted to perhaps the most mysterious patient of all--a demented but seriously sexy demon named Jared. What's behind the gorgeous chameleon demon's late-night escapades?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,054,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible