Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters

Keeping You a Secret (2003)

by Julie Anne Peters

[review written 2011]

I finished Keeping You A Secret last night. It was a really good book, since it happened to be one of the few romance novels that hooked me and kept me reading until 1:00 in the morning. The only one, actually. I loved Cece and Holland’s relationship; it was really sweet, and the way Holland’s mother reacted when she found out her daughter had a girlfriend was extreme and made me really feel for Holland.

The one thing I didn’t like so much is that Cece seemed to advertise the fact she was gay more than anyone I’ve ever seen in any book, movie, or TV show, along with the fact that she was in a mostly homophobic school, but once she started dating Holland, she seemed to retract into herself. It seemed like a jerk move to me. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
Lo ame de principio a fin . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
"Megan Tingley books."
  Bookman1954 | Feb 17, 2015 |
I personally hated this book. I think some of it was I just couldn't relate. But also it was too typical. The girls were basically stalkers and the one was a cheater. I have nothing against gays but I don't like reading this type of book. Not my style. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
After reading this book, the hype around it has me perplexed. I was expecting a poignant coming of age tale about sexual identity, but just hours after finishing the book the story and characters are fading from my memory. The writing is juvenile, like something that should have been kept in a journal, and the characters are so stock and one-dimensional that empathy for them is hard to muster. You have the popular girl, the fiercely out lesbian, and a laughable "Goth" stepsister who is used to associate the subculture erroneously with Columbine and disparage it completely.

No one in the story really develops or grows as a character besides the main character realizing she's a lesbian, but that's a given. You would expect more from a young adult novel so often compared to Nancy Garden's wonderful book Annie on My Mind, but perhaps such a comparison only arises because this subject matter is a glaring void in young adult fiction. This book does little to help that. ( )
  poetontheone | Jan 21, 2014 |
To Sherri for always

And to those who are living out and proud. You are a beacon for others to find their way home.
First time I saw her was in the mirror on my locker door.

It was a wobbles-worth book... but I didn't understand the ending. =]

With a steady boyfriend, the position of Student Council President, and a chance to go to an Ivy League college, high school life is just fine for Holland Jaeger. At least it seems to be. But when Cece Goddard comes to school, everything changes. Cece and Holland have undeniable feelings for each other, but how will others react to their developing relationship? This moving love story between two girls is a worthy successor to Nancy Garden's classic young adult coming out novel, Annie on My Mind. With her characteristic humor and breezy style, Peters has captured the compelling emotions of young love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

As she begins a very tough last semester of high school, Holland finds herself puzzled about her future and intrigued by a transfer student who wants to start a Lesbigay club at school.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,456,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible