Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson,…

Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jon Krakauer

Member:pbirch01
Title:Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way
Authors:Jon Krakauer
Info:Anchor (2011), Edition: First Printing, Paperback, 96 pages

Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way by Jon Krakauer (2011)

Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson (BookWallah, TooBusyReading)
    BookWallah: Are you willing to hear the other side of this story... warning this is not pretty.
    TooBusyReading: I think it is important to read both sides of the story.
    Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Greg Mortenson (BookWallah)
    BookWallah: And now for the rest of the story... warning this is not pretty.

I have been curious to learn more about Greg Mortenson ever since I heard that Three Cups of Tea (which I was definitely taken in by) didn't quite represent the truth as well as one might hope. This book had been sitting on my shelves for quite some time before I decided it would be a good book for Dewey's readathon.

Krakauer is an emotional, talented writer. His story drew me forward, kept me turning pages to try to discover just what was reality and what was distortion. It was a little embarrassing to have pointed out all of the aspects of Mortenson's story that should have raised flags as "probably too good to be true," but which I (and many, many others) didn't examine because they felt so good. This story is sad one, ultimately, because Mortenson clearly had a passion to help, and if only had accepted more input, made himself more accountable, instead of falling in love with his white savior narrative, he could have done so much more good.

Of course, with a little distance (and a little research) from both books, they start to mirror each other in more interesting ways. Tea over-romanticizes and fictionalizes in service to its mission: which is to raise more money and understanding for what it believes to be a desperately important cause. Unfortunately, it seems that Deceit also glosses over and blows out of proportion in service to its mission: which sadly seems to be just to savage Mortenson. Could Mortenson have done a better job? Absolutely. Were he and his organization still adding up to a net good in the world? I think so. With distance, Krakauer's rage on behalf of all the "bilked" schoolchildren (who were moved by Mortenson's visions and held fundraisers and donated their own little collections of pennies) seem a little out of proportion? Also, yes.

This was an interesting book, but I wish it had been a different book. I wish it had been a book about how people sometimes get wrapped up in good intentions and are swept away by their own stories. I wish it had been a story about the ways we do and do not effectively build empathy between cultures. I wish it had been a story about how we demand unrealistic levels of perfection from non-profits, and are eager to burn them to the ground when they don't live up to our expectations, but shrug our shoulders at the sins of corporations, or the military-industrial complex, or sensationalist media hyping war.

Who will write that book? ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Read this book in one sitting - it is only 75 pages long- and there is a lot of information packed into those 75 pages. I was never a [b:Three Cups of Tea|9065125|Three Cups of Tea|Greg Mortenson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1282779515s/9065125.jpg|7189347] devotee and I am relieved that I wasn't after reading Krakauer's expose of Mortenson's fraudulent behavior. It is disheartening that such a wonderful idea (spreading education to areas in need) has been so perverted by Mortenson's ego, greed and duplicity. As a side note...100% of the proceeds from [b:Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way|11151351|Three Cups of Deceit How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way|Jon Krakauer|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1303177098s/11151351.jpg|16075075] are being donated to the "Stop Girl Trafficking" at the American Himalayan Foundation. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Highly recommended. As always, Krakauer brings his great writing and reporting skills to an important topic. A slim volume but important nonetheless. I looked up Greg Mortensen after reading and found out that he was forced to "retire" last year after the scam became apparent to everyone. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Jul 16, 2016 |
We had to read it in english class....it was worse than three cups of tea ( )
  bethanyrenee13 | May 13, 2016 |
A story that needed to be told. Fraud, lack of ethics, and simply embellishment aren't acceptable. ( )
1 vote deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Greg Mortenson doesn't hide his light under a bushel.

Argues that author and humanitarian Greg Mortenson, noted for his campaign to open schools for girls in Pakistan and Afghanistan, has not been truthful about his past, his reasons for opening schools, or his abduction by the Taliban.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,963,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible