Progenitor by Christopher John Chater

This is a Reading Good Books review.

I honestly didn’t get it. It’s true that futuristic sci-fi stuff is not my cup of tea yet I can still follow a story. I tried but I just wasn’t relating to this. I didn’t even see the sarcasm that the main character, Tim Carr, was supposed to have.

The author had an interesting premise of a future world — space/time travel, other worldly beings, and the existence of classes even in that future world. Tim Carr was one of the Lower Level Citizens, LLC, serving as a janitor in a space ship. And then, he sees orbs or balls of light and gas, trying to communicate with him. Okay, I got that much. That’s when the story goes all over the place. It goes on and on about other things that by the time it got back to the orbs, I’ve forgotten what they were about. The conclusion fell short and I felt that there was so much filler, for a short story, and not enough development.

It could have been a great serious sci-fi novel. If Tim’s “sarcasm” is a device to put a bit of humor into this, it didn’t work that well.

Rating: 2/5.

Recommendation: Again, it’s one of those e-books that you can finish in one sitting. ( )
  chaostheory08 | Oct 9, 2011 |
*I won a free copy of this e-book in a LibraryThing Member Giveaway*

a well-written and fun story...the storyline and theme is really good..another addition to sci-fi fans with a lil bit of humor added..
a really good book..i enjoyed reading the mystery and of course- well really the fascinating traits of Tim Carr and its consequences....the author has shown that he could really develop a story..given a small setting..nice work!

After sarcastic lower level crewman Tim Carr sees a light outside the ship, he tries to convince Comm Officer Hanna Merrick that there's something out there besides a dying star. Tim is asked to keep quiet about his discovery, however, because Hanna has a plan of her own, which she'll set in motion after the government causes the star to prematurely supernova. Tim’s feelings for Hanna, and his life, are put on the line when he realizes her plan could cause the elimination of an alien species. ( )
  avry15 | Aug 11, 2011 |
We all see things differently.

Space and space travel can have its ups and downs, not meant to be facetious. There are those that direct a mission just as a corporation has its management to direct the path of expansion. Then there are those that are considered the “underlings” who have to mop up the mess that directors and management make – sometimes having to make mutinous decisions and take such actions.

Tim Carr went from “Janitor Extraordinaire” to being a rebel in a far out situation. But Officer Hannah Merrick was right there with him to the end.

If you’re into SciFi and only want a fast quick read - this is for you. This writing is not even big enough for a novella, however, it could be a start to a screenplay! ( )
  nfretwell | Aug 6, 2011 |
This is a very quick little science fiction short story, but unfortunately I didn't relate well to it.

The way it was written felt to me more like I was having a one-sided conversation with someone I don't like, who won't let me get a word in. They just keep talking and rambling on about things I don't care about; and that's what Tim's story felt like to me. He seemed to go off on these little tangents that didn't really have anything to do with the actual plot. In my opinion, this is harmful to a short story since you only have so many pages to read and it's so simple to detract from the actual story.

The story just seemed too busy, as it headed off in too many directions to fully develop even one idea.

There are some clever lines that I thought were funny, and it also wasn't too "science-y" to understand which are both positives about this. ( )
  LaChaton | Jul 24, 2011 |
Short and fast this is pretty good short story. The characters are interesting and the plot is simple but engaging. There are a few things that can be expanded on but the story is a true short-story in that it can be read as a stand-alone, with no loose ends. ( )
  cat8864 | Jul 9, 2011 |

After sarcastic lower level crewman Tim Carr sees a light outside the ship, he tries to convince Comm Officer Hanna Merrick that there's something out there besides a dying star. Tim is asked to keep quiet about his discovery, however, because Hanna has a plan of her own, which she'll set in motion after the government causes the star to prematurely supernova. Tim's feelings for Hanna, and his life, are put on the line when he realizes her plan could cause the elimination of an alien species.
This is a short story of approximately 9100 words, and it received honorable mention from the prestigious Writers of the Future contest.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Christopher John Chater's book Progenitor was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Christopher John Chater is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible