A Night of Scandal = Tortured Rake by Sarah…

A Night of Scandal = Tortured Rake

by Sarah Morgan

well done emotions and dialogue. really enjoyed this. ( )
  crankypants16 | Sep 23, 2013 |
I think I'll always be on the lookout for a book that can equal [b:Just the Sexiest Man Alive|3863861|Just the Sexiest Man Alive|Julie James|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266998279s/3863861.jpg|3909033], which matched up a smart, savvy (but non-celebrity) lawyer at the top of her game with an A-list movie star. It was such a fantasy but as a couple they fit and I loved it.

Sarah Morgan's A Night of Scandal was not the book I was looking for. For one thing, there's too much story for such a short book. This is a category romance. It's short. Yet the hero, Nathaniel Wolfe, is an A-list movie star who is also from a troubled aristocratic family in England. So there's the issue of his fame to deal with, which the heroine has enough trouble with, before getting around to his many deep dark secrets. Sometimes he's slick and cocky; sometimes he's tortured and angsty; sometimes he's thoughtful and caring. I felt like he was a pastiche of half-a-dozen romance tropes, not a cohesive character.

Meanwhile there's our heroine, a struggling costume designer. Nathaniel gives her career a huge bump. He sweeps her away to a tropical island. He showers her with gifts, improves her poor self-esteem, and sizzles in the bedroom. He completely transforms her life. She needs him way, way more than he needs her. There is no equality between them - Katie is constantly dazzled and starstruck, Nathaniel is attracted but totally in control of himself.

This is also one of those books where the heroine wins by comparison. This is a trope I find particularly repellent. Katie keeps pointing out that Nathaniel, as a movie star, is surrounded by the world's most beautiful women. He keeps reassuring her that he doesn't want any of them because they are all shallow shrews. It just seems to me that, "You're the first nice girl I've met, so you win," is an insult to...all the other women in the world. Katie should win on her own merits, because she's Ms. Right, not because honest, nice, caring girls are such a rarity.

MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
All Harlequin Presents are over the top. I mean, that's why I read them in the first place. This one, though, soared to exciting new heights of melodrama and silliness, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ridley_ | Apr 1, 2013 |
I haven't read a movie star and normal girl novel in I don't know how long, but apparently it was worth the wait because this was awesome! I truly enjoyed it, Nathaniel was cocky, proud, reclusive, charming and arrogant - in one word annoying until he met Katie his costume designer after having a not so small melt down on stage when his past decided to come back to haunt him - and then he keeps changing, reacting to her genuine happiness about life, and Nathaniel becomes more and more likeable, charming, and eventually even loveable. But he's just bit too damaged goods and that throws a stick in the wheels of this could be relationship.

I thought Katie was wonderful, she was upbeat even though her situation was bad, she had the ugly sister syndrome with her aloof and stuck-up supermodel sibling she feared comparison to. Still she always saw the silver lining, her way of handling things was talking, constantly, which was deliciously annoying to Nathaniel who was the silent brooding type. It was fun to read how some of Katie's chattiness rubbed off on Nathaniel and some of Nathaniel flare rubbed off on Katie.

The plot I loved, Nathaniel truly was damaged, almost completely beyond prepare, and Katie tried her hardest to help him and duck his advances at the same time. Stuck alone on a paradise island to escape the papz that camped on her doorstep after seeing them leave together after his disastrous opening night, they spend two weeks together, Nathaniel trying to seduce her, and Katie trying to see who Nathaniel truly is, wanting to see beyond the movie star mask.

You'll love this if... you like your movie stars to falls for a plain Janes, if you like your heroes tortured but charming and if you believe that love conquers all, even the lime light and a violent past. ( )
  NiinaC | Jan 24, 2012 |
TORTURED RAKE is from Mills & Boon Modern, new series BAD BLOOD. There are altogether eight volumes in this series which track the lives of a powerful dynasty, where secrets and scandal never sleep, The Notorious Wolves.

TORTURED RAKE is one brother’s story by the fabulous author Sarah Morgan.

Nathaniel Wolve is a famous actor/superstar from Hollywood. But beneath the glitter and the charm he is one tortured man, battling from demons from his past. He escaped into acting to escape from his real life tragedies. He keeps his wounds to himself and never talks about it.

While doing theater in London, his past confronts him and running from it, he runs smack into costume designer, Katie Field.

Katie believes in talking as a way of relieving tension. Now when these two collide and is forced by circumstance to spend a night together at Katie’s home, they are aware of the chemistry sizzling between them and try hard to fight it.

Katie doesn’t want the actor, she wants the real man and Nathaniel never brings the real man to the fore as he is so used to being the actor. Nathaniel whisks them away to a romantic, secluded island paradise to escape the media. And this is where the seduction begins.

Can Nathaniel trust Kathy enough to reveal the real man behind the mask? And will Katie accept the tortured man with the hidden past? What about the secret Katie is harboring?

While discussing this story, someone posed a question to me. Would I like to see this story as a movie? It’s an intriguing prospect. I would absolutely love to see a movie made from this story. And I would definitely like to read the other stories in
this series as the Wolve Dynasty turned out to be so interesting with hidden pasts and skeletons in their closets!

Sarah Morgan is one of Harlequin’s most consistent writers and she always delivers fabulous page-turners which readers find absolutely impossible to put down. Her latest, TORTURED RAKE is fast-paced and feel-good romance that sparkles with red-hot sensuality, sizzling sex scenes, mesmerizing emotion and intense passion.

TORTURED RAKE would also release as A NIGHT OF SCANDAL.
  NasDean | Jun 2, 2011 |
Tortured Rake is the UK title while A Night of Scandal is the NA title.

Nathaniel…Icon. Celebrity. Heartthrob. But underneath the movie star’s good looks is a man battling with the demons of his past. One night he is forced to rely on Katie Field, an ordinary young woman from a very different world. She may be starstruck, but she isn’t blinded by the bright lights of fame. Can Nathaniel trust her enough to reveal the man behind the mask? Let the seduction begin…

"Underneath his movie-star good looks, he's battling with the demons of his past. No one knows the real Nathaniel, they only see the pinup, the illusion he pretends to be. Then one night he is forced to rely on Katie Field, an ordinary young woman from a very different world. She may be starstruck but she isn't blinded by the bright lights of fame. Can Nathaniel trust her enough to reveal the real man behind the mask?" - Cover verso.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,700,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible