The Postmortal by Drew Magary

The Postmortal (2011)

by Drew Magary

Practical Jean by Trevor Cole (hairball)
    hairball: Not directly related--Postmortal is speculative fiction while Practical Jean is more a comedy of murders--but I think readers of one would enjoy the other.
    2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America by Albert Brooks (hairball)
    hairball: Exploration of similar themes with somewhat similar outcomes. The two are a really obvious pair.

Pre-review:

This sounds like what I wanted from Scythe but didn't get, so hopefully it doesn't let me down when I eventually get to it.
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
So bizarre. So creative. Worth the read. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
The novel had a short-story sort of readability to it, by which I mean that it felt much shorter than it was. Enjoyable. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
What would you do if a cure for aging was created? The cure only stops aging and you can still die from anything else. Would you still take it? What are the moral and political implications of such a cure? This science fiction novel explores these types of questions and so much more.

I seriously love Drew Magary's novels! ( )
  Lauranthalas | Sep 26, 2018 |
A dystopian view of civilization collapsing after a cure for aging is discovered. I enjoyed it, especially the exploration of all the social implications. That was the core of the book. It had the flaw of a lot of sci fi, though. The author was better at exploring the ideas than at creating believable characters. I never related to any of the characters and the romance at the end felt vaguely creepy to me.

Here's a complaint about this and lots of other science fiction: in a future in which people's lives are lengthened, authors often assume that women's reproductive years are automatically lengthened as well. But women aren't like men, who keep making new sperm. Women are born with a finite number of eggs. Once those are gone, no more babies. If you have 80 year old women getting pregnant, you need to explain how that is possible. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
In March 2090, a worker for the Department of Containment named Anton Vyrin was conducting a routine sweep of an abandoned collectivist compound in rural Virginia when he stumbled upon an eighth-generation wireless-enabled projected-screening device (WEPS.8) that was still functional after charging. Stored inside the device's hard drive was a digital library containing sixty years' worth of text files written by a man who went by the screen name John Farrell.

In a future where a cure for aging is made available worldwide and people can now live forever, a man on the run from the government must dodge evil green people, government euthanasia programs,and a disturbing religious cult.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,624,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible