The Postmortal by Drew Magary

The Postmortal (2011)

by Drew Magary

Practical Jean by Trevor Cole (hairball)
    hairball: Not directly related--Postmortal is speculative fiction while Practical Jean is more a comedy of murders--but I think readers of one would enjoy the other.
    2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America by Albert Brooks (hairball)
    hairball: Exploration of similar themes with somewhat similar outcomes. The two are a really obvious pair.

An interesting book about the cure for aging and all the crap which will happen because of it. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
This is an interesting thought experiment concerning what would happen if humans didn't age. It didn't have the depth I would usually like for this kind of subject and the plot was fairly weak. However, it is an easy read and not un enjoyable.
  ZephyrusW | Feb 14, 2018 |
I liked it and I think it will be a really great book club discussion. I would recommend this to anyone interested in dystopian or post-apocalyptic stories as it seems to have elements of both. ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
The concept of not aging and living a very long time appeals to many people but it is a polarizing topic also - do you truly want to be immortal? Are you truly immortal if everyone else is too or is that the new norm?. Postmortal covers both sides of the discussion and creates a very intriguing world where people don't grow old.

The first half of the book was very interesting and made me think that it would be a book club book. The second half dissauded me from that - it turned into your typical post apocalyptical type story - too many people, not enough resources, poverty, etc. I finished the book to see how it would turn out but was disappointed in the second half.

The book brings an extremely interesting to light and gives you a lot to think about. Give the book a try and see which side you would stand on. ( )
  mfbarry | Oct 22, 2017 |
Very disappointed in this one. The author relies too heavily on the premise to carry the novel. No interesting characters or character development. Not even a plot really. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
In March 2090, a worker for the Department of Containment named Anton Vyrin was conducting a routine sweep of an abandoned collectivist compound in rural Virginia when he stumbled upon an eighth-generation wireless-enabled projected-screening device (WEPS.8) that was still functional after charging. Stored inside the device's hard drive was a digital library containing sixty years' worth of text files written by a man who went by the screen name John Farrell.

In a future where a cure for aging is made available worldwide and people can now live forever, a man on the run from the government must dodge evil green people, government euthanasia programs,and a disturbing religious cult.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,567,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible