Black Butler, Vol. 9 by Yana Toboso

Black Butler, Vol. 9 (edition 2010)

by Yana Toboso

Tags:Gothic Fantasy, Graphic Novel

Black Butler, Volume 9 by Yana Toboso

Sebastian?!?!?!
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
This is the ninth book in the Black Butler series and it was just as fantastic as all the previous volumes have been. This volume starts a new story arc and oh my what a story arc it is.

The Queen has requested that Ciel throw a party for some important guests in two weeks time. When the guests arrive things start going very wrong as people keep winding up dead with no witnesses! The whole thing turns into a bit of a “who done it” type of mystery with, of course, some strange twists.

There are a lot of new characters in this installment. Including the interesting character of an occult German author. All of the characters are intriguing and engaging; and of course beautifully drawn.

The illustration remains absolutely amazing. I am continuously amazed by the detail in the illustration and how beautifully each frame of drawing is staged. The story continues to be mysterious and intriguing (with some humor of course). This is just the first part of the mystery and I am dying (waa haa haa) to learn what happens next.

The whole story is a bit tongue in cheek with a devilish storm going on outside and a murderer stalking the halls of Phantomhive Manor. It’s very Victorian-horror-murder-mystery in feel almost to the point of cliche’. This gives the story a very entertaining feel and Toboso does an excellent job in keeping the story both interesting and darkly humorous. I just adored it and loved the tone to the story.

Overall a fantastic addition to the Black Butler series. I love love love this manga series. It is so deliciously entertaining and delightfully mysterious. Highly recommend to those who enjoy manga with a bit of a paranormal Victorian feel to them. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 27, 2015 |
This volume confused me. I couldn't see how the stuff with the Queen's secretarial officers fit in with the larger murder mystery portion of the volume. I was also dying to know what was really going on, because there was no way Sebastian had truly been killed.

Arthur, the young, unknown mystery writer, was clearly based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It wouldn't surprise me if Arthur-the-character was only vaguely like the real person, but I still enjoyed seeing a “real person” (one I actually recognized on my own!) pop up in the series.

Inside back cover extra: Black Chief.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Nov 23, 2013 |
And so begins a new arc, which is done Sherlock Holmes style and the death of a main character (even though I don't believe it)?! ( )
  WickedWoWestwood | Feb 28, 2013 |
Wow, this is nail-biting volume. I think this next arc will be more of a mystery I’m thinking. There are some more new characters that will most likely be seen in the future volumes. I can’t say I like some of them. There seems to be a lot of nonchalant-ness when there shouldn’t be. You know, when another dead body pops up. Well I have three people in mind that could be the potential killer but even I’m not all that certain who it is. So I’m on to the next volume to see if it is discovered soon. And to see what Sebastian had planned. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 15, 2012 |

"Earl Ciel Phantomhive's quietude is interrupted as Queen Victoria's very own butlers commandeer Phantomhive Manor for a lavish banquet sanctione by Her Majesty. Preparations for such an event are quick work in the hands of Sebastian, the house's most able butler, but corralling the eminent guests may prove to be rather more of a challenge. For this dinner party is anything but festive, and as a stormy night batters the outside of the grand residence, a far more violent storm begins to unfurl within. And no one is safe from the havoc it will wreak, not even one seemingly impervious manservant"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,843,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible