Eight Keys by Suzanne LaFleur

Eight Keys (edition 2011)

by Suzanne LaFleur

Title:Eight Keys
Authors:Suzanne LaFleur
Info:Wendy Lamb Books (2011), Hardcover, 224 pages
Tags:girl, eleven, sixth grade, friends, best friend, fitting in, outcasts, bullying, middle school, death, loss, father, uncle, aunt, mystery

Eight Keys by Suzanne LaFleur

This book is about a girl named Elise. Elise is best friends with a boy named Franklin. He plays pretend games with her. She falls in one of their games and gets a scab. When school starts, a girl named Amanda says, "hi Scabular". When Elise gets to her locker, it turns out she is partners with Amanda, the girl who teased her. When she gets home, she can barely do any of her homework. The next day Elise misses the bus and has to miss school. She does this several times. One of her aunts and cousins are living in her house for a while. One day, as Elise is building a castle with Franklin, she sees a key. At that exact moment, her thumb gets injured by Franklin's hammer. She finds more of these keys and discovers eight locked rooms upstairs. What will she find in the rooms? This book will keep you in suspense.

I really enjoyed this book. The mystery kept me on the edge of my seat. I wanted to find out more. My favorite character was Franklin because he would always act in an entertaining way. I recommend this book to fans of mystery and humor. ( )
  ditani | Sep 17, 2015 |
For Elise, nothing has seemed right since middle school started. She gets tortured by her locker partner and can't get her homework done. A new baby moves into her house, interrupting her wonderful life with uncle Hugh and at Bessie. Worst of all, things with her best friend, Franklin, I just not the same as they used to be. ( )
  jepeters333 | Mar 30, 2015 |
3.5 stars rating... better than average, but not lingers-with-you-afterwards. I read this with my daughters (5th and 7th graders) and, while 15 minutes several night a week makes this a longer than it should be read, we easily came back into the story after not reading for a day or two and slipped right back into Elise's story. Appropriate for children making transitions into Middle school -- it is an awkward, uncertain, uneasy time for many to go from their known world of elementary school to the unknown world of middle school. Elise didn't make all the right choices and had to make amends for her errors. Of course, by the end, friends, emotions and school/studies were back in the right "place". ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
RGG: A wonderful story with the vibe of Bridge to Terabithia (not quite so sad), but thoughtful middle-grade self-discovery: falling out of friendship, a new school, being bullied, not getting homework done. A must-read. Interest: 10-12.
  rgruberexcel | Oct 17, 2014 |
  rgruberexcel | Oct 17, 2014 |
The trouble all started right before the first day of sixth grade, the last time Franklin and I played Knights. Knights works like this: we get our swords, we head out to the woods, and we go on chivalrous missions to battle ghost knights.

Elise and Franklin have always been best friends. Elise has always lived in the big house with her loving Uncle and Aunt, because Elise's parents died when she was too young to remember them.  There's always been a barn behind the house with eight locked doors on the second floor.
When Elise and Franklin start middle school, things feel all wrong. Bullying. Not fitting in. Franklin suddenly seems babyish.  Then, soon after her 12th birthday, Elise receives a mysterious key left for her by her father. A key that unlocks one of the eight doors upstairs in the bar . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:03 -0400)

When twelve-year-old Elise, orphaned since age three, becomes disheartened by middle school, with its bullies, changing relationships, and higher expectations, keys to long-locked rooms and messages from her late father help her cope.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014134203X, 0141336056

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,670,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible