Our Mothers' War: American Women at Home and…

Our Mothers' War: American Women at Home and at the Front During World War…

by Emily Yellin

This book was really interesting. I've been fascinated with the culture of the 1940s and 1950s lately, and the experience of women during World War II was a subject I didn't know very much about. I liked that the book included so many first-person accounts from women who lived through the war about their own experiences. ( )
  selfcallednowhere | Jul 11, 2016 |
Using a variety of sources and telling many different stories, Emily Yellin shows the reader how women experienced World War II at home in the states and in the midst of a war. School Library Journal called this an "exhaustively researched book", so you know there will nuggets to enjoy. (Gropman, 2004).
  Melina_Hiatt_Easter | Jul 4, 2015 |
In a way, I feel very lucky to have read Our Mothers’ War. The only women I’ve had significant contact with who lived through World War II (i.e., my husband’s and my grandmothers) haven’t exactly been the most willing to talk about that time of their lives. This is most likely because three of them were teenagers; the only one who was of age is my husband’s mother’s mother. The most I’ve been able to hear of her experiences of that time came when my husband’s cousin was asking questions of a genealogical nature. Because of this, I looked forward to gaining some insight into the lives of women during those times.

Full review: http://libwen.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/our-mothers-war-by-emily-yellin-2/ ( )
  juliayoung | Apr 1, 2012 |
I don't think I can stress enough how much of an assett this book is to historians of the era. It covers a broad range of responsibilities that women took over during WWII. From the everyday mundane to the far reaching spy networks overseas. The interviews with several prominent females of the years covering the war make it a great resource for research. What started as curiosity became an obsession. Each category represented has alot of clear information as well as information on where to start new researching options. I can't begin to list all the various historical information that really made an impression on me. This is a MUST read. ( )
  BevyAnn | Aug 14, 2011 |
This book weaves the personal experiences of women, both famous and unknown, into a perspective on WWII not found anywhere else. ( )
  jshullih | Dec 16, 2007 |

Our Mothers' War is an eye-opening and moving portrait of women during World War II, a war that forever transformed the way women participate in American society. Never before has the vast range of women's experiences during this pivotal era been brought together in one book. Now, Our Mothers' War re-creates what American women from all walks of life were doing and thinking, on the home front and abroad. These heartwarming and sometimes heartbreaking accounts of the women we have known as mothers, aunts, and grandmothers reveal facets of their lives that have usually remained unmentioned and unappreciated.

Our Mothers' War gives center stage to one of WWII's most essential fighting forces: the women of America, whose extraordinary bravery, strength, and humanity shine through on every page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:07 -0400)

Our Mothers' War is a stunning and unprecedented portrait of women during World War II, a war that forever transformed the way women participate in American society. Never before has the vast range of American women's experience during this pivotal era been brought together in one book. Now, Our Mothers' War re-creates what American women from all walks of life were doing and thinking, on the home front and abroad. Like all great histories, Our Mothers' War began with an illuminating discovery. After finding a journal and letters her mother had written while serving with the Red Cross in the Pacific, journalist Emily Yellin started unearthing what her mother and other women of her mother's generation went through during a time when their country asked them to step into roles they had never been invited, or allowed, to fill before. Drawing on a wide range of sources, including personal interviews and previously unpublished letters and diaries, Yellin shows what went on in the hearts and minds of the real women behind the female images of World War II -- women working in war plants; mothers and wives sending their husbands and sons off to war and sometimes death; women joining the military for the first time in American history; nurses operating in battle zones in Europe, Africa, and the Pacific; and housewives coping with rationing. Yellin also delves into lesser-known stories, including: tales of female spies, pilots, movie stars, baseball players, politicians, prostitutes, journalists, and even fictional characters; firsthand accounts from the wives of the scientists who created the atomic bomb at Los Alamos, African-American women who faced Jim Crow segregation laws at home even as their men were fighting enemy bigotry and injustice abroad, and Japanese-American women locked up as prisoners in their own country. Yellin explains how Wonder Woman was created in 1941 to fight the Nazi menace and became the first female comic book superhero, as well as how Marilyn Monroe was discovered in 1944 while working with her mother-in-law packing parachutes at a war plant in Burbank, California. Our Mothers' War gives center stage to those who might be called "the other American soldiers." A tribute to the contributions of women during World War II examines how the war transformed traditional women's roles, drawing on letters, diaries, and interviews to describe the experiences of nurses, factory employees, the military's first women soldiers, female prisoners of war, and others.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,801,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible