Out on a Limb

by Shirley MacLaine

Her most controversial book is one you will never forget.  An outspoken thinker, a celebrated actress, a truly independent woman, Shirley MacLaine goes beyond her previous two bestsellers to take us on an intimate yet powerful journey into her personal life and inner self.  An intense, clandestine love affair with a prominent politician sparks Shirley MacLaine's quest of self-discovery.  From Stockholm to Hawaii to the mountain vastness of Peru, from disbelief to radiant affirmation, she at last discovers the roots of her very existence. . . and the infinite possibilities of life. Shirley MacLaine opens her heart to explore the meaning of a great and enduring passion with her lover Gerry; the mystery of her soul's connection with her best friend David; the tantalizing secrets behind a great actor's inspiration with the late Peter Sellers. And through it all, Shirley MacLaine's courage and candor new doors, new insights, new revelations-and a luminous new world she invites us all to share.… (more)

Laugh all you want, I love Shirley Maclaine! ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
...and she certainly is, but hey, she Shirley MacLaine! I love everything she's ever written and admire her gumption. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I read this book years ago, long before LT, and I remember it making a great impression on my younger self. I came across the paperback at a book sale and it brought back good memories. I bought it and am planning to reread it someday. I thought it deserves to be on my LT list. I so admire Shirley MacLaine... ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Nov 5, 2014 |
I have to say I was surprised by this book. I was expecting to read some far out story that couldn't possible apply to anything in my life or this world that I know. I couldn't have been more wrong. What Shirley Maclaine did was take you from the beginning or her search for something in her life that she was not quite aware of. I also expected this book to be a contradiction to my beliefs as a spirt filled christian. I was wrong about that also. She didn't take anything away from the belief in God or Jesus. I read it as the spirit is in us, we are devine because we are the body of Christ. She takes the reader on a facinating journey through her developing spirtual world. I think anyone with an open mind will enjoy this book. ( )
2 vote ShirleyMcLain930 | Aug 3, 2014 |
I sin hudløst ærlige selvbiografi fortæller Shirley MacLaine medrivende om sit første møde med den alternative verden og spirituelle tankegang. Hun fortæller hvordan hendes søgen efter sit tidligere jeg og fører hende til et besøg hos et medie, hvis udsagn medfører at hun rejser til Andesbjergene, hvor hun hos et hemmeligt broderskab endelig når til en afklaring, der giver hende svar på mange af hendes spørgsmål om den åndelige virkelighed ( )
  Gittemay | Sep 8, 2009 |
"Never utter these words: 'I do not know this, therefore it is false.' One must study to know; know to understand; understand to judge."
~ Apothegm of Narada

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." ~ Hamlet
To my Mother and my Father
The sand was cold and soft as I jogged along the beach.
People progress according to what they're ready for.
She said that in order to get to the fruit of the tree you have to go out on a limb.

"This book is about the experience of getting in touch with myself when I was i my early forties.
It's about the connection between mind, body, and spirit. And what I learned as a result has enabled me to get on with the rest of my life as an almost transformed human being. So this book is about a quest for myself - a quest which took me on a long journey that was gradually revealing and at all times amazing.

I tried to keep an open mind as I went because I found myself gently but firmly exposed to dimensions of time and space that heretofore, for me, belonged to science fiction or what I would describe as the occult. But it happened to me. It happened slowly, It happened at a pace that apparently was peculiarly my own, as I believe all people experience such events.

People progress according to what they've ready for. I must have been ready for what I learned because it was the right time ..."

~ Shirley MacLaine

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,487,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible