Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination…

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Bill O'Reilly, Martin Dugard

Series: Killing (1)

Member:kjchenicek
Title:Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
Authors:Bill O'Reilly
Other authors:Martin Dugard
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Bill O'Reilly (2011)

Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: For a rather more conventional treatment of the same history.

It's a very informative read. I've read up on the assassination of Lincoln before, so I was aware of Booth's plotting in the days leading up to it. But the book also included information that I did not know. Example: President Lincoln admired Shakespeare plays. In fact, Julius Caesar is said to be his favorite play. And strangely enough, Julius Caesar was betrayed and murdered by his own countryman just like Lincoln.

It is also noted that Lincoln was assassinated on Good Friday--a special day that is associated with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ (another person who was betrayed by his own people).

The book also mentions that Lincoln had dreams about his assassination. He knew for a long time that Confederate sympathizers hated him. He received dozens of threats and his security detail man even warned him about it. Mr. Lincoln chose to live his life the way he wanted. Deep down, he knew it would happen at some point. He just didn't know exactly when.

It was a fairly good book. I don't think I'll re-read it again. While it's informative and well researched, I think it's just too depressing for me. ( )
  caslater83 | Sep 20, 2018 |
Killing Lincoln is essentially a historical fiction. The events covered in the book are raw history, but the story unfolds like a thriller, and the authors take much liberty with the thoughts and desires of the different folks whose perspectives the reader is bounced between.

It is an intriguing read, and requires no real background on the topic to be able to enjoy. For history novices, it is a solid introduction to the topic and to the period of American history.

For history aficionados, you will likely learn a thing or two about the event. Sometimes these new facts are simply theories (albeit not unfounded ones) and sometimes they are facts that aren't common to history books but come out due to the nature of the storytelling.

This is a good read for anyone who likes presidential history, civil war history or murder mysteries. The only people who may be disappointed are those who are expecting a more textbook-like account of the assassination. ( )
  McCarthys | Aug 22, 2018 |
I thought I wouldn't learn anything new about the Lincoln assassination, since I have read a lot on the subject and watched quite a few documentaries...but Bill fooled me. I did learn some new things, and was riveted by the tale as if I had not heard it ever before.
I was interested in his take on both Mary Surratt and Dr. Mudd, since I have visited both their homes and you get a different leaning on their parts there.
Overall a pleasing experience. I am anxious to read "Killing Kennedy", since I was alive for that event and remember it well. ( )
1 vote phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
Yeah, three stars. In truth, I would give this one two stars, but for the way it was written. First off, this is not a hard history book. Many of the claims (particularly in regards to Stanton) while intriguing, are not accepted by mainstream historians for reasons. Do not read this book if you are looking for an in-depth Lincoln biography or an in-depth look at Booth or the Civil War. If, however, you are a layperson and just want an introduction to the assassination history? Dive in.

The book is written like a thriller, and is certainly interesting. The writing could use some improvement, as could the facts, but overall it is a decent introduction to the time period. I feel all right about a lot of people reading it - it's a good way to introduce people to history and to lead them to better, more in-depth books in regards to that time. ( )
1 vote Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
As I have the other O'Reilly books I've read, I enjoyed this one also. I did get a little bogged down in all the WWII battles, but that's only because I was not familiar with some of them and am not a student of WWII history. As I always do in these books, I learned many things that I did not know, not only about Patton but also about other important figures in the WWII era in Europe. (I learned a new word, meteorism, which means having excessive flatulence. You'll have to read the book to find out who had this problem. I'll only say it wasn't Patton.) ( )
  hobbitprincess | Apr 29, 2018 |
This material [recently published primary sources] represents virtually all of the primary documentary record of the assassination, and is readily available for anyone wishing to research every aspect of the assassination for less than $200. It is inexcusable not to avail oneself of this essential record in researching and writing about this
important event. By their own account, the authors relied on the writing of previous authors, and in doing so perpetuated both a wealth of errors and a number of hoary myths.

O'Reilly, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dugard, Martinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levani, Meryl SussmanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quindós, Paloma GilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorpe, GeneMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Makeda Wubneh,
who makes the world a better place
The man with fourteen days to live is himself witnessing death.

A riveting historical narrative of the heart-stopping events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, and the first work of history from mega-bestselling author Bill O'Reilly

The anchor of The O'Reilly Factor recounts one of the most dramatic stories in American history—how one gunshot changed the country forever. In the spring of 1865, the bloody saga of America's Civil War finally comes to an end after a series of increasingly harrowing battles. President Abraham Lincoln's generous terms for Robert E. Lee's surrender are devised to fulfill Lincoln's dream of healing a divided nation, with the former Confederates allowed to reintegrate into American society. But one man and his band of murderous accomplices, perhaps reaching into the highest ranks of the U.S. government, are not appeased.

In the midst of the patriotic celebrations in Washington D.C., John Wilkes Booth—charismatic ladies' man and impenitent racist—murders Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre. A furious manhunt ensues and Booth immediately becomes the country's most wanted fugitive. Lafayette C. Baker, a smart but shifty New York detective and former Union spy, unravels the string of clues leading to Booth, while federal forces track his accomplices. The thrilling chase ends in a fiery shootout and a series of court-ordered executions—including that of the first woman ever executed by the U.S. government, Mary Surratt. Featuring some of history's most remarkable figures, vivid detail, and page-turning action, Killing Lincoln is history that reads like a thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0400)

Describes the events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the hunt to track down John Wilkes Booth and his accomplices.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bill O'Reilly's book Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,987,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible