Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination…

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Bill O'Reilly, Martin Dugard

Other authors:Martin Dugard
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, First Edition
Tags::incoln, Abraham Lincoln

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Bill O'Reilly (2011)

Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: For a rather more conventional treatment of the same history.

A riveting account of the days leading up to and following Lincoln’s assassination that reads like a suspenseful novel. Although I’ve read several books on Booth and Lincoln I still learned some interesting facts that I didn’t know. This is not a dry account but is written in a way that made the key players came to life.

Highly recommended for those who love history and for those who think they don't but love a good conspiracy/suspense story. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I tend to only read non-fiction when it is selected by my book club and luckily those books tend to be good reads. That is true for "Killing Lincoln". I found it to be very informative but yet still read as a novel rather than a text book - that is key for me to enjoy a non-fiction. If I could give 1/2 stars, this would probably be a 3.5 rather than a 3. I definitely recommend it. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
I was hesitant to read this book because I'm not a fan of Bill O'Reilly's style. But then I figured his co-author, Martin Dugard, probably buffered him a little. I'm glad I did because I enjoyed the narrative style of this biography. Of course, I knew how the story would end, but I loved the personal aspect the authors gave to the storyline. I really felt an emotional connection to the participants. The story flowed well, and I really enjoyed the epilogue at the end to find out what happened after everything was "over". What kept this from being a 5 star book was O'Reilly's bias against one of the characters who was never proven to have any complicity in the conspiracy. I wasn't bothered by the accusation; I was bothered by his whining about it with no proof. However, I still really enjoyed this book. ( )
  jguidry | Dec 4, 2016 |
A riveting historical narrative of the heart-stopping events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, and the first work of history from mega-bestselling author Bill O'Reilly

The anchor of The O'Reilly Factor recounts one of the most dramatic stories in American history―how one gunshot changed the country forever. In the spring of 1865, the bloody saga of America's Civil War finally comes to an end after a series of increasingly harrowing battles. President Abraham Lincoln's generous terms for Robert E. Lee's surrender are devised to fulfill Lincoln's dream of healing a divided nation, with the former Confederates allowed to reintegrate into American society. But one man and his band of murderous accomplices, perhaps reaching into the highest ranks of the U.S. government, are not appeased.

In the midst of the patriotic celebrations in Washington D.C., John Wilkes Booth―charismatic ladies' man and impenitent racist―murders Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre. A furious manhunt ensues and Booth immediately becomes the country's most wanted fugitive. Lafayette C. Baker, a smart but shifty New York detective and former Union spy, unravels the string of clues leading to Booth, while federal forces track his accomplices. The thrilling chase ends in a fiery shootout and a series of court-ordered executions―including that of the first woman ever executed by the U.S. government, Mary Surratt. Featuring some of history's most remarkable figures, vivid detail, and page-turning action, Killing Lincoln is history that reads like a thriller.
Amazon Review ( )
  lmbigens | Nov 23, 2016 |
A quick read. Consider this the entry level book if you know very little about the asassination of Lincoln. Juuust enough to whet your appetite for more Lincoln, Civil War, and conspiracy theories. It reads like journalism style to me, fairly well done, succinct. I read it in a day and a half. Not sure how much O'Reilly contributed style wise but if he wrote the majority of this, he should quit his job as a frothing pundit and write history. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
This material [recently published primary sources] represents virtually all of the primary documentary record of the assassination, and is readily available for anyone wishing to research every aspect of the assassination for less than $200. It is inexcusable not to avail oneself of this essential record in researching and writing about this
important event. By their own account, the authors relied on the writing of previous authors, and in doing so perpetuated both a wealth of errors and a number of hoary myths.

O'Reilly, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dugard, Martinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levani, Meryl SussmanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quindós, Paloma GilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorpe, GeneMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Makeda Wubneh,
who makes the world a better place
The man with fourteen days to live is himself witnessing death.

The anchor of The O'Reilly Factor recounts one of the most dramatic stories in American history—how one gunshot changed the country forever. In the spring of 1865, the bloody saga of America's Civil War finally comes to an end after a series of increasingly harrowing battles. President Abraham Lincoln's generous terms for Robert E. Lee's surrender are devised to fulfill Lincoln's dream of healing a divided nation, with the former Confederates allowed to reintegrate into American society. But one man and his band of murderous accomplices, perhaps reaching into the highest ranks of the U.S. government, are not appeased.

In the midst of the patriotic celebrations in Washington D.C., John Wilkes Booth—charismatic ladies' man and impenitent racist—murders Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre. A furious manhunt ensues and Booth immediately becomes the country's most wanted fugitive. Lafayette C. Baker, a smart but shifty New York detective and former Union spy, unravels the string of clues leading to Booth, while federal forces track his accomplices. The thrilling chase ends in a fiery shootout and a series of court-ordered executions—including that of the first woman ever executed by the U.S. government, Mary Surratt. Featuring some of history's most remarkable figures, vivid detail, and page-turning action, Killing Lincoln is history that reads like a thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0400)

Describes the events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the hunt to track down John Wilkes Booth and his accomplices.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Bill O'Reilly was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,539,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible