Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination…

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Bill O'Reilly, Martin Dugard

Other authors:Martin Dugard
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, First Edition
Tags::incoln, Abraham Lincoln

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Bill O'Reilly (2011)

Recently added bymb66, paulojeda, private library, loscott13, cnfoht, AmishTechie, AmyJ71, fordaddy, meyere, BCL-ICANA
    Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: For a rather more conventional treatment of the same history.

Best Lincoln assignation history I have read. Very well done. Lots of good research. ( )
  ikeman100 | May 7, 2017 |
Suprisingly interesting and satisfying book about the weeks surrounding the death of Lincoln. The book is written as a thriller and is easily read. The delusions of Booth are throughly explored and the period of time in which its written is conveyed. The sense of doom around Lincoln are also covered and the description of his shooting is difficult to read. Recommended. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
A riveting account of the days leading up to and following Lincoln’s assassination that reads like a suspenseful novel. Although I’ve read several books on Booth and Lincoln I still learned some interesting facts that I didn’t know. This is not a dry account but is written in a way that made the key players came to life.

Highly recommended for those who love history and for those who think they don't but love a good conspiracy/suspense story. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
This has been on my TBR pile for a long time. I regret it took me so long to getting around to reading it. It's a great book and I give it 5 Stars

I learned so much about the Civil War which takes up the first 83 pages. I don't usually like reading about war but this was written in a way that made it more interesting because of diaries and other historical documents.

This book is history which reads like a murder mystery/thriller. Even though we know how it all turns out in the end, the short chapters which all have a time line, flew by for me. All I learned in history class so many years ago is that Abraham Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth while watching a play at Ford's Theatre in Washington, DC. Even though I've toured Ford Theatre many times, I can't recall learning anything more. I knew little about Booth and had never heard of the other people involved before and after the shooting.

It's so obvious that this endeavor by O'Reilly and his co-author, Martin Dugard, is thoroughly researched. I like the fact that no footnotes were used but there is additional information in the back of the book that readers can peruse such as an Appendix which includes the Harper's Weekly-A Journal of Civilization dated April 29, 1865. There is a list of books, websites, and other archived information which reflect the main research sources for this book. The index alone is eight pages of small type.

Now I am inspired to read Killing Reagan, Killing Jesus, and Killing the Rising Sun. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Jan 25, 2017 |
I tend to only read non-fiction when it is selected by my book club and luckily those books tend to be good reads. That is true for "Killing Lincoln". I found it to be very informative but yet still read as a novel rather than a text book - that is key for me to enjoy a non-fiction. If I could give 1/2 stars, this would probably be a 3.5 rather than a 3. I definitely recommend it. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
This material [recently published primary sources] represents virtually all of the primary documentary record of the assassination, and is readily available for anyone wishing to research every aspect of the assassination for less than $200. It is inexcusable not to avail oneself of this essential record in researching and writing about this
important event. By their own account, the authors relied on the writing of previous authors, and in doing so perpetuated both a wealth of errors and a number of hoary myths.

O'Reilly, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dugard, Martinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levani, Meryl SussmanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quindós, Paloma GilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorpe, GeneMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Makeda Wubneh,
who makes the world a better place
The man with fourteen days to live is himself witnessing death.

A riveting historical narrative of the heart-stopping events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, and the first work of history from mega-bestselling author Bill O'Reilly

The anchor of The O'Reilly Factor recounts one of the most dramatic stories in American history—how one gunshot changed the country forever. In the spring of 1865, the bloody saga of America's Civil War finally comes to an end after a series of increasingly harrowing battles. President Abraham Lincoln's generous terms for Robert E. Lee's surrender are devised to fulfill Lincoln's dream of healing a divided nation, with the former Confederates allowed to reintegrate into American society. But one man and his band of murderous accomplices, perhaps reaching into the highest ranks of the U.S. government, are not appeased.

In the midst of the patriotic celebrations in Washington D.C., John Wilkes Booth—charismatic ladies' man and impenitent racist—murders Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre. A furious manhunt ensues and Booth immediately becomes the country's most wanted fugitive. Lafayette C. Baker, a smart but shifty New York detective and former Union spy, unravels the string of clues leading to Booth, while federal forces track his accomplices. The thrilling chase ends in a fiery shootout and a series of court-ordered executions—including that of the first woman ever executed by the U.S. government, Mary Surratt. Featuring some of history's most remarkable figures, vivid detail, and page-turning action, Killing Lincoln is history that reads like a thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0400)

Describes the events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the hunt to track down John Wilkes Booth and his accomplices.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bill O'Reilly's book Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,169,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible