SantaThing sign up ends in 40 minutes (23:00 GMT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination…

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Bill O'Reilly, Martin Dugard

Other authors:Martin Dugard
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:To read
Rating:**

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Bill O'Reilly (2011)

Recently added byRachelLeah, aharey, jguidry, mcpheemcgee, private library, CGMLibrary, LitaVore, cookierooks, houle, mgd014
    Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: For a rather more conventional treatment of the same history.

I was hesitant to read this book because I'm not a fan of Bill O'Reilly's style. But then I figured his co-author, Martin Dugard, probably buffered him a little. I'm glad I did because I enjoyed the narrative style of this biography. Of course, I knew how the story would end, but I loved the personal aspect the authors gave to the storyline. I really felt an emotional connection to the participants. The story flowed well, and I really enjoyed the epilogue at the end to find out what happened after everything was "over". What kept this from being a 5 star book was O'Reilly's bias against one of the characters who was never proven to have any complicity in the conspiracy. I wasn't bothered by the accusation; I was bothered by his whining about it with no proof. However, I still really enjoyed this book. ( )
  jguidry | Dec 4, 2016 |
A riveting historical narrative of the heart-stopping events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, and the first work of history from mega-bestselling author Bill O'Reilly

The anchor of The O'Reilly Factor recounts one of the most dramatic stories in American history―how one gunshot changed the country forever. In the spring of 1865, the bloody saga of America's Civil War finally comes to an end after a series of increasingly harrowing battles. President Abraham Lincoln's generous terms for Robert E. Lee's surrender are devised to fulfill Lincoln's dream of healing a divided nation, with the former Confederates allowed to reintegrate into American society. But one man and his band of murderous accomplices, perhaps reaching into the highest ranks of the U.S. government, are not appeased.

In the midst of the patriotic celebrations in Washington D.C., John Wilkes Booth―charismatic ladies' man and impenitent racist―murders Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre. A furious manhunt ensues and Booth immediately becomes the country's most wanted fugitive. Lafayette C. Baker, a smart but shifty New York detective and former Union spy, unravels the string of clues leading to Booth, while federal forces track his accomplices. The thrilling chase ends in a fiery shootout and a series of court-ordered executions―including that of the first woman ever executed by the U.S. government, Mary Surratt. Featuring some of history's most remarkable figures, vivid detail, and page-turning action, Killing Lincoln is history that reads like a thriller.
Amazon Review ( )
  lmbigens | Nov 23, 2016 |
A quick read. Consider this the entry level book if you know very little about the asassination of Lincoln. Juuust enough to whet your appetite for more Lincoln, Civil War, and conspiracy theories. It reads like journalism style to me, fairly well done, succinct. I read it in a day and a half. Not sure how much O'Reilly contributed style wise but if he wrote the majority of this, he should quit his job as a frothing pundit and write history. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
Bill O’Reilly sets the stage for the assassination of Lincoln by providing an overview of the last few weeks of the Civil War. The rage John Wilkes Booth feels that the institution of slavery is being destroyed. The anti-Lincoln protests of the North, more common than battles as the North is fed up with the war.

Lincoln’s dream of healing this divided nation was not to be.

History definitely has a story to tell. Killing Lincoln is well-written, meticulously researched and fascinating in detail. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Nov 13, 2016 |
This was a well done chronology of the events surrounding Lincoln's death. Before listening to this narrative, I only knew J. W. Booth's name. Now, I have a much deeper appreciation of events and more importantly, their meaning and impact on our history. ( )
  L.R.W.Lee | Jul 26, 2016 |
This material [recently published primary sources] represents virtually all of the primary documentary record of the assassination, and is readily available for anyone wishing to research every aspect of the assassination for less than $200. It is inexcusable not to avail oneself of this essential record in researching and writing about this
important event. By their own account, the authors relied on the writing of previous authors, and in doing so perpetuated both a wealth of errors and a number of hoary myths.

O'Reilly, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dugard, Martinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levani, Meryl SussmanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quindós, Paloma GilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorpe, GeneMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Makeda Wubneh,
who makes the world a better place
The man with fourteen days to live is himself witnessing death.

The anchor of The O'Reilly Factor recounts one of the most dramatic stories in American history—how one gunshot changed the country forever. In the spring of 1865, the bloody saga of America's Civil War finally comes to an end after a series of increasingly harrowing battles. President Abraham Lincoln's generous terms for Robert E. Lee's surrender are devised to fulfill Lincoln's dream of healing a divided nation, with the former Confederates allowed to reintegrate into American society. But one man and his band of murderous accomplices, perhaps reaching into the highest ranks of the U.S. government, are not appeased.

In the midst of the patriotic celebrations in Washington D.C., John Wilkes Booth—charismatic ladies' man and impenitent racist—murders Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre. A furious manhunt ensues and Booth immediately becomes the country's most wanted fugitive. Lafayette C. Baker, a smart but shifty New York detective and former Union spy, unravels the string of clues leading to Booth, while federal forces track his accomplices. The thrilling chase ends in a fiery shootout and a series of court-ordered executions—including that of the first woman ever executed by the U.S. government, Mary Surratt. Featuring some of history's most remarkable figures, vivid detail, and page-turning action, Killing Lincoln is history that reads like a thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0400)

Describes the events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the hunt to track down John Wilkes Booth and his accomplices.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Bill O'Reilly was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,652,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible