Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination…

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Bill O'Reilly, Martin Dugard

Series: Killing (1)

1,196926,715 (3.81)49
Title:Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
Authors:Bill O'Reilly
Other authors:Martin Dugard
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:To read

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Bill O'Reilly (2011)

Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: For a rather more conventional treatment of the same history.

It was a well written, well researched book. By after reading it, I realized that it was WAY too much details for me and I really wasn't that interested in the subject. Also there was a lot of details that the author must have filled in because he couldn't have found all those details just from research. ( )
  KamGeb | Aug 8, 2015 |
Rated: B+
Fascinating account of the first few week between the final battles leading Lee to Appomattox and the assassination of Lincoln and the searching and killing of John Wilkes Booth. Couldn't put the book down. Lots of interesting insights I never knew like the larger conspiracy. ( )
  jmcdbooks | Apr 19, 2015 |
This is a day by day, minute by minute description of the lead up to the assassination, the actual killing and the hunt for the conspirators. O'Reilly includes a description of what happened to everyone involved in the case in the years following the event. He also discusses the suggested involvement in the conspiracy of Lincoln's Secretary of War.

Very readable and includes photographs , maps and diagrams. ( )
  lamour | Apr 19, 2015 |
I cannot tell if O'Reilly's idiocy is genuine or contrived. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
I'm simply not a fan of non-fiction. This book was "okay"... I read it for book club (otherwise I wouldn't have picked it up) and I am guessing I'll end up liking the book better after having time to discuss it with others. I actually listened to this in audio book version and I don't feel Bill O'Reilly made for a good reader... every moment listening to him made me feel as if I were listening to a news report -- direct, factual (altho' I've read there is controversy over some of the "facts" in this book), unfeeling. I don't get the connection with the subtitle "The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever". Ironically, after listening to this one book, it seems as if John Wilkes Booth sealed the once divided country as a stronger unified country! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
This material [recently published primary sources] represents virtually all of the primary documentary record of the assassination, and is readily available for anyone wishing to research every aspect of the assassination for less than $200. It is inexcusable not to avail oneself of this essential record in researching and writing about this
important event. By their own account, the authors relied on the writing of previous authors, and in doing so perpetuated both a wealth of errors and a number of hoary myths.

O'Reilly, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dugard, Martinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Levani, Meryl SussmanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quindós, Paloma GilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorpe, GeneMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Makeda Wubneh,
who makes the world a better place
The man with fourteen days to live is himself witnessing death.

A riveting historical narrative of the heart-stopping events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, and the first work of history from mega-bestselling author Bill O'Reilly

The anchor of The O'Reilly Factor recounts one of the most dramatic stories in American history—how one gunshot changed the country forever. In the spring of 1865, the bloody saga of America's Civil War finally comes to an end after a series of increasingly harrowing battles. President Abraham Lincoln's generous terms for Robert E. Lee's surrender are devised to fulfill Lincoln's dream of healing a divided nation, with the former Confederates allowed to reintegrate into American society. But one man and his band of murderous accomplices, perhaps reaching into the highest ranks of the U.S. government, are not appeased.

In the midst of the patriotic celebrations in Washington D.C., John Wilkes Booth—charismatic ladies' man and impenitent racist—murders Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre. A furious manhunt ensues and Booth immediately becomes the country's most wanted fugitive. Lafayette C. Baker, a smart but shifty New York detective and former Union spy, unravels the string of clues leading to Booth, while federal forces track his accomplices. The thrilling chase ends in a fiery shootout and a series of court-ordered executions—including that of the first woman ever executed by the U.S. government, Mary Surratt. Featuring some of history's most remarkable figures, vivid detail, and page-turning action, Killing Lincoln is history that reads like a thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0400)

Describes the events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the hunt to track down John Wilkes Booth and his accomplices.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Bill O'Reilly was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,669,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible